Thailand has the deadliest roads in the world, new report claims

webfact

This is a more complex issue.  First we need someone to understand the root cause of accidents.  

What is needed is to change from dealing with effects of bad driving vs root cause.

Can the Thai mind deal with this.

I realise that the layman or laywoman has little understanding of the influence of their driving on those around them.  for this type a large fine and removal of license would work, e.g. stop car in a driving lane to go to 7-11 or in bus stop for lunch results in loss of license and big fine, then your layperson will get the message and begin to comprehend.

However when layperson thinks traffic violations are liited to wearing of helmet of any sort or not, or driver wearing seatbelt or not = fine or not, the message gets skewed somewhat.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Kiteboy57 said:

Surely if that could be done, Thailand would not have bothered submitting their own figures given how much they rate themselves in all things ;)

Of course it can be done, no one can force any country to submit their figures to a survey, there are loads of countries that never take part and Thailand only releases them sometimes, there are plenty of missing years.

49 minutes ago, carmine said:

As has been said, something to feel truly ashamed about.  Whether Libya or anyone else has been left off the list is irrelevant.  Was is relevant is that this country finding itself on that list is shocking.

Is there any real will to improve things or just the usual all talk, no do?

It shouldn't be shocking, they have made it on to the list for as long as I can remember, nothing has changed.

They just don't get it do they?

Cameras will not stop the carnage, just able to reenact it.

First step, get the police to spend more time doing their job (eg : red means stop) instead of counting their ill gotten money.

Land transport to inflict heavy punishments on unsafe vehicles, along with taxi overhaul,eg:

In 7/11 yesterday saw taxi drivers  buying beer, when I suggested "no drink driving" answer

"just while we are waiting for a fare". There must be a gene missing.

No Thai male allowed to drive. Sorry, but it is the only way)

Problem solved

On 12/12/2017 at 3:20 PM, webfact said:

The cameras would help to discourage traffic violations as motorists would know that the chances of being caught on video were heightened, while footage could be posted on social media, leading to public condemnation that would be worse than legal punishment, he said.

If anyone thinks that Thai drivers care whether or not everyone has dashcams in their cars they are grossly deluded.  The typical way to solve problems in Thailand is to create new laws with drastic fines and penalties and then to apply those laws selectively to farangs since the penalties would cause great hardship for Thai families but not for the rich farangs.

It is catch-22 for farangs now!  If we smoke, they will find a way to fine us.  If we drive, they will find a way to fine us. I wonder how long it will be before alcohol will be banned?

23 hours ago, farcanell said:

I’d be more interested to see how thailand fared if it enforced the road laws... and.... removed unroadworthy vehicles of any description.

What all those food carts and unregistered cars and bikes, probably 20%.  In Bali they say 33% of vehicles are unregistered.  I would imagine the Thailand may even be better.  Especially In remote towns  it could be lots (and lots).  I don't think there are going to any changes soon.  Don't hold your breath and prey ( see if that will do any good).

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

The roads, even in rural Isaan aren't that bad. Thailand has speed limits, even for high-speed cars. 

They sure aren't so bad and I have driven from Bangkok to Korat and beyond. The main highways, which might compare to an interstate, aren't that bad true, it's the rural roads with the blind flat turns, no shoulders, poorly designed intersections, trees alongside the roads, no guard rails for example which were not meant for new vehicles that need to be addressed. As far as speed limits, there is no enforcement that gets a driver attention. You can literally go to prison in some states in the US if you get caught speeding too many times and if you have been drinking you will be going for sure if you are a multiple offender. There is no incentive in Thailand to get drivers to slow down.

40 minutes ago, David Walden said:

What all those food carts and unregistered cars and bikes, probably 20%.  In Bali they say 33% of vehicles are unregistered.  I would imagine the Thailand may even be better.  Especially In remote towns  it could be lots (and lots).  I don't think there are going to any changes soon.  Don't hold your breath and prey ( see if that will do any good).

Yep.... all those illegally modified carts and unroadworthy vehicles.

you know, those vehicles that you don’t see in countries that have safe roads.... road safety being the topic and all... because they are... wait for it... unsafe and illegal.... ding ding ding

but again.... it’s lack of policing that’s the main issue, as Thailand does have workable laws, which are worthless if unenforced.

ergo the worst roads in the world, and whilst I certainly won’t be holding my breath, waiting for change, change is what’s needed, vs burying ones head in the sand and proffering such banalities as “this is Thailand, go home if you don’t like it”.... (which I’m not accusing you of)... as this helps no one, excepting those wishing to break the laws of the land with impunity

28 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Yep.... all those illegally modified carts and unroadworthy vehicles.

