Pattaya booming!: European tourist arrivals "up 10%" - 'FIT' tourists up 30%

rooster59

8 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

OK Then How much is a standard room at The Amari? where your pal works?

The online booking facility is extremely simple easy to use and there is help if needed.

There are several hotels near Khao San Road starting at 350B which might suit you better. Hit me up if you need directions but I can't get you a discount on these hotels.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:14 PM, newnative said:

So when you're in Pattaya you seem to spend your time on Walking Street, Soi Buakhao,  and in the beer bars between Walking Street and Naklua.  Which is fine.  Enjoy.  Knock yourself out.  But before you describe the whole city as a *hole you maybe should get yourself back up to the top of that Jomtien Tower you mentioned and you'll see that the places where you are spending your time are just a small part of Pattaya.  I, and others like me, can spend a whole year here and never hit Walking Street or Soi Buakhao.  By the way, there ARE families in Pattaya, plenty of them, but likely not that many where you go.  

LOL. I've probably been around as much of Pattaya as you claim to, and IMO it is all a *hole, just like every badly planned, badly built, rarely cleaned, car infested, dangerous streets, *hole in LOS.

Perhaps you live in a gated community where it's all perfection though.

Of course there are families in Pattaya, but thankfully not many where I like to go.

BTW, Walking St and Buakhao don't make Pattaya a *hole, they make it an interesting place that millions of tourists have spent much treasure to visit.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:05 PM, JSixpack said:

But ALL the significance is predicated on the drains, nothing else. Pattaya's had flooding since forever, a few days every year when people wouldn't be going to the beach anyway. It's made no discernible difference in anything.

If they fixed the drains, you'd merely find a new obsession that everything depends on. It's rather as with the promenade. You were hopping up and down about the shade. Then when it has shade, you forget about that; then everything depends on the seating, and you pretend there's no seating above Klang and pretend you don't have a portable seat. Getting tired of the silliness yet?

Methinks the problem isn't actually Pattaya but with yourself and your own bitterness. Me, I'm still enjoying the place and the people here after many years and adapt to issues w/o whinging about them. And I don't worry about things that don't concern me and I can't change. I don't engage in phony hand wringing just to feel superior.

Thanks for the :cheesy:.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:14 PM, thailand49 said:

It really is to each his own whether you live like as you were on a Island or down with the dirty WS Soi Buakhao it doesn't mean their aren't problems in Pattaya which are many that might make it a shit hole for some. We all like to complaint but in the end if they were ever to fix the problems that bother us many couldn't live here because the exchange rate wouldn't be to our advantage because of that many have their heads in the sand hoping they don't ever fix the problems?

If they actually "fixed" Pattaya, I doubt many that like Pattaya now would want to stay again. 

Hua Hin is often held up as an example of what Pattaya should be like- I never go to Hua Hin anymore.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:13 AM, maxpower said:

Nope, from a family member who works in the industry currently providing services to the Amari Watergate.

Next question.

Depends on the rate they have to pay. If the hotels can't get high paying guests they are obviously going to discount rates to travel agents.

A high occupancy is pretty meaningless when it comes to spending power.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:02 AM, Pilotman said:

Couple of things wrong with these statements in my view. Yes its busy, but I never have much real trouble driving in and around  Pattaya and I can always find a parking spot.  The underground car park near Mc D close to Soi 6/7 is virtually empty all day and is free. It was always  about money, as is every tourist resort in every country and its much better than Phuket.  No smoking on the beach, great decision, keep it up authorities. As for sex, drugs and the Mafia, its a damn sight better than it was 10 years ago, albiet not perfect. 

If referencing "sex" in Pattaya, it's way worse now than 10 years ago. Never seen such a lack of talent in the barbeers.

What absolute crap. I just spent 2 weeks in Pattaya and it was the quietest I have ever seen. Beach Road and Walking street were almost deserted. I could cross Beach Road with my eyes closed there was so little traffic. My hotel had only 2 rooms occupied, the manager said he had never known it so quiet.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, JSixpack said:

So I guess we're done here.:smile: Some do find an emotional need to cling to the ol' dying Pattaya myth. Enjoy.

