Which canon translations do Thais use?

Kyrylo

Hello,

I'm aware that among the monks in Thailand studying Pali and, in turn, studying the suttas (in Pali) is not uncommon. But recently i wondered how many Thai translations of the canon are there in Thailand?

In English to-date we have translations by PTS, Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi, Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu among some of the more popular ones.

Thinking that Thailand is a country where Buddhism has been widespread for a long time now - i thought there would be a lot of different Thai translations (from Pali) with multiple editions, from different translators, having different reputations, etc, etc.

But - my looking up on google isn't turning up any information on this, like names, publications, sites, reviews and such. I was limited to English results only though, since i don't understand or read Thai.

The idea that ordained and lay followers in Thailand all study and read canon in Pali - just, somehow, isn't settling in my mind.

Thought i'd ask here. Perhaps anyone who knows could share their knowledge and shed some light on this question.

Archived