Thailand has the deadliest roads in the world, new report claims

webfact

Thailand has the deadliest roads in the world, new report claims

rr.jpg

File photo

A new report has ranked Thailand as having the world’s deadliest roads.

The report, released by the World Atlas website, says there is more chance of people being killed on Thailand’s road than on the roads in places like Malawi, Iran, Rwanda and Lesotho.

According to the report, Thailand ranks in first place with an average of 36.2 deaths per 100,000 population, ahead of Malawi in 2nd place (35.0) and Liberia in 3rd (33.7).

The other countries that make up the top 10 include Democratic Republic of the Congo, United Republic of Tanzania, Central African Republic and Sao Tome and Principe.

stats.png

The report is the latest to highlight the carnage on Thailand’s roads.

Last month, figures revealed at a meeting of road safety experts showed that the death toll on the nation's roads jumped dramatically last year.

At the meeting it was revealed that the death toll on Thailand’s roads in 2016 was 22,356 - that was 2,877 up from the figure for 2015 which was 19,479.

Also last month, more damning statistics issued by the Don’t Drink Drive Foundation revealed that on average 61 people are killed every day on Thailand’s roads.

The news comes after Thailand’s government vowed to invest in safety measures to help reduce the 20,000 deaths and estimated Bt500 billion in financial losses every year.

Under the measures, officials said they would crackdown on drink driving and people breaking the speed limit, The Nation reported.

And children from kindergarten age will be taught about road safety.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-12

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, webfact said:

Under the measures, officials said they would crackdown on drink driving and people breaking the speed limit, The Nation reported.

OOOOOH!!!! Another "Crackdown"! How original.

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

children from kindergarten age will be taught about road safety.

That makes sense, as that's about the age they start driving.

=============

I also wonder who the driving instructors will be? Just folks that have been around & grew up in the Psychotic World of Thai Driving is all they've got.

2 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

My, my, what an illustrious line-up of countries Thailand finds herself in - and in fact dons the crown. Well done! :clap2::clap2::clap2:You must be sooo proud to be number 1. Finally an area where you are the undisputed world leader. 

Thailand is the HUB of ALL.

58 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

7-7-7..........there.........fixed!

Don't forget the countless seminars, conferences, committees, working groups, forums and summits on road safety. They are simply grown-up children at play.

11 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

If there're 10 million drivers all put to a test of rules, skill and safety ,

how many would reach an acceptable level to retain their licence? 

That needs to be the starting point,

before tackling the kindergarten

Yeah, tackling both at the same time would be akin to chewing gum and walking.

Joking aside, it's tough to teach an old dog new tricks. CONSTANTLY harping on driving safety from an early age is a great way to start.

Cigarette smoking is demonized ALL the time in the US these days, whereas it was just accepted that EVERYBODY smoked in the 1960's. Now folks look down upon smokers.

In Thailand, being around crazy driving is like a fish being around water. They have no life experience of anything else.

Demonizing careless driving from a young age is a great start, but I say again, they have no qualified teachers with life experience of sane driving habits on that front.

and...of course, as always....it all revolves back around to lazy cops that selectively enforce road rules which allows the craziness to continue unabated.

What happened to Libya?  On the last World Atlas list they had Libya at a rate double that of Thailand's, this time they are not even on the list, and it is only a matter of months between the lists being released, its difficult to imagine that Libya has turned things around so dramatically, seems more likely they have not submitted their statistics and remain at the top.

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

What happened to Libya?  On the last World Atlas list they had Libya at a rate double that of Thailand's, this time they are not even on the list, and it is only a matter of months between the lists being released, its difficult to imagine that Libya has turned things around so dramatically, seems more likely they have not submitted their statistics and remain at the top.

It's a bit like the TVF POTY competion, previous winners not allowed to enter :whistling:

"it's official" - Total nonsense!

This is  a quote from world atlas reporting on a meeting in Brazil where they don't cite the original source of the figures - but it is jumped upon by those who seem to think this is some kind of macabre football league. They are citing death rates per 100k which is only one ofa set of 4 or 5 figures used to report DEATHS from RTAs.......but the article title talks about "accidents" (wrong term) not deaths.....it shows that yet again that the writer James Burton doesn't know what he is talking about.

Thailand still remains as safe as the USA for drivers of 4 wheel private vehicles.

There is one glimmer of hope here, if the continual battering of Thailand on the road safety front continues in the media, then maybe the authorities will finally take the advice that the road safety orgs have been offering for years.

Lets hope they don't take the advice from many on Thaivisa though or the carnage will continue.

11 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I was wondering the same thing. My best guess is that they put Liberia instead of Libya.

I was once offered a flight on Iberian Airlines (Spanish airline) when a flight was cancelled in Europe. I thought they said Liberian Airlines & said "Aw HELL NO!"

And the worst driving test I've ever seen,

they cannot drive after getting their driving license! 

and if it raining, it is a disaster!                                                                                                          And all this drunk driving need to stop,

use a harder punishment that feels hard, really Hard.          

1 hour ago, webfact said:

And children from kindergarten age will be taught about road safety.

The problem is the kindergarten mentality, and I mean that in all seriousness. I don't care if people slam me for calling Thai drivers childish because that is exactly what they are. Every single minute I am out on the road I see behavior that no adult would be proud of. This is an incontrovertible fact, and is the biggest hurdle to improving driving standards. You need to get Thai drivers to think like an adult first before you can ever get them to act like one. (I include male temper tantrums in that childish behavior.)

3 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Thailand still remains as safe as the USA for drivers of 4 wheel private vehicles.

I'll say that driving in Thailand has certainly made me one of the safest drivers in the US.

I see people doing things in the US I would never do in Thailand. I grew three extra sets of eyeballs on my head driving in Thailand. Folks in the US just expect other drivers to behave.

I don't.

Archived