Land of Smiles?

sambum

Smoke on the beach, and face fines up to 100,000 baht and spend a year in jail?

You can’t bring vaporisers (like e-cigarettes and e-baraku) or refills into Thailand.

These items are likely to be confiscated and you could be fined or sent to prison for up to 10 years if convicted?

What on earth is happening to this country? Where is the  sense of logic? You want to attract more visitors yet bring in such draconian rules and over the top regulations that can only drive visitors away.

Thailand used to be a happy, cheap, laid back kind of holiday destination, but the above laws, and the seemingly increasing violence towards "farangs", corruption in high places and all the way down the ladder, plus the latest revelation that Thailand now has the deadliest roads in the World are quickly dispelling that image. I fear this country is on a downward spiral that can only be blamed on themselves.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

I support the Thai decision, no smoking is a good thing if I have not stopped some 40 years ago I wouldn't be enjoying my wonderful retirement life in Thailand.

I am not criticising the "no smoking", just the totally illogical over the top fines. I am also a non smoker, but feel that the level of fine/punishment is way over the top, and if people DO smoke, then they will not be choosing Thailand as a holiday destination if they are so blatantly discriminated against.

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

I am not criticising the "no smoking", just the totally illogical over the top fines. I am also a non smoker, but feel that the level of fine/punishment is way over the top, and if people DO smoke, then they will not be choosing Thailand as a holiday destination if they are so blatantly discriminated against.

OK a fair call. :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Totally agree with the new non-smoking rules  and fail to see a logical link to smiling

We have "communicated" before and I am quite aware of your views on smoking, but it would be nice if you took it in context with the other points that I have mentioned.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

We have "communicated" before and I am quite aware of your views on smoking, but it would be nice if you took it in context with the other points that I have mentioned.

I have no recollection of you, but thanks for remembering me.  I feel important now.

I'm not sure that LOS had clanged very much over the 30 odd years I have been coming here. It has always been a land of extremes to some degree and I have  known times  when corruption and harassment were far more wide spread than now.  I would say that things have marginally improved.  As for the smoking bad and e gigs, they have been in place in other Asian countries for much longer than here, notably Singapore, which is supposed to be a much more enlightened place.  

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

''Sense of Logic'' !     Try another country as logic doesn't apply here.

to Thais it does and it is their country.!  They don't have to appeal or pander to farangs, or follow western logic as seen through western eyes, .  

4 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Oh no no no the whities won't have any money left if they smoke on the beach :giggle:

I'm guessing the double entendre was a slip of the tongue, so to speak.

People might need to give up fags altogether

SC

Just now, White Christmas13 said:

Maybe you should by your self a lighter :giggle:

I'm a little confused, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you meant "buy yourself a [cigarette] lighter." 

Though perhaps the intent was to board a lighter  alone and alight elsewhere, maybe visit a friend; that would be nice

43 minutes ago, ukrules said:

One day things will be back to normal, once the dimwits who have been running things are out of the way.

It's worth noting that nearly all of the cabinet were replaced recently.

Different cabinet, same spoons

8 hours ago, Been there done that said:

Yes, they only need to make sure that the poor women remain available for all those whities.

The poor woman have found out that there is "more opportunity" in Tourist-Spots as opposed to stomp around in Rice-Paddies.

The TAT has layed out the plan: Future Quality-Tourists will be Temple-Hoppers, non smoking Beach-Lizards (garbage resistant types), spending massive amounts of money on imported goods from China (that don't cost more in their home-countries, amazingly).
No doubt, this convincing new concept will enable the "poor woman" to quickly integrate into this new concept, them working as bank-clerks, multi-lingual call-center agents, hotel managers, immigration officers etc, etc....
- No more needing to wait for "whities".     Rice-paddies only a distant memory.
A new dawn for Thailand. Only problem is, if the Thai-Educational System remains unreformed, nothing will ever change.

Leaving plenty of "poor woman", hoping that not all visitors will turn into "temple-hoppers" and non-smoking, garbage loving "beach-lizards". A nightmarish though for those "poor woman", depending on "whities" for their livelyhood.
So it is and will remain so for the forseeable future, due to the lack of other opportunites.
Cheers.   
- PS: By engaging a "poor woman", waiting for a "whitie" will be more beneficial to her and the economy in general.
Far better than give the same amount to some NGO,  (helping poor woman), where 80 % of the donations will be invested in lavish (european) salaries plus expensive 4x4 vehicles to desperately find "poor woman", that consider themselves not really as "poor woman", compared to their sisters, still working the rice-fields back home.
Note: A "poor woman" in Pattaya is far better off than her sister, stomping around in a rice-paddy and looking out for Papa's buffaloes. 

44 minutes ago, swissie said:

The poor woman have found out that there is "more opportunity" in Tourist-Spots as opposed to stomp around in Rice-Paddies.

The TAT has layed out the plan: Future Quality-Tourists will be Temple-Hoppers, non smoking Beach-Lizards (garbage resistant types), spending massive amounts of money on imported goods from China (that don't cost more in their home-countries, amazingly).
No doubt, this convincing new concept will enable the "poor woman" to quickly integrate into this new concept, them working as bank-clerks, multi-lingual call-center agents, hotel managers, immigration officers etc, etc....
- No more needing to wait for "whities".     Rice-paddies only a distant memory.
A new dawn for Thailand. Only problem is, if the Thai-Educational System remains unreformed, nothing will ever change.

Leaving plenty of "poor woman", hoping that not all visitors will turn into "temple-hoppers" and non-smoking, garbage loving "beach-lizards". A nightmarish though for those "poor woman", depending on "whities" for their livelyhood.
So it is and will remain so for the forseeable future, due to the lack of other opportunites.
Cheers.   
- PS: By engaging a "poor woman", waiting for a "whitie" will be more beneficial to her and the economy in general.
Far better than give the same amount to some NGO,  (helping poor woman), where 80 % of the donations will be invested in lavish (european) salaries plus expensive 4x4 vehicles to desperately find "poor woman", that consider themselves not really as "poor woman", compared to their sisters, still working the rice-fields back home.
Note: A "poor woman" in Pattaya is far better off than her sister, stomping around in a rice-paddy and looking out for Papa's buffaloes. 

Your comment suggests that prostitution is the only way out for the farmgirls.

I do not agree. Because decent education is severely lacking on almost all levels, the lack of civilization, morals, ethics, compassion, selfcentredness, misplaced nationalism and the shameless greed a.o. is the real reason we "whities" have no problems finding a nice thai slapper. The people in charge of this beautiful land know that too ofcourse.

9 hours ago, Been there done that said:

Your comment suggests that prostitution is the only way out for the farmgirls.

I do not agree. Because decent education is severely lacking on almost all levels, the lack of civilization, morals, ethics, compassion, selfcentredness, misplaced nationalism and the shameless greed a.o. is the real reason we "whities" have no problems finding a nice thai slapper. The people in charge of this beautiful land know that too ofcourse.

Quite a few Thai slappers managed to marry 'the people in charge'.

It ain't just whitey playing here.

36 minutes ago, sambum said:

Still carrying that white stick?

Somebody disagrees so you start throwing around insults. Nice.

But I'm sure you can substantiate your claim violence against farang is increasing, looking forward to seeing that.