BANGKOK 21 February 2019 04:16
New Cowboy

Bought 12 Cows have limited knowledge

12 hours ago, kickstart said:

An intreatsting report, I have just found an old bottle of AD3E, the same brand, as you said for pigs 2-3 cc/animal, every 3-6 months, some dairy farmers will inject weekly.

So, they do blood tests ,any idea what they check for, sounds, if it is for disease, more than, a metabolic profile, I am beging to see where you are going, with your gilts coming to you, not up to standered, and to old at 1st service, sounds if a good management sort out is needed,you said get them past p2 they come on heat quicker more regular, and then easier to get in pig , is it  like cows get them past 3 calving they become easier to get in calf, by then the cow has grown to her full size and is using all the diet for production not growing, and as a rule easier to get in calf .

Does make you wonder if they are more interested in feed sales, with the pork prices going up and down all the time, they could make more money selling feed, but a lot of raw ingredients are imported, with currencies fluctuating, makes you wonder.

i will try and find some of the blood test results, the wife has a folder in the "office" somewhere. 

with the management people get moved all the time from one province to another, in the past 6/7 years i have seen 5/6 different area bosses let alone the doctors or other staff.. most people like to come in and change things......555

with the gilts they come in to the farrow farms with alot of paper work, stating 1,2,3 heat detection, vaccine, parent stock ect... this is one of my moans because i see that most if not all heat dates have just been plucked out of the air... if our farm paper work is out even my a digit on say a dose of sperm used we loose money.... 

even at parity 10 plus the sow will and can be growing, its all about giving enough feed not over feeding, over feeding can course all sorts of other proplems tooooo... 

the way i see the contract set up is like this. every province will have a self made budjet, they have chicken, fish,prawns and pigs. they buy the feed from the company at a "good" price (i have seen invoices) then buy or produce the parent stock in contract farms or buy in from the "master" province.  this then goes to people like my wife who are part of the chain.   so the feed is always moving and the parent stock being reproduced ect.... money is always coming in, even if there are problems down the line.from first hand experince i have seen farms pigs/fish contracts cancelled because they are running at a lose all the time. for me the contract farm set up is the way to go for both parties, cheap labor for the company and money for the farmer every month. i would never have let my wife get into pigs if it were not how she farms now. working for someone will always have +/-

over the years "we" have invested in this or that trying to pinch a bit from farming the land here, it bloody hard work trying to even make beer money every month let alone pay the school fee's.........

my wife and her friends who contract farm would never speak to the company in the way i do... thats why they all try and get me to go the seminars so they can have a good laugth at the crazy person....

• Like 1

blood tests are for fmd,sfv,ad ect.... europe/usa strains.... also found swap tests, saliva samples, water samples (we pay for) and the poo samples, mainly just positive or negative against e coli, samlmonella and some other stuff i have never heard of, then more results are all equations........

like i said the paper work is endlessssssss

On 12/12/2017 at 4:16 PM, New Cowboy said:

male cows

An oxymoron!  The female of the species is called a cow.  The male of the species is called a bull.  A neutered bull is called a steer.

On 12/12/2017 at 4:16 PM, New Cowboy said:

male cows

An oxymoron!  The female of the species is called a cow.  The male of the species is called a bull.  A neutered bull is called a steer.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:34 AM, Prairieboy said:

Or a bullock.

Edited by grollies
  • Like 1