Moat drama as US woman tourist tries to kill herself over money

webfact

Moat drama as US woman tourist tries to kill herself over money

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A 60 year old American woman tried to kill herself by jumping in front of a Red Baht Bus in Chiang Mai yesterday.

When that failed she jumped in the moat.

Only the actions of a Good Samaritan saved her as police and foundation medics arrived on the scene in Jaeng Sriphum sub-district.

They calmed Noris, 60, and took her off to the police station as she was not injured.

She said that she had done it because her husband and son had sent her money but she was unable to withdraw it.

In a fit, and without money, she lost it and tried to kill herself.

She was, however, found with a quantity of money in baht and dollars, an iPhone and her passport.

She relaxed a bit when the tourist police took over and went with them to their HQ when they said they would contact her relatives and the US authorities in Chiang Mai for assistance.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-13

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

and without money, she lost it and tried to kill herself.

She was, however, found with a quantity of money in baht and dollars, an iPhone and her passport.

Anyone else having difficulty trying to understand this story ?

Just now, Thaiwrath said:

No.

It appears to be a manifestation of mental illness. Perhaps early onset dementia, or schizophrenia or a manic episode. Whatever the cause, it shares a commonality with other suicide attempts both successful and failed, of foreigners.

4 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

No.

It appears to be a manifestation of mental illness. Perhaps early onset dementia, or schizophrenia or a manic episode. Whatever the cause, it shares a commonality with other suicide attempts both successful and failed, of foreigners.

I cannot read Thai, so I didn't realise the Sanook article mentioned she had a mental illness or dementia.

If it is true, surely Thailand is not the best place to be ?

Maybe she was just unable to cope with the frustration of dealing with Thai financial institutions and their ridiculous hold periods on transferred funds which are completed in no more than a day in the States.  I've seen holds as long as 60 business days applied by these dinosaur banks in Thailand.  I hope she recovers from this traumatic event with the support of her family.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I cannot read Thai, so I didn't realise the Sanook article mentioned she had a mental illness or dementia.

If it is true, surely Thailand is not the best place to be ?

The evidence is in what you quoted from the OP.

Some people will have understood immediately (given her age) when they read it.

Had she been 25 it might have been thought drug "confusion".

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sad very sad, appears she has some issues, and being in Chiang mai is not the place for a farang with issues.

Surely someone can help her get back home and hopefully get help.

The Suan Prung Psychiatric Hoospital in Chiang Mai provides excellent service for those with mental health problems, both Thai and farang. My stepson has suffered from schizophrenia for 15years and since being treated by this hospital his condition has improved immensely, I have nothing but praise bor the staff at this hospital they do a great job. :clap2: 

1 hour ago, Gillyflower said:

What are the son and husband doing leaving that woman alone in CM or in Thailand?   Why aren't they with her?

If she has identifiable mental issues or signs of dementia then I agree that she shouldn't be travelling in Thailand alone.  However, if not, she is a grown woman and doesn't need a husband or son to accompany her anywhere.

I do think if she does have issues then there are much worse places to be than Chiang Mai.  Right next to the moat is the enormous Psychiatric Hospital (used to be also known as the Ex-pats Social Club when I lived there :smile:).  There is also the American Consulate in Chiang Mai which should help.

4 minutes ago, UnkleMoooose said:

The most incredible part of this story to me is that that is a photograph of a woman. Surely not.

I was about to poo poo your post but actually it's a good question and in fact it could be either.  However hands look feminine and no rings to give a clue. Hair would indicate 60 being a realistic age.  Clothes don't really  give any clues and because the person is leaning forward cannot tell if there is a bust under that tee shirt.  Let's see what the detectives on here think :smile:

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

What is so difficult to understand??? Do you need mental help?

She needs mental help because she was feeling alone, not able to communicate with Thai people, not knowing about ATM, not knowing how to act with the bank, not able to make phone calls (no credit?,)

She could not handle this situation and even not the city (too dirty, too loud, aso).

The way out was a panicky reaction. Good there surrounding people could prevent killing herself that way or another

16 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Maybe she was just unable to cope with the frustration of dealing with Thai financial institutions and their ridiculous hold periods on transferred funds which are completed in no more than a day in the States.  I've seen holds as long as 60 business days applied by these dinosaur banks in Thailand.  I hope she recovers from this traumatic event with the support of her family.

When I transfer from my bank in europe to Bangkok Bank, it takes always less than 24 hours.

8 hours ago, arithai12 said:

When I transfer from my bank in europe to Bangkok Bank, it takes always less than 24 hours.

Bangkok Bank is an exception, because it has international branches.  It was the first Thailand bank to open an international branch (in 1954) and currently has 12 international branches, and 2 wholly-owned subsidiaries operating abroad, so does business in 15 countries outside of Thailand.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, sawadee1947 said:

What is so difficult to understand??? Do you need mental help?

She needs mental help because she was feeling alone, not able to communicate with Thai people, not knowing about ATM, not knowing how to act with the bank, not able to make phone calls (no credit?,)

She could not handle this situation and even not the city (too dirty, too loud, aso).

The way out was a panicky reaction. Good there surrounding people could prevent killing herself that way or another

Really?  Where did you get all that information from, it wasn't in the OP?

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, zaphod reborn said:

"I've seen holds as long as 60 business days applied by these dinosaur banks in Thailand".

Holds, plural?  Doubt that very much, not without the bank having justification for it.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, zaphod reborn said:

Bangkok Bank is an exception, because it has international branches.  It was the first Thailand bank to open an international branch (in 1954) and currently has 12 international branches, and 2 wholly-owned subsidiaries operating abroad, so does business in 15 countries outside of Thailand.

Any mainstream Thai bank can operate on exactly the same time basis.

Archived