You seem to have a fixation with the myth as you bring it up to the point of irrelevance.

However, a dead hamster could see that Pattaya is not dying. What is departing, albeit slowly, is any semblance of a fun, cheap and cheerful place for da boys to enjoy themselves.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends on the rate they have to pay. If the hotels can't get high paying guests they are obviously going to discount rates to travel agents.

A high occupancy is pretty meaningless when it comes to spending power.

You are right because most of the figures are based on block bookings. However, these are not cheap end block bookings I speak of. If you browse a vacation brochure you will find various packages to suit different pockets.

1 minute ago, maxpower said:

You are right because most of the figures are based on block bookings. However, these are not cheap end block bookings I speak of. If you browse a vacation brochure you will find various packages to suit different pockets.

Some years ago I found that a package tour including flights and a high class hotel would have cost me less than paying for my own air ticket and staying at a 300 baht a night "guest house". Unfortunately I couldn't find someone else to share the package with as it was only for couples.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some years ago I found that a package tour including flights and a high class hotel would have cost me less than paying for my own air ticket and staying at a 300 baht a night "guest house". Unfortunately I couldn't find someone else to share the package with as it was only for couples.

Walk off the street and book 14 nights at a Pattaya luxury hotel and you might find yourself needing a loan.  

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:25 AM, Peterw42 said:

Observations from someone who actually lives in Pattaya (Jomtien).

My condo block is full, slowly filling up since mid November,  according to the office 95% occupancy, car park is full, if your not at the pool at 7am forget about a deck chair, the gym isnt to crowded at 10pm. A large demographic of Europeans here for 1-2 months over winter, Russian families, independent Chinese tourists (female). Extra security staff and office girl to cover high season. Local 7/11 is 3 deep at the counter, local Thai eatery a wait for food.

Regular Friday night drinks at Rompo. Last Friday night, 10-20 of us (with GFs, wifes etc) who meet every friday. Our regular bar (seats maybe 60 people) was full, no seats left. The management scrabbling to find extra seats to accommodate us.

Eating out, regular (2-3 times a week) trip down to Jomtein night market, get some takeaway and eat at the beach or back home. No parking available at the market so parked 100 m away, the market was so full of families, couples etc, to the point were we gave up, back home for 7/11 ham and cheese toasties.

Grocery shopping, yesterday BigC pattaya klang, it must have been European pension day as it was spot the Thai person. A trolley traffic jam in the cheese aisle, all check outs open and 6-8 people waiting in line.

Drop off some laundry, yesterday I took 2 pillows to the local laundry, The girl said flat out NO,  then joked to come back in February. took me out the back and showed me a pile of laundry the size of a small car that she was trying to get through.

That is the reality of Pattaya/Jomtien, the next couple of months is a nightmare.I wish all the doom and gloom, pattaya is dieing, rubbish was actually true. 

Back in the "good old days", there was a sexpat bum on every bar stool in soi bucaoe and and a sexpat for every bargirl. Nowadays its families, couples, independent travellers going to floating markets, underwaterworld, tiger parks, waterparks, night markets, wineries, they dont go to hooker bars and they dont rent girlfriends.

True.

What I fail to understand though is why anyone not interested in the bar scene that could afford to go elsewhere would choose a place that is a *hole, has a filthy beach, few tourist attractions in the immediate vicinity, and with shockingly bad traffic. It's not as though better beaches don't abound in LOS and for scenery Chiang Mai is far, far superior.

I could understand them staying along Jomptien beach as places like waterparks and the beach is better than Pattaya, but I don't get why they stay in Pattaya.

I suspect it's all a tourist industry scam, as the hotels do look pretty in the brochures.

