Net Idol arrested for e-cigarette faces 5 years saying police treatment "over the top"

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12-12-2017 at 4:58 AM, ezzra said:

All this hoopla for an E- cigarette? they're treating her worse than a murderer,

have they lost their minds there? I'd shudder to think had she smoked

this thing on the beach, than all hell will break loose i'm sure...

5 years for possession of an e-cigarette and/or 500,000 THB fine..

1 year for smoking on the beach and/or 100,000 THB fine.

So let me get this right, owning and using E-gigs in Thailand is illegal because its bad for your health (so some say) and it encourages children to smoke? But! Smoking a real cigarette is OK? As it doesn't really encourage children to smoke and not so bad for your health, Because the Thailand tobacco monopoly say that you pay tax and we've put big pictures on the packs, ( to scare children)so you will cut down, but its bad to smoke imports because they are cheaper and pay less tax, and because there is no tobacco tax we can get from E-cig, that makes them all very bad. Plus you could put harmful drugs into an E-cig. which of course would mean spending some of your drug money on one rather than buying a fresh water bottle and a straw or  pack of rolling papers, which is good because you pay tax on that! Is that it? 

15 minutes ago, steven2018 said:

The problem with e-cigarettes is... How can one be sure of what is in that liquid being smoked.

Posted from Android using Tapatalk

quite a few different elements, to that of the 7000+ chemicals, heavy metals etc etc that's added to tobacco

... and an undeveloped taxation schedule

54 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

So let me get this right, owning and using E-gigs in Thailand is illegal because its bad for your health (so some say) and it encourages children to smoke? But! Smoking a real cigarette is OK? As it doesn't really encourage children to smoke and not so bad for your health, Because the Thailand tobacco monopoly say that you pay tax and we've put big pictures on the packs, ( to scare children)so you will cut down, but its bad to smoke imports because they are cheaper and pay less tax, and because there is no tobacco tax we can get from E-cig, that makes them all very bad. Plus you could put harmful drugs into an E-cig. which of course would mean spending some of your drug money on one rather than buying a fresh water bottle and a straw or  pack of rolling papers, which is good because you pay tax on that! Is that it? 

Just about on the button!

16 hours ago, elgenon said:

I guess I'm confused because the story didn't say why she was stopped by the police.  And it said the e-cig and liquid were hidden.

Apparently she was stopped at a check point because she has a suspicious car! I kid you not! From a previous post:-

"Video: Controversial "net idol" dragged to the cells after E-Cigarette found in her car.

Cops led by Chainarong Chai-in had set up the checkpoint to guard against crime and illegal activity when they saw a suspicious Mitsubishi car approaching."

3 hours ago, phetpeter said:

So let me get this right, owning and using E-gigs in Thailand is illegal because its bad for your health (so some say) and it encourages children to smoke? But! Smoking a real cigarette is OK? As it doesn't really encourage children to smoke and not so bad for your health, Because the Thailand tobacco monopoly say that you pay tax and we've ut big pictures on the packs, ( to scare children)so you will cut down, but its bad to smoke imports because they are cheaper and pay less tax, and because there is no tobacco tax we can get from E-cig, that makes them all very bad. Plus you could put harmful drugs into an E-cig. which of course would mean spending some of your drug money on one rather than buying a fresh water bottle and a straw or  pack of rolling papers, which is good because you pay tax on that! Is that it? 

Only very slightly wrong: E-cigs appear to not be bad for your health.

4 hours ago, phetpeter said:

So let me get this right, owning and using E-gigs in Thailand is illegal because its bad for your health (so some say) and it encourages children to smoke?

Stop right there pp. I don't get it. These e-fags are on sale all over. Are the shops not owning the merchandise? I just cannot come to terms with the whole thing. 

In the drug rehabilitation centre at Khon Kaen a couple of years back e-ciggies were used to get the druggies out of their habits.

When did the U-turn occur?

22 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Stop right there pp. I don't get it. These e-fags are on sale all over. Are the shops not owning the merchandise? I just cannot come to terms with the whole thing. 

In the drug rehabilitation centre at Khon Kaen a couple of years back e-ciggies were used to get the druggies out of their habits.

When did the U-turn occur?

It has always been illegal to sell them, and accompanying paraphernalia, but this has only been rigorously enforced quite recently, and in gradual stages.  A few years ago they were openly on sale on market stalls and small shops in malls.

The charge for the user is not drug related it seems, but rather one of evasion of duty and tax.  Farangs have also been charged with illegal importation.

In my view, it's a totally trumped up charge against the spirit of the law, but clearly it can be enforced and any legal challenge must have failed, I assume.

Ecigs are indeed touted as smoking prevention devices and are even licensed for medical use in some countries, such as the UK, where they are regulated, and incidentally championed as nearly safe and thought to be capable of saving hundreds of thousands of lives.

Many mean comments on the girl....not very nice fellas, sorry !

What seems amazing is why they don't make crakdowns on all the street vendors who openly sell this stuff ?

But perhaps those street vendors have paid an "informal tax" to the local BiB ?...

