Thailand has the deadliest roads in the world, new report claims

webfact

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

"it's official" - Total nonsense!

This is  a quote from world atlas reporting on a meeting in Brazil where they don't cite the original source of the figures - but it is jumped upon by those who seem to think this is some kind of macabre football league. They are citing death rates per 100k which is only one ofa set of 4 or 5 figures used to report DEATHS from RTAs.......but the article title talks about "accidents" (wrong term) not deaths.....it shows that yet again that the writer James Burton doesn't know what he is talking about.

Thailand still remains as safe as the USA for drivers of 4 wheel private vehicles.

There is one glimmer of hope here, if the continual battering of Thailand on the road safety front continues in the media, then maybe the authorities will finally take the advice that the road safety orgs have been offering for years.

Lets hope they don't take the advice from many on Thaivisa though or the carnage will continue.

Wow. Never thought I would see a Thai apologists defending road carnage in Thailand.  Clearly you should be on the next "safety panel" which I am sure will be put together within days

I am concern about the kindergarden program. I was at the movies the other night and they showed horrible, bloody  highway deaths to help people understand the problem. Of course, I had my 7 year old at a kids movie. That was wrong MAJOR theaters. I feel they will show many bloody accidents to young kids. I just said...I am afraid they will. I sincerely hope they do not.

30 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

What happened to Libya?  On the last World Atlas list they had Libya at a rate double that of Thailand's, this time they are not even on the list, and it is only a matter of months between the lists being released, its difficult to imagine that Libya has turned things around so dramatically, seems more likely they have not submitted their statistics and remain at the top.

Maybe there are no cars left to drive in Libya, due to the on going unrest there.

21 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

"it's official" - Total nonsense!

This is  a quote from world atlas reporting on a meeting in Brazil where they don't cite the original source of the figures - but it is jumped upon by those who seem to think this is some kind of macabre football league. They are citing death rates per 100k which is only one ofa set of 4 or 5 figures used to report DEATHS from RTAs.......but the article title talks about "accidents" (wrong term) not deaths.....it shows that yet again that the writer James Burton doesn't know what he is talking about.

Thailand still remains as safe as the USA for drivers of 4 wheel private vehicles.

There is one glimmer of hope here, if the continual battering of Thailand on the road safety front continues in the media, then maybe the authorities will finally take the advice that the road safety orgs have been offering for years.

Lets hope they don't take the advice from many on Thaivisa though or the carnage will continue.

Pretty sure the US counts all fatalities in their statistics, including the poor souls who die at a hospital later, after the accident.

Thailand doesn't. You are comparing apples to oranges.

8 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Pretty sure the US counts all fatalities in their statistics, including the poor souls who die at a hospital later, after the accident.

Thailand doesn't. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Thai does, time and again it has been pointed out that the old police stats  aren't the stats used to gather the whole picture they are only part of 3 or 4 major sources and about ten other sources within Thailand used to compile road death stats.

I'm comparing WHO stats which are copiously explained in their papers which it seems you haven't read.

Who are the experts?

They need to look closely at 1. death at scene, 2. death within 1 month, 3. Injured to hospital for x days and 4. Considerable  damage but no killed or long hospital stay.

Yes, there are more but my point is ... look closely at 4. Why was there such a bad accident but everyone seems to be ok? Find out what went well. Guard-rails, seat belts, air bags, etc. Then promote those items.

I am sure guard rails is the big ticket item in cost. I see many accidents with no guard rails. The guard rails cannot be cheap. They must be the right quality and installed correctly...or they can cause deaths,

26 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

I'll say that driving in Thailand has certainly made me one of the safest drivers in the US.

I see people doing things in the US I would never do in Thailand. I grew three extra sets of eyeballs on my head driving in Thailand. Folks in the US just expect other drivers to behave.

I don't.

It is a symptom of coming from a "safer" country that drivers are unaware of how much thinking has been done for them by the road safety designers, it's only when they come to a country like Thailand that they realise they have to start driving properly again.

4 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

Who are the experts?

They need to look closely at 1. death at scene, 2. death within 1 month, 3. Injured to hospital for x days and 4. Considerable  damage but no killed or long hospital stay.

Yes, there are more but my point is ... look closely at 4. Why was there such a bad accident but everyone seems to be ok? Find out what went well. Guard-rails, seat belts, air bags, etc. Then promote those items.

I am sure guard rails is the big ticket item in cost. I see many accidents with no guard rails. The guard rails cannot be cheap. They must be the right quality and installed correctly...or they can cause deaths,

TH international standard for reporting accidents is on 3 levels- Deaths, serious injury and minor injury.

Deaths are counted within 30 days of the accident.

Many countries  - including Thailand do not present a full set of figures - they don't grade them or use VKT stats either.....just check the WHO and you'll see how Thailand has gaps in figures presented. however the deats a the scene only is a myth nowadays.

THe problem is that in countries like UK every reported accident is measured categorised and analysed which doesn't happen in Thailand. Have a look at the stats for UK - they record EVERY single ding reported to the police in minute detail....this enables a good picture to be put together - this is no possible in Thailand therefore it is actually one of the first things to be done - this requires trained and competent peple  - maybe but not always police...

56 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

What happened to Libya?  On the last World Atlas list they had Libya at a rate double that of Thailand's, this time they are not even on the list, and it is only a matter of months between the lists being released, its difficult to imagine that Libya has turned things around so dramatically, seems more likely they have not submitted their statistics and remain at the top.

Most are in boats trying to reach Italy.

Many drown en route.

But most are picked up by the do-gooders taxi service.

7 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

... they have to start driving properly again.