you know, those vehicles that you don’t see in countries that have safe roads.... road safety being the topic and all... because they are... wait for it... unsafe and illegal.... ding ding ding

but again.... it’s lack of policing that’s the main issue, as Thailand does have workable laws, which are worthless if unenforced.

ergo the worst roads in the world, and whilst I certainly won’t be holding my breath, waiting for change, change is what’s needed, vs burying ones head in the sand and proffering such banalities as “this is Thailand, go home if you don’t like it”.... (which I’m not accusing you of)... as this helps no one, excepting those wishing to break the laws of the land with impunity

95% of Thais in Thailand are just lovely.  I'm in KL at the moment just having 3 days looking around on my way back to Aus.  3 month home then back to Thailand, can't wait ...  I'd dearly love to fix the road road problem in Thailand.  I used to think the best description of impossibility was trying to kiss a Porcupine. ( a small Australian animal with a hundred needles around it body) or a Tasmanian Devil nasty little buggers, bite your head off if you go near them...  saw 2 stray dogs on a busy street in KL today. The things to fix in Thailand go on and on.  It is most likely that you and I will fail.  Life is short. 

Rash/DUI driving with a sense of impunity due to lack of honest police enforcement could be a cause. Not to forget the poor maintenance issue in many public and private transport vehicles. Let's add the lack/absence of proper training to get a drivers licence. Obvious causes that have been pointed out by many, on numerous occasions.

So nothing is new here and the road fatality tolls are on a constant hike.

Everybody is aware that the Thai roads are a highway to hell (or heaven).

Laying another costly "Road fatality study" , is a bit like dishing out a study that says and supports,  "the sky is blue".

But perhaps it's cultural as Thai society needs public faceloss to react ?!...Let's hope...

On 12/12/2017 at 11:44 AM, Misterwhisper said:

My, my, what an illustrious line-up of countries Thailand finds herself in - and in fact dons the crown. Well done! :clap2::clap2::clap2:You must be sooo proud to be number 1. Finally an area where you are the undisputed world leader. 

Yes. We can now become the tourist hub of the world for traffic death rates.

On 12/12/2017 at 3:42 PM, NoBrainer said:

According to their calculation (which is an estimate ,based on who knows what) the fatality rate is about 70 people per day.

That seems quite high, as even on the busiest 2 travel periods, New Years & Songkran, that is about the fatality rate during those periods.

Maybe those estimates were based on reported figures for those 2 holidays. The normal rate would be much lower.

As I have said before, they could cut that fatality rate in half, just by enforcing mandatory helmut use everywhere in the country, all of the time, by everybody on a motorcycle.

They would do this by way of massive fines and forfeiture of the motorcycles, of people not complying. Habits will change very quickly when it is announced that you will lose your motorcycle for 90 days, if caught riding without a helmut, and the first few hundred people that lose their bikes hit social media.

This could be achieved in 1 month, if they wanted to actually do it.

Agreed. This measure is the same old knee-jerk reaction without any thought.

This  proposed  proposal  to a  proposal is  proposed  supposedly   by  Insurance   magnates  who  in  acknowledgement that  Thai  drivers   are   no more capable  but   more  likely  to  have purchased  a policy  they  presume   makes  them additionally  invincible from  harm  than an  amulet  from a  dodgy   monk  on a  back  street which  has  radically  increased the  genuine  risk  of  honouring    a  policy purchased  from a  driver  who   was  genuinely not  at  fault.

At  the   very  least  it   may  prevent  the  richer   more  influencial a - hole  from  shafting  the  lesser  ignorant  a -hole by  virtue  of   recorded  events. But  regardless  it  will   have  little  effect  on  the   number  of  events.

Take  your time.  ok?   lol

On 12/12/2017 at 9:20 AM, webfact said:

The cameras would help to discourage traffic violations as motorists would know that the chances of being caught on video were heightened, while footage could be posted on social media, leading to public condemnation that would be worse than legal punishment, he said.

I don't see how it could help because:

1. in most dashcam videos, the registration plates of vehicles are not legible
  2. if a video with a legible registration plate were published, the driver or owner of the vehicle could sue for defamation

