Snake ID please

TravelerEastWest

My dog has killed two snakes this month - the attached photo is from today - apologies if it is not clear.

One of my dog's eyes was red as if something was spit into it.

This snake doesn't seem to have the wide neck that I thought all cobras have but this snake was dead when I found it and only about 1.5 to 2 feet long and an inch thick so maybe a young snake?

Found near a Longan tree in Mae Rim.

Any ideas as to what type of snake?

Thank you!

Snake photo.jpg

17 hours ago, cmsally said:

That "flash" of light colour under the neck makes it very likely to be a cobra.

Even though a bad picture it just seems to look like a cobra.

Yeah, I wouldn't take a chance:

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/front-fanged/monocled-cobras-venomous-very-deadly/

It might be simpler to learn how to ID the non-venomous snakes, and if it's not one of those, kill it and bury it.

17 hours ago, cmsally said:

That "flash" of light colour under the neck makes it very likely to be a cobra.

Even though a bad picture it just seems to look like a cobra.

Yeah, I wouldn't take a chance:

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/front-fanged/monocled-cobras-venomous-very-deadly/

It might be simpler to learn how to ID the non-venomous snakes, and if it's not one of those, kill it and bury it.

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2017 at 10:04 PM, BuaBS said:

Maybe take the dog & dead snake to the vet ? ( for the dog's eye)

I called the vet and was told how to treat the eye - which got better. Thank you for your concern.

The photo was indeed a bad one on an inexpensive phone - my apologies.

The good news is that we have been cutting back on overgrown bushes and have had zero sightings/encounters since then.

The snake was seen standing up with a wide neck just before my dog snapped its neck.

One lesson if a dog is having a close encounter with a possible poisinous snake leave the dog alone as if you distract your dog the snake might get the first strike - which is probably game over...

Another one was found today by the dogs - note they kept a respectful distance and barked. there is a different sound to their barking with snakes.

100% confirmed to be a cobra. I saw it standing up with a wide neck - classic cobra.

Now the question is what to do to keep them off our land. I have cleared many bushes - maybe more clearing needs to be done...

Today's cobra was found near the dogs water in the shade of a longan tree. Which is strange as the dogs (two German sheperds) sleep there mid day every day so I would think the cobras would stay clear normally?

Cobra 1.JPG

Cobra 2.JPG

In this hot weather the cobras are likely looking for somewhere cooler to be in the daytime. Do you have rice fields next to your house? They could be evacuating to your property after rice harvest and dry season.

Just hope a big fat tokay drops by, he will sort them out !

18 hours ago, cmsally said:

In this hot weather the cobras are likely looking for somewhere cooler to be in the daytime. Do you have rice fields next to your house? They could be evacuating to your property after rice harvest and dry season.

Just hope a big fat tokay drops by, he will sort them out !

CM Sally,

Thank you.

Someone else just told me the same about the weather.

We have gardens next to the dog run area. Rice fields are down the driveway and across the road not that far. 

Are you joking about tokays?

If not maybe I will get a bunch of them!

18 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Lots of burning in the hills above Mae rim, the fires could be driving  them out.

You are 100% correct.

On the road that goes past our house small burns and not to far away on some hills larger burns to the point where the village headman asked for everyone to help put out a fire last week.

Not sure why but I think locals start the fires to get mushrooms? (not the fires on farms)

Archived