Pattaya booming!: European tourist arrivals "up 10%" - 'FIT' tourists up 30%

rooster59

Tourism is up, are they sure about this? From what I know less and less people are going. After 8 years of more and more ridiculous rules, constant visa changes and let's not go there with the police. I can't even smoke an e cigarette, really!!! I've finally given up with the place

Errrm visa changes actually support longer stays but most are in and out in a few weeks. Why are you confused about expats struggling to stay here and tourism? What a silly post.

E cigarettes? You have lost it. 00000.1‰

Of tourists effected if that LMAO!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Errrm visa changes actually support longer stays but most are in and out in a few weeks. Why are you confused about expats struggling to stay here and tourism? What a silly post.

Of tourists effected if that 

I've lost it? One of us have. 8 years ago I could get a year visa with a 90 day border run. Then it was changed to single or multiple entries of 60 days. Now it's just a single entry of 60 days. Yes, I can see that's really making things easier. The police are completely obsessed with anyone over staying. It'll just mean bigger brides from fewer farang to make up the balance.

26 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Or brides even 5555

Of tourists effected if that LMAO!

10 minutes ago, mike1967 said:
33 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Of tourists effected if that 

Interesting!  Is that why embassies and consulates in neighbouring countries are now often denying 3rd consecutive SE TR?

It has never been so difficult to stay here over 6 months if you are under 50. At least since 2003 to now. 

I've lost it? One of us have. 8 years ago I could get a year visa with a 90 day border run. Then it was changed to single or multiple entries of 60 days. Now it's just a single entry of 60 days. Yes, I can see that's really making things easier. The police are completely obsessed with anyone over staying. It'll just mean bigger brides from fewer farang to make up the balance.

What has it got to do with tourism?

Tourists get 30 days free,more than enough time for a few weeks in the sun . They clamped down on border runs as we both know it's abused by illegals working here. Thailand and most of us do not want desperate zero dollar farang who only venture out in happy hour living amongst us.

The 30 day rule has never changed. I'm guessing you're over 50? I retired at 41 with plenty of money to spend. I don't smoke, only an e cigarette. The fact is the rules have changed and I don't particularly care about the minorities and what they choose to do. You may think my post is "silly" but the facts are the facts. Can someone explain to me why after 8 years of staying in Thailand I find things more difficult than when I first came?

32 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

The 30 day rule has never changed. I'm guessing you're over 50? I retired at 41 with plenty of money to spend. I don't smoke, only an e cigarette. The fact is the rules have changed and I don't particularly care about the minorities and what they choose to do. You may think my post is "silly" but the facts are the facts. Can someone explain to me why after 8 years of staying in Thailand I find things more difficult than when I first came?

Because you are a tiny minority not worth accommodating. The only option now is to drop some cash here.

5555. I think you're right. Victim of my own success. I can't help but feel there's an underlying reason to keep farang away. I know you won't agree with this. For me to come home every 60 days to renew my visa is just too exhausting. If there's a way to stay for over 90 days (60 plus 30 day extension) then please let me know. I'm sure you can see my frustration? I've had to give up my room there and give away all my large possessions as it became a drag constantly having to come and go.

40 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

What has it got to do with tourism?

Tourists get 30 days free,more than enough time for a few weeks in the sun . They clamped down on border runs as we both know it's abused by illegals working here. Thailand and most of us do not want desperate zero dollar farang who only venture out in happy hour living amongst us.

Do you know where all these 'illigals' are working? Just point me to general direction,  the reason I'm asking, every day I talk  to around 10 foreigners in Pattaya, and another bunch in Bangkok who stay here more than 2 months every winter, and I don't know a single foreigner here who works here. Don't you think with all these 'illegals' working here I'd run into one during my 6 months here?

It's difficult to stay here now, and e-cigs, that you dismissed and laughed at are THE reason 2 of my good friends from Europe no longer come here at Christmas, they did come here for 10 years, both quit tobacco several years ago, but are avid e-cig users. All these little things add up, and for the results all you have to do is look around , there are less and less Europeans visiting Pattaya. More and more are choosing Vietnam now.

5 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

Do you know where all these 'illigals' are working? Just point me to general direction,  the reason I'm asking, every day I talk  to around 10 foreigners in Pattaya, and another bunch in Bangkok who stay here more than 2 months every winter, and I don't know a single foreigner here who works here. Don't you think with all these 'illegals' working here I'd run into one during my 6 months here?

It's difficult to stay here now, and e-cigs, that you dismissed and laughed at are THE reason 2 of my good friends from Europe no longer come here at Christmas, they did come here for 10 years, both quit tobacco several years ago, but are avid e-cig users. All these little things add up, and for the results all you have to do is look around , there are less and less Europeans visiting Pattaya. More and more are choosing Vietnam now.

Thank you. I didn't think my post was "silly". Pattaya is going backwards quickly. They want farang money but don't want us there. I'm positive there's a committee trying to find the ideal solution as we speak.

8 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

If there's a way to stay for over 90 days (60 plus 30 day extension) then please let me know. I'm sure you can see my frustration?

Of course. 20 years long enough? http://www.thailandelite.com

Sorted! You're welcome.

No problem as

48 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

I retired at 41 with plenty of money to spend.

3 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

For me to come home every 60 days to renew my visa is just too exhausting. If there's a way to stay for over 90 days (60 plus 30 day extension) then please let me know. 

90 days is doable, 60 days of TR visa and then  have it extended 30 days at Jomtien soi 5. But don't go to office yourself, chances are you don't have all the paper work needed for 30 day extension, you can easily walk out being fined for not reporting your address within 24 hours after arrival, a law that none of us were aware of (and no 30 days extension),  I know I did in winter 2016. Now use an agent. 

4 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

Thank you. I didn't think my post was "silly". Pattaya is going backwards quickly. They want farang money but don't want us there. I'm positive there's a committee trying to find the ideal solution as we speak.

I don't think they know what they want. 

1 hour ago, mike1967 said:

Because selfish sods abused the system to work illegally.

What about multiple entry visas which came in a while back? There's a thread about it somewhere on TVF.

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are thinking like a westerner. The vast majority of Thais don't get more than one day off a week ( if they are lucky ) and a few days holiday during the year, and not necessarily at the same time. They work whether it's a bank holiday or not.

Yeah you are right in the service industry (which is a massive part ) most the Thais I know don’t work in this sector . They get way more days off then a lot of people I know who live in America .

• 9 months later...

Pattaya is very busy all year round in parts....but quiet in other areas.  WS is always busy. Some people dont arrive till midnight! In Soi LK Metro the good bars are always busy the crap ones empty. Beach Rd is busy. Mosy shopping malls are busy. Some Rds are very busy with Traffic jams from Pratumnak to Klang on 2nd Rd.  Soi Buakao is very busy. etc etc.

Archived