Address applying for conversion (retirement)

A US friend of mine (age mid sixties, frail with multiple health problems) has just returned to Thailand (visa exempt) after a break of several years.

He applied for conversion and extension in the past when immigration I think was more relaxed than today. At that time, he used the hotel he was temporarily staying in to apply for the conversion at Chaeng Wattana.

He intends applying immediately for an income affidavit from the US Embassy, and using that to request the conversion. Will Bangkok immigration still accept the temporary hotel address for the conversion, or does he need to arrange a permanent place to stay before he can apply? If he needs a permanent address, what will he be expected to show?

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Chaeng Wattana will accept a hotel address if he can show he plans on staying there for an extended period of time (not just overnight).

He plans only to stay in the hotel until he finds a more permanent solution he likes. It is not quite clear how long that will be. Do you think he could just explain that to them, or are they really insistent on an extended stay agreement?

19 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Surpriced to see that you asked these questions. In my eyes you seems to be very knownledgeable within this field...

Good luck

glegolo

In general, I think I have a fair idea. However, this particular detail is one where I am not confident I know the current policy at Chaeng Wattana.

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

He plans only to stay in the hotel until he finds a more permanent solution he likes. It is not quite clear how long that will be. Do you think he could just explain that to them, or are they really insistent on an extended stay agreement?

It does not have to be an agreement for an extended stay. Perhaps prepayment for a week or so. Thew want to see that he did not just travel to Bangkok to do the application from some other part of the country to do it.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Your friend wouldn’t be converting anything. He would be applying for a non-immigrant visa.

I do understand that, but it is generally described as a conversion from a tourist to a non immigrant entry. I just chose to use the customary terminology (which is reasonably descriptive of the effect if not the mechanism).