I don't include Chinese or Indians in that as the Chinese like seafood and I assume the city is a step up on whatever *hole they come from. The Indians, IMO, like that it's cheap, has a lot of other Indians, and can get a GF on Beach Rd. They don't like having to pay for drinks in a barbeer though, for reasons I can't say on here.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, newnative said:

If I remember, you are in central Pattaya.  It's been my observation, also living there, that Pattaya itself has not really had a low season for several years now.  It's busy all the time.  I think Jomtien and other areas not yet as impacted by the new tourists still see a busier time in the winter months.

I judge low season as when I can walk into any hotel along Second and get a room. 

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You seem to have a fixation with the myth as you bring it up to the point of irrelevance.

I bring it up only when relevant. It's relevant when you try to claim tourism is "down" as it has been claimed for a couple of decades now, when so much evidence is to the contrary. That has the most obvious implication for a tourist town--which is why we have yearly death threads. So the fixation is actually among TVF Posters. I'm merely laughing at it when possible. It's one of several amusing memes on the forum.

However, a dead hamster could see that Pattaya is not dying. What is departing, albeit slowly, is any semblance of a fun, cheap and cheerful place for da boys to enjoy themselves.

I don't recall anything about that in the OP. Have we perhaps encountered an irrelevant fixation of yours?

4 hours ago, Jerry780 said:

As pointed out already the THB is too strong. Once they get that sorted out the tourism will be back to where it should be. Thailand is just not cheap anymore.

True. When I get only 42 something for a pound it's getting unsustainable. It's not like they are offering a better experience than when it was 70 something ( or even 99 as it was at one time ).

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I suspect it's all a tourist industry scam, as the hotels do look pretty in the brochures.

Good point. I wrote in a previous post how Qatar Airways describes this Pattaya. One that hasn't been there before and reads this stuff would be convinced it's as good as Maldives but with a discount.

I do think though that the people that buy into it once would not return.

5 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I didn't directly say you said that; you'll need to apply some ability to abstract the implications of no tourists, or no tourist growth, for a town whose economy depends on tourism.

Sure about that? 5555555555555555555555555

Pattaya/ Jomptien is huge now and the area that "depends on tourism" is very small.

Most of it depends on the same things as any non tourist city.

5 minutes ago, lkv said:

Good point. I wrote in a previous post how Qatar Airways describes this Pattaya. One that hasn't been there before and reads this stuff would be convinced it's as good as Maldives but with a discount.

Unfortunately, in a world rapidly growing to 8 billion souls, there are literally millions of potential sheeple to scam into visiting Pattaya. Not going to change any time soon.

I was scammed into visiting Sri Lanka once by a travel agent. I spent the entire horrible week wishing I'd gone to LOS instead. I imagine the families that visit Pattaya think along the same lines, but in reverse.

2 minutes ago, lkv said:

I see a lot of repeat tourists in my building. However, lack of repeat tourists means little. They are usually the minority in any resort--once you've seen a place, you wanna try somewhere else anyway. So Pattaya will probably get to a usual number, like any mature resort, say, Ft. Lauderdale, FLA. And so?

16 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

I bring it up only when relevant. It's relevant when you try to claim tourism is "down" as it has been claimed for a couple of decades now, when so much evidence is to the contrary. That has the most obvious implication for a tourist town--which is why we have yearly death threads. So the fixation is actually among TVF Posters. I'm merely laughing at it when possible. It's one of several amusing memes on the forum.

I don't recall anything about that in the OP. Have we perhaps encountered an irrelevant fixation of yours?

It's relevant when you try to claim tourism is "down"

I don't claim "tourism" is down, as it's obvious that mongers have been replaced by Russians and then Chinese and now Indians.

I do claim that monger visitors are down, as is pretty evident by any stroll through Soi 7 or 8.

1 minute ago, JSixpack said:

I see a lot of repeat tourists in my building. 

That's probably because they are not aware of better options, but as @thaibeachlovers said, there are 8 billion people on the planet so there's gonna be some regulars.

Pattaya's advantage is that it's promoted more than other destinations and its proximity to Bangkok.

Other than that, it's a sh#thole in my opinion, but different people different taste I guess.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sure about that? 5555555555555555555555555

Pattaya/ Jomptien is huge now and the area that "depends on tourism" is very small.

