BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Pattaya booming!: European tourist arrivals "up 10%" - 'FIT' tourists up 30%

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

...this once charming little fishing village...

You still believe in Santa too?

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

TAT is back in da house !!

Nothing to do with TAT. This guy in the OP is the fairly new president of the Pattaya Business & Tourism Association. When he got the job last March, he said he will continue the work of (his predecessor) Sinchai, who made a name for himself over the past four years as one of the staunchest critics of the city government he was asked to join last year. Now he's at the big trough, I hope he remembers his promise.

44 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Class. Far too intelligent for this forum. I'm amazed you have lasted so long. 

He does have his acolytes.

Im in Jomtien. At the moment it’s busy because’ of the jet ski world championships. The night market is full of Russians , some small restaurants are busy, as is Kiss and Surf . Otherwise, coming back from Pattaya, from the Mata Hari, Mantra, the two nice restaurants each side of the court, then Gians, Bruno’s , Pan Pan, Indian by Nature, Lynda’s, all empty at 8.30  Pm ! Akvavit was nearly empty too. It’s been like that for a while too. No buisness with overheads can manage living only on a busy weekend or short high  Season. 

How can tourism NOT be up??

Located on the shores of the Gulf of Thailand is a breathtaking coastal city with unparalleled natural beauty. In Pattaya, you can marvel at the stunning architecture that shapes the historic city, take a day trip to a beautiful remote island, or simply admire the vibrating floating market. This is a place where an unforgettable experience is waiting at every turn.

This is what Qatar Airways would want us to believe. :)

Screenshot_20171209-091710.png

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow!

By my calculation and reading, tourism in Pattaya is up several thousand percent in the last few years.

It must be soooo crowded that walking down the street is a struggle.

My sympathies, poor Pattaya-ites...

Actually it is a bit of a struggle walking down some streets, particularly Walking Street. I remember when could catch a baht bus from one end of second road to the other in ten minutes or less. Now the whole road is one long traffic jam 

Up 10%   Up 30%  Well whatever they are doing is working. Keep up the good whatever. I do wonder why Pattaya is up and not all Thailand, better counters I guess.:smile:

Anyways, who cares about these numbers? Don't hurt me in the least whatever the number is that they publicize. Go Pattaya number crunchers.

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow!

By my calculation and reading, tourism in Pattaya is up several thousand percent in the last few years.

It must be soooo crowded that walking down the street is a struggle.

My sympathies, poor Pattaya-ites...

17 minutes ago, charmonman said:

Actually it is a bit of a struggle walking down some streets, particularly Walking Street. I remember when could catch a baht bus from one end of second road to the other in ten minutes or less. Now the whole road is one long traffic jam 

So we have choice of believing TVF calculations and reading, or some eyewitnesses on the ground. Now a lot of eyewitnessing is done at random intervals by the near-sighted; hence all the malls are deserted, and at least one member thinks he sees boarded up shops in Central. But the traffic has greatly increased at pretty much all hours, esp on weekends. Check any "crossing Beach Rd." topic. :biggrin:

However, those "calculations" were an anomaly. According to TAT: TVF, tourism in Pattaya should be down several thousand percent in the last few years and up by that amount in the surrounding countries where the great Golden Egg Layers have fled. (See Death threads above.) Even in 1997, when pollution and thugs had already taken over Pattaya and were driving away the tourists, it was observed portentously by a doomster in the Pattaya Mail that Cambodia tourism is growing by 50% a year. Since then, Pattaya has at least quadrupled the size of its economy—and it really shows. Yep, walking down the street, let alone crossing, is much more of a struggle than it was. We have an expert here to verify who may weigh in shortly. Then there's parking, sigh.

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

You can rest assured it will be the worst high season ever. The Golden Egg Layers (the only tourists) have all fled to Cambodia or whatever paradise-of-the-week. In a few short years, Pattaya will be merely bleached ruins and all the Thais now working here will be working in rice fields. Heh heh. And you know exactly why. We have lists of evils.

TAT: TVF has been pronouncing Pattaya dead at least twice a year, once for low season, once for high, for at least a decade. You must awfully new here never to have heard of the Pattaya Perpetual Death Spiral. The phenomenon was first noted in the Pattaya Mail around 1997, but commentary reached full fruition here in the forum.

2007: Pattaya's Dead

2008: Is Pattaya Dead Right Now?

Waiting for this year's high season Death thread.

You must awfully new here ... nope been coming here since 2006 and lived here since 2011 ... it's been going down hill ever since.

2 minutes ago, rtco said:

You must awfully new here ... nope been coming here since 2006 and lived here since 2011

Well, there went your cover. Sorry. Next.

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

European tourist arrivals "up 10%"

Where are they, Pls I would like to meet them.

Was that a typo and they meant to strike the 'A' key rather than the 'I" key in FIT tourists?