Thailand has the deadliest roads in the world, new report claims

webfact

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, HHTel said:

The latest stats from Libya are from 2013.  Therefore it's pointless including them in current data.

36+ per 100,000 in Thailand.  The UK with a similar population size is somewhere between 2 and 3 per 100,000.  I wonder what's different!!

England, France, and Thailand are about the same population...but top marks to Thailand way out in front with road deaths, about 7 times as many...TIT.  pity.

PS unfortunately on this site we are all preaching to the converted...sorry.

And children from kindergarten age will be taught about road safety. Kids will be taught while older kids stay ignorant and uneducated? Makes perfect sense to me. 

This topic is way too sad to tell lies. We all know what children in Kindergarten learn. How to sleep from 10 am to 3 pm

The kids are only prepared for the parents an hour before they pick them up and it looks for them like they were all day doing something.

THIS will never have an end. At least I'll never see a change in my lifetime. 

Car crash.jpg

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

The death rate on holidays in Thailand is the same or LOWER than the daily rate. This is the norm for most countries. It also is an example of how the media has got the wrong end of the stick.

Effective enforcement of anything, helmets or otherwise is pretty much impossible until there is a standard for helmets, ( that would include a government testing office) a police force trained and a legal system to cope with any fines imposed....... Thailand does not have and is nowhere near obtaining such an infrastructure

Correct. The supposed 'seven dangerous days' twice a year is bull. Just another day on the roads if averaged over the year.

For the 2016-17 New Year period road deaths averaged 68.28 people per day, while for the Songkran period the average was 63.14. Extrapolating the New Year figures equates to 24,922 deaths and some 215,246 injuries, while the Songkran figures extrapolate out to 23,046 annual deaths and 190,634 injuries.  

According to figures compiled by Thailand’s Ministry of Interior (MoI), MoPH, and the Road Accident Victims Protection Company (RAVPC) Limited, 22,356 Thais were killed on Thailand’s roads in 2016, or about 61.25 people per day. Not so far removed from the figures recorded over the supposed ‘seven dangerous days’.

Source: 4 Seconds to Death on Thailand's Deadly Roads - AEC News Today

6 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Thailand must be feeling very proud to be not only at the top in the African grouping apart world ranking no.1.

Not so long ago when the ASEAN euphory had overrun all school teachers of World Class Standard Schools, this country really wanted to become an educational hub.

Fill in the blanks what really happened;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

11 minutes ago, bdenner said:

Take a look at the FACTS before making obscure observations! The 1st officer is telling him he is heading North after 1 360 deg turn ??? It should have been South then during a terrain warning he calls it as faulty (his last words).

I'm pointing out the Thai mind set whether it be on the ground or in the air!

Correct. I mentioned the First Officer. Details are available elsewhere for those that are curious.

1 hour ago, quadperfect said:

Her comes more check points. Isnt it like youre insane if you keep doing the same things over and over expecting a different outcome.

Thats thai road check points.

Its set up mostly for the tourist but snags a few thais now and then.

Does nothing for death toll.

IMO, it's all the Education, or roughly speaking, the non existence of it is the culprit for all the road fatalities.

How else could you explain why students at the biggest high school in town are allowed to raise through the campus, not wearing helmets and being way too young to drive such a bike?

Well, that 3 or 4 are sometimes sitting on these bikes is just one more additional insanity.

If teachers at "well- known" high schools do not teach about road safety ( because they don't really know it, or don't want to know it and boy scout is much more interesting) and they watch students speeding on campus without saying something, I'm afraid that the education of Kindergarten kids on how to prevent accidents doesn't make sense. 

And considering that education starts at the top, it's time for some/many rolling heads, preferable those from soldiers who think they can take over a country, but none of them really knows what the problems here really are.

Couldn't we just say that the current government has totally failed to even try to prevent anything that harms people here. It's time that the Thai people stand up and make him away. Nobody was electing him, as far as I remember. 

. BTW, nobody wants to hear your speeches for little kids. They aren't kids anymore. But you make life for kids very difficult and deadly.

Please step down, in the name of my Thai family and friends who do not want to see you anymore. 

The liar.jpg

35 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

The WHO used to have a nice interactive bar chart on their site which has now been removed...

Overall the rate is 36 per 100,000 with 73% of deaths from motorbikes so your rate would be 26 per 100,000. This is by far the highest with the next highest being the Dominican Republic with 13 per 100, 000; from memory.

Interestingly, only 5 per 100,000 are drivers of 4-wheeled vehicles which puts Thailand on par with the US and some EU countries.

http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.A998

There are also other measures, such as 'per 100,000 vehicles' and 'per billion km driven' which put Thailand way down the list... :smile:

Too many regulations are more than  a joke here. No wonder why the most fatalities are motorcyclists.

In my country of origin, I'd have to be 18 years old and have a driver's license for a 110cc Yamaha, because it's not seen as a Moped anymore. Our Yamaha does 110 km/h, and that's not really slowly with such brakes and idiots all around you. 

Do people in my country like to pay an horrendous amount of money for a license? Of course not, but they'll also learn some very important stuff about brakes, the time you need to stop if there's something happening in front of you, etc..

You can't just bribe them to give you the license and you have to learn all and show your knowledge in a written, but also a practical test. Better to pay a lot of money for something, if it helps you to survive. 

Not forgetting of course to help "massage" the figures and make them look better than they really are

Thailands statistics only record fatalities at the scene of an accident ...