Most of it depends on the same things as any non tourist city.

One of the sillier statements I've heard recently. Probably depends on your definition of tourists as only mongers living in fleabags on Soi Buakhao and patronizing beer bars--a common assumption here, though.

However, you've contradicted yourself again, as when I pointed out your prophecy in 2009 that CentralFesival would go bankrupt, your reply was that you didn't anticipate the Thai tourism. :cheesy:

Anyway, even if we didn't think that, so many TVF posters do in the yearly Death threads. So now you can argue that the tourism doesn't matter! :biggrin: I love this forum.

1 minute ago, lkv said:

That's probably because they are not aware of better options, but as @thaibeachlovers said, there are 8 billion people on the planet so there's gonna be some regulars.

Pattaya's advantage is that it's promoted more than other destinations and its proximity to Bangkok.

Other than that, it's a sh#thole in my opinion, but different people different taste I guess.

I think they may be mongers, which would make repeat visits.

1 minute ago, JSixpack said:

One of the sillier statements I've heard recently. Probably depends on your definition of tourists as only mongers living in fleabags on Soi Buakhao and patronizing beer bars--a common assumption here, though.

However, you've contradicted yourself again, as when I pointed out your prophecy in 2009 that CentralFesival would go bankrupt, your reply was that you didn't anticipate the Thai tourism. :cheesy:

Anyway, even if we didn't think that, so many TVF posters do in the yearly Death threads. So now you can argue that the tourism doesn't matter! :biggrin: I love this forum.

What do mongers living off Buakhao have to do with commuters living in Pattaya suburbs?

2 minutes ago, lkv said:

No, these Europeans are quite aware of all the options. Yeah, they know all about Spain. And your 8 billon simply reinforces my point that there are always plenty more to come who haven't ever been. Another false assumption we often operate on here is that the population never changes: only the same people exist that have always existed. The population never changes; so once they've all seen Pattaya, that's IT. It assumes there's no birth rate. :smile:

No, it isn't promoted more than other destinations. Yes, proximity to Bangkok is a very big draw.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think they may be mongers, which would make repeat visits.

Some are but others aren't. Got one old lady who walks w/ a cane who rents a condo in my building every year. OH--she's a monger, hee hee! As I noted, the percentage of regulars isn't so critical . . . except that you think the mongers are, again.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What do mongers living off Buakhao have to do with commuters living in Pattaya suburbs?

Almost nothing nowadays as the tourist demographic has changed so dramatically. But they had something to do with the commuters back in 1994 where you live. Hence when CentralFestival would go bankrupt as the mongers wouldn't pay "Bangkok prices," the commuters working there would lose their jobs and and their spending power. But as you noted the mongers were replaced by another tourist demographic you didn't anticipate--for some reason.

1 minute ago, Banana7 said:

I just checked with my GF who works at a 4 star hotel here in Pattaya. She said hotel occupancy was 63% on Monday Dec. 11, 2017 and on Tuesday it was 62%, not very busy for high season.

High season isn't in full swing. 63% isn't all that bad. Mondays aren't as good as weekends. Holidays count for a lot, just as with shopping malls.

A comparison w/ Monday, Dec 12, 2016, would be apt.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I've probably been around as much of Pattaya as you claim to, and IMO it is all a *hole, just like every badly planned, badly built, rarely cleaned, car infested, dangerous streets, *hole in LOS.

Perhaps you live in a gated community where it's all perfection though.

Of course there are families in Pattaya, but thankfully not many where I like to go.

BTW, Walking St and Buakhao don't make Pattaya a *hole, they make it an interesting place that millions of tourists have spent much treasure to visit.

Well , you've definitely been around more bars than me but I doubt anything else if you believe it's all bad.  Or, maybe the last time you saw any of it beyond the bars was that time you ventured away from Walking Street 10 years ago to go up 'Jomptien Tower' (Probably you meant Pattaya Park Tower.)  

Archived