Land of Smiles?

sambum

12 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Somebody disagrees so you start throwing around insults. Nice.

But I'm sure you can substantiate your claim violence against farang is increasing, looking forward to seeing that.

I know that since I first came here nearly 20 years ago the attitude toward farangs was a lot more civilised than it is today - especially in the larger resorts e.g Pattaya Hua Hin, Phuket etc, and hardly a day goes by now without some report on ThaiVisa about a farang having been set about/mugged by gangs of Thais or Ladyboys, but you will probably say that it is just because the media is better informed now, and that the violence has always been there. However, I beg to differ - just from a personal viewpoint.

And my post wasn't meant as an insult - more of a touch of sarcasm, but if it offended you that much, my apologies. 

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

I know that since I first came here nearly 20 years ago the attitude toward farangs was a lot more civilised than it is today - especially in the larger resorts e.g Pattaya Hua Hin, Phuket etc, and hardly a day goes by now without some report on ThaiVisa about a farang having been set about/mugged by gangs of Thais or Ladyboys, but you will probably say that it is just because the media is better informed now, and that the violence has always been there. However, I beg to differ - just from a personal viewpoint.

And my post wasn't meant as an insult - more of a touch of sarcasm, but if it offended you that much, my apologies. 

The media’s better, and there’s more farang, so there will be more reports.  Maybe some of the Farangs that are here are also more likely to get into trouble.  Even if you can see it more, it doesn’t mean it is worse or that you individually are more at risk.

8 minutes ago, sambum said:

Apologies accepted, even though you can't tell the difference between sarcasm and insults.

My point remains though, disagree with your presumption about increasing crime, even more so with your substantiating missing.

10 minutes ago, sambum said:

Could be that there are many more tourists here now... and doing a lot more drinking. Seems the crimes tend to happen between 1-5 am and involve alcohol... but, more people, more incidents and there might be an exponential aspect to that too... 

16 minutes ago, sambum said:

I know that since I first came here nearly 20 years ago the attitude toward farangs was a lot more civilised than it is today - especially in the larger resorts e.g Pattaya Hua Hin, Phuket etc, and hardly a day goes by now without some report on ThaiVisa about a farang having been set about/mugged by gangs of Thais or Ladyboys,

Most of the potential problem situations I encounter are drunken Brits looking for fights.

Last encounter was an Aussie looking for a fight (but that's unusual).

Make love not war boys!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Apologies accepted, even though you can't tell the difference between sarcasm and insults.

My point remains though, disagree with your presumption about increasing crime, even more so with your substantiating missing.

My point remains too, but I don't intend to trade insults with you - good night!

10 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

The media’s better, and there’s more farang, so there will be more reports.  Maybe some of the Farangs that are here are also more likely to get into trouble.  Even if you can see it more, it doesn’t mean it is worse or that you individually are more at risk.

I agree with your first point about the media, but more farang? Not so sure about that! I've never seen my resort so quiet, and it gets quieter every year, in spite of TAT telling us otherwise. And surely if you see more trouble, that means it is happening more? Personally, I've never been involved in any, but it does seem to be happening more, with the result that fewer people will be coming here because of it, and the other reasons I quoted, which seem to be getting ignored in preference to the emphasis on the bad behaviour and "drunken Brits" comments.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Totally wrong. The advent of the internet and 24 hour reporting  has changed everything.  Get with the times!

39 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Totally wrong. The advent of the internet and 24 hour reporting  has changed everything.  Get with the times!

I don't need you to tell me to "get with the times"! And to say that I am totally wrong about something that I have personally experienced means that you are in fact calling me a liar! The advent of the Internet and 24 hour reporting has not changed "everything" as you so naively put it, and going by the tone of your post there is more than one troll on this thread!

Edited by sambum

8 hours ago, sambum said:

I agree with your first point about the media, but more farang? Not so sure about that! I've never seen my resort so quiet, and it gets quieter every year, in spite of TAT telling us otherwise. And surely if you see more trouble, that means it is happening more? Personally, I've never been involved in any, but it does seem to be happening more, with the result that fewer people will be coming here because of it, and the other reasons I quoted, which seem to be getting ignored in preference to the emphasis on the bad behaviour and "drunken Brits" comments.

Denying reality, of course there are more farang.

10 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Could be that there are many more tourists here now... and doing a lot more drinking. Seems the crimes tend to happen between 1-5 am and involve alcohol... but, more people, more incidents and there might be an exponential aspect to that too... 

If there was an exponential aspect, then the risk of crime would be increasing.

My point was that it was linear, and that the increase in crime was increasing no faster than the population of farangs; or if it was increasing, then it was due to the nature of farangs involved (as others have suggested) and therefore the risk for individuals who continue to behave as they always did is no higher.

SC

10 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

My point was that it was linear, and that the increase in crime was increasing no faster than the population of farangs; or if it was increasing, then it was due to the nature of farangs involved (as others have suggested) and therefore the risk for individuals who continue to behave as they always did is no higher.

SC

And I am still wondering if it really is increasing. I doubt it, and if it is, IMO for sure not exponential, so relatively decreasing.

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

SC

Yes, I would agree with that, especially the last part... my word to concerned visitors is that if they do not get in trouble or have problems where they live, they are not likely to have them here either. 

The exponential aspect was meant to coordinate with the exponential increase in tourism... but yes, it would increase on an even line with that increase... 

Where I live it is totally safe... the lovely baan nork - wonderful friendly country people... 

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

Denying reality, of course there are more farang.

Of course? Denying reality? Where are they then? "Oop North" discovering the "proper" Thailand, perhaps, or all swarming round the 5* resorts as TAT would have you believe?

Edited by sambum

On 12/16/2017 at 9:52 PM, stevenl said:

Just as a matter of interest, from today's ThaiVisa headlines:-

"South Korean man beaten by Pattaya songthaew operators"

Like I said earlier, (2 days ago)  "hardly a day goes by now without some report on ThaiVisa about a farang having been set about/mugged by gangs of Thais or Ladyboys,"