No most roads are safe to drive on, 90 per cent of drivers are well able to drive safely. The problem up country for us is when drivers come up to the mountains for the weekend from Bangkok. The drive as if they are in-traffic in the city except at double the speed, They travel up each others backsides, with no chance of stopping, they see the lights change, and continue to hurtle towards the stop signal, and then make a extra lane, swerving infront of motorbikes that aren't used to such behaviour. Once up on the mountain the drinking starts, and as the have nothing to do during the daytime they come down into town , for shopping, drivers still under the influence on roads they don't know, but still behaving as if the are in Bangkok traffic. That is when they hit the motorbikes and cars of locals, who continue the daily rides to shop,etc., Us locals are well aware of the actions and where to expect them, and on the return on Sunday, They come down at breakneck speed and head back...remember two full nights of drinking, some will never make it! As for the Police which total some 2 or 300 including district , provincial etc., You will be lucky to find them, we only ever see them all if Royals are coming and then they are out at every junction from the airport to the destination, Police living near me never seem to be at work!  Lets not forget the big 'Overcoat' show, and the minibuses doing the 'Conga' at speed across all lanes and the hard shoulder, and the double deck buses that think they can only travel in offside lane, So welcome to my home and drive carefully! By the way we welcome the big bikers, most of them drive as a well disciplined group and show sense when travelling through, and I mean the expensive touring bikers, not the wannabe Hells angels with big bore exhaust and a few farang who should know better,(that's OK we don't get them anymore they are banned of the mountains 555!)

12 hours ago, Puccini said:

I don't see how it could help because:

1. in most dashcam videos, the registration plates of vehicles are not legible
  2. if a video with a legible registration plate were published, the driver or owner of the vehicle could sue for defamation

"if a video with a legible registration plate were published, the driver or owner of the vehicle could sue for defamation"   or try and track you down and beat the <deleted> out of you!

14 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"if a video with a legible registration plate were published, the driver or owner of the vehicle could sue for defamation"   or try and track you down and beat the <deleted> out of you!

Apologies.

"...beat the excrement out of you!"

It would only take a commitment and carry it out from those in power to make a difference, not perfect but an improvement.  All the cameras and posturing on this subject will not make an ounce of difference unless the powers that be "get" on board.  Shaming Thais has no effects, it's like "water of a duck back".

On 12/12/2017 at 10:59 AM, jenny2017 said:

IMO, it's all the Education, or roughly speaking, the non existence of it is the culprit for all the road fatalities.

How else could you explain why students at the biggest high school in town are allowed to raise through the campus, not wearing helmets and being way too young to drive such a bike?

Well, that 3 or 4 are sometimes sitting on these bikes is just one more additional insanity.

If teachers at "well- known" high schools do not teach about road safety ( because they don't really know it, or don't want to know it and boy scout is much more interesting) and they watch students speeding on campus without saying something, I'm afraid that the education of Kindergarten kids on how to prevent accidents doesn't make sense. 

And considering that education starts at the top, it's time for some/many rolling heads, preferable those from soldiers who think they can take over a country, but none of them really knows what the problems here really are.

Couldn't we just say that the current government has totally failed to even try to prevent anything that harms people here. It's time that the Thai people stand up and make him away. Nobody was electing him, as far as I remember. 

. BTW, nobody wants to hear your speeches for little kids. They aren't kids anymore. But you make life for kids very difficult and deadly.

Please step down, in the name of my Thai family and friends who do not want to see you anymore. 

The liar.jpg

Good luck with that campaign - those who have the guns have the power - and they've got plenty of those.

80% of these fatalities are said to be "vulnerable" road users. This category includes motorcyclists and pedestrians.

What seems to me unclear is the portion of this figure that is comprised by children.

In any country with a low road death toll, these figures would be readily available....not in Thailand. Crashes go unnoticed and un-analysed.

This is just another example of how far away Thailand is from establishing an effective road safety campaign

Another example is the frankly idiotic proposal for dash cameras.

Probably the most ridiculous suggestion ever and the fact that people allegedly involved in road safety gave this consideration at all yet again shows how hopelessly lost the authorities are when it comes to road safety..

On 15/12/2017 at 4:15 AM, Airbagwill said:

80% of these fatalities are said to be "vulnerable" road users. This category includes motorcyclists and pedestrians.

What seems to me unclear is the portion of this figure that is comprised by children.

In any country with a low road death toll, these figures would be readily available....not in Thailand. Crashes go unnoticed and un-analysed.

This is just another example of how far away Thailand is from establishing an effective road safety campaign

Another example is the frankly idiotic proposal for dash cameras.

Probably the most ridiculous suggestion ever and the fact that people allegedly involved in road safety gave this consideration at all yet again shows how hopelessly lost the authorities are when it comes to road safety..

Why do you think those figures are not available?

http://www.unescap.org/sites/default/files/2.23.Thailand-1.pdf

In other countries there is national/social media outrage if an overtaking vehicle forces oncoming traffic into the breakdown lane.

In Thailand it’s common practice, as those living here would know.

Footage of said incident available on this link:

Driver charged after dashcam footage goes viral - The Sydney Morning Heraldhttps://apple.news/AZzumtLQYSLaAte0Qiy7ryg

Archived