It is much easier to harass, extort and punish one sole individual in place of cracking down on the mafia networks that import the stuff into the country. Shameful

On 12/12/2017 at 5:30 PM, wavemanwww said:
  •  

It would be pointless to claim that you did not know the law as a defense. Everyone must know the law and it would be assumed that someone caught with an e-cigarette would know that it was illegal to import them and have them in your possession.

I bet 99% of Falangs would NOT know that law and I have spoken to many. How do you currently inform them. Bet no info. Basic step if this is such a danger( LMAO) then as good info exercise as they go through customs, as a minimum, give them a card to say so.Will this happen? Of course not . Tea money needs to be made!

I too would be interested to see what law prevents import of 18650 batteries, electronic devices, etc. The reason they don't give info is likely because there is no such law. Only nicotine is probably covered by some excise tax.

33 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It has always been illegal to sell them, and accompanying paraphernalia, but this has only been rigorously enforced quite recently, and in gradual stages.  A few years ago they were openly on sale on market stalls and small shops in malls.

The charge for the user is not drug related it seems, but rather one of evasion of duty and tax.  Farangs have also been charged with illegal importation.

In my view, it's a totally trumped up charge against the spirit of the law, but clearly it can be enforced and any legal challenge must have failed, I assume.

Ecigs are indeed touted as smoking prevention devices and are even licensed for medical use in some countries, such as the UK, where they are regulated, and incidentally championed as nearly safe and thought to be capable of saving hundreds of thousands of lives.

Is it the reason why the rat owner of Siam Mod closed his "company" ?

On 12/12/2017 at 5:01 AM, thaifan01 said:

Here we go again, bring the popcorn  :partytime2:   I can't see the case here, really. 

The socalled internet celeb broke the law and got caught. Then she refused to follow orders from the police, so she needed some help - no wrongdoing from RTP at all in my opinion.

The poor "celeb" was probably drugged up on meth as well, and that could explain her behaviour

You are calling her a 'meth head', because she uses a vape pen?  You don't even know if there is nicotine in the mix.  So I guess music is also the tool of the Devil?  ;)  Perhaps she was frozen into immobility by the absurdity of the police behaviour?  Hard to imagine anything changing in Thailand... Last time we saw social mobilization there was a coup :)

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, hotchilli said:

One word.... REDICULOUS!!!

let off a firearm in the street and get let off with a warning (because it didn't hit anyone)

or intimidate someone with a machete 500 baht fine

possess an E-cigarette and get 5 years..

what a crazy country

Well if you still live in Thailand you better get out quick

In Pattaya, at least, this is used to blackmail tourists. I have had experience with it.

The normal behaviour of a cop would be to discretely blackmail you. If this woman refused or drew attention by becoming loud about that, the situation escalates up to needing to bribe a group, or a chief at a police station, and then to court with costs increasing all the way.

This crazy law definitely exists - the street cops use it to make money. It's a crime they plan to execute - the one who got me actually had english documents on his phone to tell me i would go to court and then to jail (shown just prior to asking for the blackmail money).

On 12/13/2017 at 3:15 PM, sambum said:

Apparently she was stopped at a check point because she has a suspicious car! I kid you not! From a previous post:-

"Video: Controversial "net idol" dragged to the cells after E-Cigarette found in her car.

Cops led by Chainarong Chai-in had set up the checkpoint to guard against crime and illegal activity when they saw a suspicious Mitsubishi car approaching."

You definitively are kidding! What is a suspicious Mitsubishi? This mind is boggled.

On 12/13/2017 at 10:32 PM, harrymmmm said:

In Pattaya, at least, this is used to blackmail tourists. I have had experience with it.

The normal behaviour of a cop would be to discretely blackmail you. If this woman refused or drew attention by becoming loud about that, the situation escalates up to needing to bribe a group, or a chief at a police station, and then to court with costs increasing all the way.

This crazy law definitely exists - the street cops use it to make money. It's a crime they plan to execute - the one who got me actually had english documents on his phone to tell me i would go to court and then to jail (shown just prior to asking for the blackmail money).

If you can understand what she is saying to the police you would understand that they are not trying to blackmail her. She freely admits to possessing, buying and said how much she paid for the vapor device. Her problem is being hauled away to a cell and the policeman keeps repeating he has to confiscate her car as part of the crime. She held some restraint imho, I would have probability lost the plot and given them a few punches if they tried to confiscate my car.

7 hours ago, marinediscoking said:

If you can understand what she is saying to the police you would understand that they are not trying to blackmail her. She freely admits to possessing, buying and said how much she paid for the vapor device. Her problem is being hauled away to a cell and the policeman keeps repeating he has to confiscate her car as part of the crime. She held some restraint imho, I would have probability lost the plot and given them a few punches if they tried to confiscate my car.

Basically, they are treating her (us) as if she were a smuggler, or dealer.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:58 AM, catman20 said:

i think she was properly giving the cops a hard time, she obviously likes the attention when the cameras rolling, u can see shes a drama queen. lock her up just for those tatts she looks like a right whxre.

She's not threatened with jail for giving the cops a hard time. 5 years for smoking is barking, IMO.

13 hours ago, marinediscoking said:

Her problem is being hauled away to a cell and the policeman keeps repeating he has to confiscate her car as part of the crime.

Dear, dear, dear! She'll get it back - after she pays the storage fees - in 2022,

Archived