I wonder how high the number would be if those who die on the way to hospital or in hospital were included in the total?

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Not forgetting of course to help "massage" the figures and make them look better than they really are

Thailands statistics only record fatalities at the scene of an accident ...

I wonder how high the number would be if those who die on the way to hospital or in hospital were included in the total?

That would be truly shocking to know the deathtoll, how many of them will being paralysed by the neck down, plenty of them with lost body parts and many other injuries I'd never like to have.

My apologies for my comments, but a special nerve was hit.I saw two of my students dying on local roads and will never forget that. I couldn't do anything and was only yelling at the Rescue car drivers if they wouldn't have morphine for them. 

5 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

What happened to Libya?  On the last World Atlas list they had Libya at a rate double that of Thailand's, this time they are not even on the list, and it is only a matter of months between the lists being released, its difficult to imagine that Libya has turned things around so dramatically, seems more likely they have not submitted their statistics and remain at the top.

Don't usually beat the same drum as you, Kieran, but have to agree with you on this one! Maybe Libya has "nuked" itself?

Thailand need to have a written pre-test exam to find out if they have a brain cell before getting behind the wheel and not just having the ability to get 500 baht to buy a driving licence, just everything seems wrong on the Thai roads from the police just accepting 100 Baht for some life risking maneuver  U turn on the motorway that’s ok but don’t make a habit of it and amber and red lights are classified same as green at some junctions. Drivers/ road users and police all need proper training.   

Libya Leads World in Traffic Deaths Per Capita (From 2014)

It gives Libya a road traffic fatality rate of 60.1 fatalities per 100,000 population (on a population of six million), the highest figure of any country in the world. The next most dangerous place to drive in the world, according to the World Health Organisation, is Eritrea, with a fatality rate of 48.4.

When reading this article, Thailand can hardly be the number one with a population of around 70 million, Libya has only six million people.

A much higher population means a lot of more cars, motorbikes, etc...

http://www.libya-analysis.com/libya-leads-world-in-traffic-deaths-per-capita/

They should show the difference between Car/Truck accidents and Motorcycle.

I have seen more Motorcycle accidents than I have seen Car/Truck.

Of course Bus should be a different category also.

I worked in Saudi for 11 years...they are really bad.

But then they don't report their data.

Personally I think they beat the Thai in having more deadly accidents.

Even if they have no licence to drive one would think common sense would prevail.

Last Monday 2 pickups ran slowly in to each other opposite where I have 1 beer on a Monday. Both drivers must of been looking at the shabu - shabu place not where they were going.

Last night at the same place some were driving and as they hate walking were parking outside the restaurant facing the wrong way. Motorbikes meanwhile are sreaming up and down the road with no lights .  Imagine pulling out round another car at night when you are parked the wrong side unable to see bikes without lights but the drivers are to damn lazy to park the right side and walk over the road. No common sense at all , and this in my neck of the woods . Every town in LoS must have the same senseless drivers .  Oh I had to park 50 yds away and walk back , so easy .

7 hours ago, jaywalker said:

OOOOOH!!!! Another "Crackdown"! How original.

That makes sense, as that's about the age they start driving.

=============

I also wonder who the driving instructors will be? Just folks that have been around & grew up in the Psychotic World of Thai Driving is all they've got.

Sat watching the vehicle operation test at the Thai Driver's License Bureau in Songkhla. I thoroughly enjoyed two iced coffees while waiting for my wife's test and watching the fiasco; only three of the 25 or so cars actually stopped at the stop sign. Maybe half of them could not back successfully out of the cone column obstacle. And, which should be a surprise to no one; the parallel parking was so hilarious, I spilled my second iced coffee.

7 minutes ago, everett kendall said:

They should show the difference between Car/Truck accidents and Motorcycle.

I have seen more Motorcycle accidents than I have seen Car/Truck.

Of course Bus should be a different category also.

I worked in Saudi for 11 years...they are really bad.

But then they don't report their data.

Personally I think they beat the Thai in having more deadly accidents.

yes i have worked there for the last 2 years  somebody told me it was 80 a day . i find that very hard to believe but in saudi there are just about no motor bike or bus just very bad men drivers

An open letter to the PM of Thailand,

For the sake of your country. Tell the fat ass cops to get off their ass and set up random booze patrols  plus main side road booze buses like we do in Australia and ensure fines are heavy and do not go directly to corrupt cops as tea money.  A system to set up also where no payment goes directly to a copper but a central collection agency will remove that issue. In short follow the Australian system and I am  confident that road deaths will drop by 20% or more in one year and further reduce ongoing. You might even get rewarded with a Nobel Peace prize plus thanks from the families who have lost loved ones in the past and have lost no one in the future! Otherwise remain a low life third world country if no change to the current system.

They should relabel their campaign and their windows sticker to:

Snitch With Dash Cam In Car

This entire song and dance beggars the question: Why can't the Thai government put cops in patrol cars to do the work they expect the public to do for them with their dash cams.  Some snitch sending in a video has no deterrent value. 

Bottom line: The carnage on Thai roads does not stop until this pathetic country adopts First World Traffic Policing Standards.  Until then, every announcement and pronouncement is nothing but hot air and pandering to the international communities. 

How about starting with teaching walking?  Teaching good walking etiquette to children would probably result in teenage drivers being more aware of dangerous practices on the road.  It's done in Japan; also, drivers can't get a license in Japan until completing driving school and passing a driving test.

Archived