BANGKOK
webfact

Merry Christmas - 1,000 baht fines for not wearing helmets in Bangkok

Most of the time, the helmets Thais wear are completely useless anyway ... so why bother at all ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, luudee said:

Most of the time, the helmets Thais wear are completely useless anyway ... so why bother at all ?

Most of the time the helmets worn are OK, only sometimes they are not approved by TIS. Most of the helmets I see that are not approved are worn by farangs like scull caps or Nazi helmets. Most Thais have TIS approved helmets when  they where them.

Make the fine 5000 THB and if not paid, impound the bike. This will make people think before they act foolishly.

But on seeing the types of helmets that are permitted, it is just a cosmetic joke. The bikers on the forum are aware of the strict norms for a helmet to be efficient.

So the point here,  is it just to have a plastic piece of crap on the head to dodge the fine or is it necessary for the law to also check that the helmet is of a proper safety standard ?

And if purchased locally, how to trust the fellow selling you a legal helmet and not some AliExpress replica crap ? A never ending issue with no answers for the moment.....

Edited by observer90210

Too bad they will just drive right by the police, and the ones that get stopped, will just empty their wallets

I could handle 1k fine for not wearing my helmet if I had forgotten it.  But when you go about fining people 1k for not having a plastic ice cream container (and that just about sums up the quality of most Thai helmets) on your head is a bit rich.