Net Idol arrested for e-cigarette faces 5 years saying police treatment "over the top"

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So people who vape are avoiding paying the excise duty on cigs.  Following this logic, I and millions of other non-smokers are also not paying this tax. Should we be worried? could we be fined and slung in the slammer for committing this heinous crime?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The penalties are severe because it comes under sections of the law related to avoiding excise duty.

Having bothered to watch the vid... I can’t see any bother regards the police treatment of this villain.... in fact, they seem to be handling her quite gently considering she’s throwing herself around... perhaps restraints should have been used.

that said.... the punishment being discussed is mind boggling... absolutely mind boggling.... and I can assure you all, my mind can’t handle too much more boggling at my age

so... moving on... this is based on avoidance of excise.... ok... but....

if you bring one into the country with you... chances are you may have paid tax on it back home, so no avoidance.

or you could buy it at a vendor at central festival... how is one to know which sellers in that complex comply with their tax requirements. When I buy something, I assume a portion of the cost is tax

or you can buy it from a street vendor.... along with a myriad other fake products,.... all untaxed, yet freely available with police knowledge

or you can mail order stuff from China.... no tax for thailand (not on any of the small items I buy anyway)

In my mind, the seller of the product... any product, that has avoided paying the excise duty, should be targeted, not the end user, or as I have mentioned previously, penalties of 10:1 should exist.... ten times higher for the seller (its them avoiding excise duty.... not the user)

the thai injustice system is in overdrive..... not dissimilar to smokers being automatically guilty of Thailand’s littering problem... or.... you guessed it... etc.... etc..... etc

2 hours ago, jimn said:

Stupid behaviour by a stupid woman who thought she was above the law. Like it or not e cigs are illegal here. Most people know that. Police were well within their rights to drag here to a cell. In fact I thought they were quite restrained. In some countries much more force would have been used.

The kind of straight wholesomeness you support here is why many years back I sought to flee Australia for less regimented environments not wishing to nanny its citizens' lives. Thailand now seems determined to join the ranks of countries espousing puritanical policies and lifestyles while maintaining a hypocritical oversight of the excesses of the rich and powerful. 5 years jail for possession of an ecig and vaping paraphernalia is absurd. 

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Am I right that E cigarettes are illegal in the Kingdom but the rest of the World recognises that these cigarettes are widely available in the high street to help people quit smoking if this is correct they need to ensure that all airlines bound for Thailand make passengers aware that it is a very serious offence to bring these inhalers into the country . :(

They tell u on Thai airways

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Stupid behaviour by a stupid woman who thought she was above the law. Like it or not e cigs are illegal here. Most people know that. Police were well within their rights to drag here to a cell. In fact I thought they were quite restrained. In some countries much more force would have been used.

“ drag “ her to cell, very funny

Well of course the fine is because taxes haven't been paid on the import of the ecigs. When I was in Morocco the jail time on Kif (marijuana ) was because the taxes hadn't been paid on the tobacco it was cut with. Your friends could actually pay the government there and you would be released from prison because the taxes were now paid. Bizarre. Of course the king back then owned all the tobacco companies. 

So if you attempt to kill somebody while vaping you will get the heavier sentence for vaping. 555 I would see tourists vaping on the beach in Phuket......I dont think they had a clue, and nor did I.

Am I right that E cigarettes are illegal in the Kingdom but the rest of the World recognises that these cigarettes are widely available in the high street to help people quit smoking if this is correct they need to ensure that all airlines bound for Thailand make passengers aware that it is a very serious offence to bring these inhalers into the country . [emoji20]

You are completely wrong.
E-CIGARETTES are banned in many countries in Asia and in Europe only Austra banned them completely , but restrictions also in Scandinavia and Germany.

11 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

They lost the plot.

Hard drugs are not penalised that hard, oh hold on a minute, a good little earner for everyone sooo.

It wouldnt surprise me if these dumbarses mistakenly think that vaping is drug use.

