"Sound of Music" safety plan abandoned after road chief uses his initiative

webfact

"Sound of Music" safety plan abandoned after road chief uses his initiative

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that a project to stop accidents on a stretch of scenic Phetchabun road had been abandoned after it failed to work.

"Rumble strips" had been painted on the hard shoulder of a road that became known as the "Sound of Music" highway.

It appeared it was now more dangerous than before so the strips were hastily removed.

Netizens questioned whether public money was used to finance the scatterbrain scheme.

But director of rural roads in the north eastern Thai province Klaharn Tharaksa claimed he had used his own money for the paint.

That had cost him 20,000 baht excluding labor.

He said it was an experimental project and as such he decided to use his own initiative and get painters to work out of regular hours such as at weekends and at night.

But it hadn't worked and now he was forced to scrape off the strips and go back to square one.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-11

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

What was the thinking behind the idea and how did it make the situation worse?

Just what I was thinking.

Also why were the 'rumble strips' painted on the hard shoulder? Surely the main carriageway would be where the traffic needs 'calming' more, the hard shoulder has slow(er) moving traffic on it.

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Also why were the 'rumble strips' painted on the hard shoulder? Surely the main carriageway would be where the traffic needs 'calming' more, the hard shoulder has slow(er) moving traffic on it.

This is really a wild guess.

Slow down the motorbikes on the hard shoulder but it didn't work because to avoid the rumble strips they drove around them causing problems by weaving in and out of the 'car' lane.

Just guessing.

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

The rumble strips create an audible rumbling sound and a vibration in the steering wheel when a vehicle drives over them. The sound and vibration can wake a sleeping driver--giving him or her time to regain control of the vehicle.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Slow down the motorbikes on the hard shoulder but it didn't work because to avoid the rumble strips they drove around them causing problems by weaving in and out of the 'car' lane.

Just guessing.

Seems like a good guess though!

35 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just guessing.

good guess;

a long time ago in south texas not terribly far from the gulf of mexico, sea shells were more prevalent , cheaper and more accessible than gravel; as a result , the main highway lanes were constructed from sea shells; driving there was rough and noisy and beat up the tires;

as a result , we all drove on the shoulders and not the main lanes;

even on longish drives like 3 hours to san antonio

Just now, YetAnother said:

good guess;

a long time ago in south texas not terribly far from the gulf of mexico, sea shells were more prevalent , cheaper and more accessible than gravel; as a result , the main highway lanes were constructed from sea shells; driving there was rough and noisy and beat up the tires;

Yeah, sometimes you see a similar situation here.

HGVs driving in the outside lane when the inside lane is empty. The over-used inside lane often becomes 'rough' due to the heavy HGV usage.

4 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

good guess;

I can remember a couple of roads done that way in West Africa. Crushed seashells.

I always thought they looked beautiful but kept thinking of the 'road rash' if you came off a bike on one of them.

As there seems to be an absence of any meaningful initiatives from Central Government, I think this guy should be applauded for at least attempting something. If it was public money, then it was well spent (compared to many hair-brained schemes) even if it failed.

I can see how the rumble strips might have worsened the situation, by causing motorcyclists to ride nearer to the larger traffic.

IMHO - Mocking someone for trying something different just discourages everyone from trying.

In Canada the rumble strips are etched into the pavement on the side of the 

road not painted on. As for why it was more dangerous I am at a loss. Of

course the painted surface is more slippery when it rains. 

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Back to the drawing board,for the next bright idea,stolen from the

West.

regards worgeordie

A Thai actually learns and tries to integrate Western safety measures into the traffic system, and you characterize it as "stealing"?

y'know! if they're sooo wanting for putting some sound of music, up thru them thar' hills, 

they need to get serious;

and create the actual 'elevator music'

The Thais could then for once claim something 'original' (thinking) , by:

redesigning the Mark/Space ratio (the duty cycle) of the layed strips...

all those B Flats and C minors, and a heap of Sharp Es for the Bends - 

(and the volume can even be controlled, using shallow or deeper 'mounds'

Put them all together in the right sequence (and spacings),

and you get an actual 'Tune'... :partytime2: 

...a sweet melody in the motorcycle lane would sure sound better than the default (rang-a-dang-a-dang)

Rumble strips that thin and that closely spaced would be death for motosai riders, especially in the first half hour of a rain storm when the water mixes with the diesel and oil on the road and makes it slippery as ice. I doubt that many in Thailand would get up on the pegs to navigate that stretch of road. But the thinking - or lack of it - is what gets to me. On the four-lane divided road heading out of my little town, the police put up a semi-permanent traffic checkpoint. They stationed it in the slow lane, about fifteen meters past the u-turn spot in the fast lane. I stopped and told the sergeant-major, whom I know, that it was an accident waiting to happen. He said no, it will prevent accidents, sill farang. Three majors, seven hospitalizations within a week, and they decided to remove it. Grrrrr.....

6 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Near my home in Australia they are on the road edge as a simple wake up call that you are getting too close to running off the edge. Don't understand what the problem is, the story is not clear on this. 

Correct. They should be ON the white line. I assume the problems were from motorcyclists falling off.

It's a good idea, but they put them in the wrong place.

Rumble strips are a great help when one isn't paying attention and wanders too far left.

Archived