Huh? By what definition is "proper driving" in your book? It certainly can't be anything to do with obeying the law, common sense and consideration.

Just now, Dexlowe said:

Huh? By what definition is "proper driving" in your book? It certainly can't be anything to do with obeying the law, common sense and consideration.

no, it's payiong attention reading the road and being prepared for the unexpected......subject things like 
"common sense and consideration." just mean you expect people to drive like they do in your home country.

It is a sad fact that most "critics" of the situation in Thailand don't even understand the difference between driving and raod safety......they are4 simply not beginning to understand what is happning.

The problem, has never been addressed by any Gov't past or present, just "wishy washy" attempts with meaningless slogans, more than actions !! 

Hence population has been left to own devices, so nobody has regard for road safety or effects of road incidents (they're not accidents!!)..

Life is cheap... simply "move on" is Thai attitude...  Doubt will ever change, so road tolls will continue to increase annually!! 

Whether you're talking about driving without a licence, without required corrective lenses, without a helmet, without a safety belt, without insurance, without a licence plate, or whether you're talking about speeding, reckless driving, tailgating, racing, driving while intoxicated, or talking about unsafely maintained (no taillights/headlights, bald tires, excessive exhaust) or dangerously overloaded vehicles, the only way to crack down on these moving violations is to establish a highway police patrol to enforce road safety laws. Because of the absence of such a traffic policing force, a culture of impunity while behind the wheel has become entrenched here. Until Thailand takes steps to enforce road safety, the unspeakable carnage will no doubt continue unabated.

One of the problems with this statistic is that it doesn't take into account the relative prosperity of Thailand compared to mostof those other nations. To get a clear idea of what this statistic means you'd have to know what percentage of the population owns vehicles, particularly motorbikes.. I bet it's a lot higher percentage in Thailand. So in terms of hours, Thais probably spend a lot more time on average on a motorbike than do people from those other countries. And also the number of cars on the road is relevant since a collision between a car and a motorbike usually has lots worse results for a motorbicyclist. And since it's likely that there are a lot more cars and pickup trucks on the road in Thailand than in those other nations that's another factor in increasing Thailand's death rate.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown for death rates by type of vehicle and see how that compares to other nations.

18 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

no, it's payiong attention reading the road and being prepared for the unexpected......subject things like 
"common sense and consideration." just mean you expect people to drive like they do in your home country.

It is a sad fact that most "critics" of the situation in Thailand don't even understand the difference between driving and raod safety......they are4 simply not beginning to understand what is happning.

Spare me the lecture. I've been riding bikes and driving cars in Thailand for 30 years and, as you can tell, I'm still here (and in one piece) to testify to my superlative driving capabilities. :smile: . But what you're trying to establish is survival in the jungle -- that doesn't equate in any way to "proper" -- totally different meaning. Sorry. 

2 hours ago, jaywalker said:

OOOOOH!!!! Another "Crackdown"! How original.

That makes sense, as that's about the age they start driving.

=============

I also wonder who the driving instructors will be? Just folks that have been around & grew up in the Psychotic World of Thai Driving is all they've got.

I think the age they start driving is more in the range of 45 or 50 yrs. of age. That is for cars and trucks, not motorcycles. Though the age is coming down.  In the north, they will rush to pull out in front of a line of traffic just to go 30 kmh below the speed limit forcing everyone to try and pass. Of course, they will not move over to make that any easier. 40 years ago when I first came here. Hardly anyone had a car. There was the occasional rich person in town that had a used Mercedes, but that was the exception, not the rule. So, the now-elderly never had a chance until recently to even learn to drive and their reactions are too slow for traffic and they are scared to look other than straight ahead.

"At the meeting it was revealed that the death toll on Thailand’s roads in 2016 was 22,356 - that was 2,877 up from the figure for 2015 which was 19,479.

Also last month, more damning statistics issued by the Don’t Drink Drive Foundation revealed that on average 61 people are killed every day on Thailand’s roads."

So the genius at the Don't Drink Drive Foundation began and ended extensive research by borrowing a calculator, dividing the total number of road deaths in 2016 by 365 days in a year. This led to even "...more damning statistics....61 people are killed every day on Thailand's roads." Both studies are exactly the same.
How is that "more damning"

So now we can be known as The Hub Of Road Deaths?

Sent from my SM-T825Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This morning on rd 22 ; 11 km before arriving in Sawang Daen Din;

I saw the accident, I was at about 100 meters ;

the truck was on the opposite lane, turned suddenly to the right stopped brutally on the parapet of the bridge and lost his first undercarriage;

The door was opened by .................me ; it was difficult to open it;

he did that alone , nobody used brakes in front of him;

the driver was not at his normal place but in the passenger seat; don't know why; surely he didn't  have his safety belt ..

Don't know why he did like that..maybe sleeping ? Fortunately he was driving not too fast, about 60/70 km/h ..

Why I think about that? because it was my job when working  in Europe.

The parapet of the bridge is broken on about 3 meters.

The man is phoning to the hospital; he is not the driver of this truck

25129746208_82efde1faf_b.jpg

38284437544_4f27f7a1a9_b.jpg

I came back with my MTBike to help if necessary . I was the first person arriving on the truck .

24136293447_4036aa2902_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

My, my, what an illustrious line-up of countries Thailand finds herself in - and in fact dons the crown. Well done! :clap2::clap2::clap2:You must be sooo proud to be number 1. Finally an area where you are the undisputed world leader. 

They did everything they could to finally be Number One in something. In other words, they did nothing, and do not expect that this will ever change. They will not relinquish that Number One Rank.

Archived