3 hours ago, farcanell said:

Having bothered to watch the vid... I can’t see any bother regards the police treatment of this villain.... in fact, they seem to be handling her quite gently considering she’s throwing herself around... perhaps restraints should have been used.

that said.... the punishment being discussed is mind boggling... absolutely mind boggling.... and I can assure you all, my mind can’t handle too much more boggling at my age

so... moving on... this is based on avoidance of excise.... ok... but....

if you bring one into the country with you... chances are you may have paid tax on it back home, so no avoidance.

or you could buy it at a vendor at central festival... how is one to know which sellers in that complex comply with their tax requirements. When I buy something, I assume a portion of the cost is tax

or you can buy it from a street vendor.... along with a myriad other fake products,.... all untaxed, yet freely available with police knowledge

or you can mail order stuff from China.... no tax for thailand (not on any of the small items I buy anyway)

In my mind, the seller of the product... any product, that has avoided paying the excise duty, should be targeted, not the end user, or as I have mentioned previously, penalties of 10:1 should exist.... ten times higher for the seller (its them avoiding excise duty.... not the user)

the thai injustice system is in overdrive..... not dissimilar to smokers being automatically guilty of Thailand’s littering problem... or.... you guessed it... etc.... etc..... etc

Now, now, ... you are using logic! This will not do.

•  
But a top lawyer said that she could still face 5 years in jail and a fine of four times the value of the vaping equipment and fluid that was found hidden in the console of her car.

Top lawyer! Got his degree in a pack of cereal!

Pattaya station chief Apichai Krobpetch stood his ground saying that the Manutsaya was welcome to make a complaint that would be investigated to provide justice for all sides.

Investigated and swept under the carpet!

Popular online lawyer Kertphon Kaewket reminded the public that the importation of e-cigarettes and vaping fluid was a serious offence that could land people in jail for ten years and command 500,000 baht fines.

Why is not selling Red Bull a serious offense? Clearly the Red Bull Boss kills a cop and no justice!

But even possession was serious and could generate a 5 year prison term and from half to four times the value of the goods seized.

Also whilst at it Why is not selling real smokes that cause cancer a serious offense, Gee whiz because they make a lot of money for ciggy manufacturers in Thailand is my guess. LOL

It would be pointless to claim that you did not know the law as a defense. Everyone must know the law and it would be assumed that someone caught with an e-cigarette would know that it was illegal to import them and have them in your possession.

I bet 99% of Falangs would NOT know that law and I have spoken to many. How do you currently inform them. Bet no info. Basic step if this is such a danger( LMAO) then as good info exercise as they go through customs, as a minimum, give them a card to say so.Will this happen? Of course not . Tea money needs to be made!

Perfectly OK to fire of your gun in the air at market in Bangkok at lunchtime without sanction or jump up and down on someone's car in the middle of the road whilst having a hissy-fit over nothing...but smoking on the beach or using an e-cigarette is some sort of crime given the same treatment as attempted murder. The Thai lifestyle killjoys are sure getting their way these days. Pfft!

23 hours ago, thaifan01 said:

Here we go again, bring the popcorn  :partytime2:   I can't see the case here, really.

The socalled internet celeb broke the law and got caught. Then she refused to follow orders from the police, so she needed some help - no wrongdoing from RTP at all in my opinion.

The poor "celeb" was probably drugged up on meth as well, and that could explain her behaviour

You can´t see the problem? you have a serious problem. 

Punishment for e cigaretes is a joke, as you allow to sell normal cigaretes, 5 years for owning a e-cigaretes is correct for you`? what are you saying if there will be a 5 year punishment  for wearing a red shirt, you would also argue, oh she break the law, so everything is correct.

people like you make it easy for dictators and police states to run goverment.

I wish you will get punished same like her for a simalar creasy and stupid offence 

11 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Perfectly OK to fire of your gun in the air at market in Bangkok at lunchtime without sanction or jump up and down on someone's car in the middle of the road whilst having a hissy-fit over nothing...but smoking on the beach or using an e-cigarette is some sort of crime given the same treatment as attempted murder. The Thai lifestyle killjoys are sure getting their way these days. Pfft!

No attempted Murder you get a talking too and ends up being a misunderstanding and let go 

1 hour ago, chickenrunCM said:

You can´t see the problem? you have a serious problem. 

Punishment for e cigaretes is a joke, as you allow to sell normal cigaretes, 5 years for owning a e-cigaretes is correct for you`? what are you saying if there will be a 5 year punishment  for wearing a red shirt, you would also argue, oh she break the law, so everything is correct.

people like you make it easy for dictators and police states to run goverment.

I wish you will get punished same like her for a simalar creasy and stupid offence 

No, I really can't see the problem here. The case is that she claims that the police treated her bad, my opinion is that they did not. 

When it comes to the law and penalty for braking it, it is ridiculous as many other laws and penalties around the world - but again, THAT was not the case, mr Einstein. I suggest that you read and think next time (and may an English language spelling class would help you as well).

Have a merry and peaceful x-mas    :clap2:

Archived