Irish kiteboarder, 40, drowns at Hua Hin

webfact

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have a number of friends who are kite boarders. None of them went out yesterday, or the day before. They all know when the conditions are too risky. This guy must have been very good to even attempt those conditions. But, nonetheless he did not make it. 

I understand the idea of taking risks for excitement. But, there has to be a limit. Life is rather precious. Is it really worth it? Is the excitement that valuable? Is life without the excitement that comes from living on the edge really that dull for the risk takers? 

Looking at the photo in the OP, most surfers back home would have stayed away because the surf wasn't high enough.  Wind and kite surfers would have had a field day, occasionally putting on wetsuits if the low temp required it.  I know I'd certainly try it if I had spent my $$$ and precious vacation time to leave the frozen shores back home for an annual holiday.  Hell, I'd have tried it even if it was just a precious weekend off and I'd driven from BKK to HH.  We swim, surf, dive and play around in much worse back home every spring and fall- and some summer days, too.

I also get a kick out of the guys who ride scooters in Thailand, then talk about the foolishness of someone else's preferred extreme activity. (that part not aimed at Spidermike specifically- more of a general comment).

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

Looking at the photo in the OP, most surfers back home would have stayed away because the surf wasn't high enough.  Wind and kite surfers would have had a field day, occasionally putting on wetsuits if the low temp required it.  I know I'd certainly try it if I had spent my $$$ and precious vacation time to leave the frozen shores back home for an annual holiday.  Hell, I'd have tried it even if it was just a precious weekend off and I'd driven from BKK to HH.  We swim, surf, dive and play around in much worse back home every spring and fall- and some summer days, too.

I also get a kick out of the guys who ride scooters in Thailand, then talk about the foolishness of someone else's preferred extreme activity. (that part not aimed at Spidermike specifically- more of a general comment).

Well, I do ride a motorbike here. I have been riding for decades, so I have alot of skill. But, I am still very defensive in my driving. The other guy is always the concern here. I did not imply that an extreme activity was foolish. I would never pass that judgment on a man who seeks a thrill. I get that. All I was saying is that I do not understand some of the risks, that some guys take.

So, judging by your statement, you think the conditions were not extremely risky, but rather that the Irishman was perhaps not up to the task? 

I didn't know Jonathan, but I know people who did.  I understand he was a very good and experienced kite boarder, so no doubt completely capable of dealing with the conditions.  I do not kite board, but I did a lot or windsurfing when I was younger.  When conditions were similar to yesterday, we used to love it, look at the name, 'wind' surfing.  Same applies to 'kite' boarding.  You need wind.  Seems to me the issue was the bouys, so most likely a sad and tragic accident.  My condolences to your family and friends.

RIP Jonathan.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, I do ride a motorbike here. I have been riding for decades, so I have alot of skill. But, I am still very defensive in my driving. The other guy is always the concern here. I did not imply that an extreme activity was foolish. I would never pass that judgment on a man who seeks a thrill. I get that. All I was saying is that I do not understand some of the risks, that some guys take.

So, judging by your statement, you think the conditions were not extremely risky, but rather that the Irishman was perhaps not up to the task? 

No, I think the conditions were well within a skilled surfer's ability, and I can't make any comments on the victim's skill level.  If I were to question any judgment he made, it's going out alone.  But if everyone I know is working when I get the opportunity to kayak, swim, paddleboard or snorkel, I've made that same judgement call myself.  Instead of a one in a million chance of a tragedy, I exposed myself to a 2 in a million chance.

He got hung up on a rope, which was an absolute fluke.  Maybe if he had a buddy, he could have been saved, but the nature of kite surfing is that even buddies can be hundreds of meters apart- and safer for that separation.

I had a friend in high school who got into snorkeling and SCUBA and developed to an excellent skill level, but he got his ankle hung up on a rope that marked the swimming area at the local pond and drowned while snorkeling.  He was a genius, the smartest guy in the school and extremely responsible, in addition to very popular.  Devastated the lifeguards on duty that day (good friends of his) and everyone who knew him.  It, too, was a fluke- and he was well out of the lifeguard's area.  Maybe a buddy or a diving knife could have saved him, but hindsight like that is always clearer than foresight.

If I were to boil my points down to a few words, it's that the authorities often close an area when it's well within the skill level of someone experienced at much harsher conditions (the nanny state creeping in), and we all do stuff that others would call into question- usually after tragedy strikes, but sometimes before.

4 hours ago, balo said:

If he was a local he should have known better, the strongest winds for years right now. RIP.

Experts I have spoken to have stated that you can rig a smaller sail for windsurfing and a smaller kite for kitesurfing depending on the higher windspeed.   The photo in the OP looks like standard choppy seas.  Sounds like the deceased may have been a victim of bad luck.  RIP to him.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have a number of friends who are kite boarders. None of them went out yesterday, or the day before. They all know when the conditions are too risky. This guy must have been very good to even attempt those conditions. But, nonetheless he did not make it. 

I understand the idea of taking risks for excitement. But, there has to be a limit. Life is rather precious. Is it really worth it? Is the excitement that valuable? Is life without the excitement that comes from living on the edge really that dull for the risk takers? 

were your friends beginners?

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Tourists have been warned against playing water sports in the sea due to the dangerous conditions brought about by the northeastern monsoon and the approaching storm, Kai-Tak.

So when a rough sea warning is given why not make the "water sports" vendors STOP RENTING OUT EQUIPMENT TO ANYONE

Just an idea !

Another idea would to read the thread and understand he didn't rent anything.  He used his own equipment. 

typical comments from TV members with no clue as to the subject they are commenting on.

you have no idea about kiting so why not say nothing other then RIP to someone that has died!! 
he was kiting not swimming....you need wind to kite hence the name!  people kite in a lot stronger wind and waves than there was, you change kite sizes to suit the wind.
this guy was just unlucky with the buoys 

On 12/20/2017 at 8:06 AM, Dukeleto said:

Shame poor bloke, simple tragic accident with apparently no one to blame.

Really? 

Report says  Tourists have been warned against playing watersports in the sea due to the dangerous conditions brought about by the northeastern monsoon and the approaching storm, Kai-Tak.  Fair enough. Some tourists may not have been warned.

Why did the shop rent to him under these dangerous circumstances? Did they warn him of the danger? I doubt it. I expect that it was money , money, money that ruled.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Really? 

Report says  Tourists have been warned against playing watersports in the sea due to the dangerous conditions brought about by the northeastern monsoon and the approaching storm, Kai-Tak.  Fair enough. Some tourists may not have been warned.

Why did the shop rent to him under these dangerous circumstances? Did they warn him of the danger? I doubt it. I expect that it was money , money, money that ruled.

^^^ classic example

So you mean it could have happened anytime  ? He was just unlucky to die and it got nothing to do with the weather conditions ? 

If that's the case kiting sounds more dangerous to me than parachuting. 

kiting is an extreme sport, accidents can happen and they can happen fast thats why you have safety systems on all equipment.

there are roughly 100m worth of lines between the rider and the kite, if you crash the kite badly these can be all around you before you know it and can easily get tangled up on things in the water like marker buoys, which i believe is what happened in this case.

although the wind was strong for hua hin the last week, its normal for other kite spots. pretty sure this guy would have been out in similar conditions in Ireland.

On 12/22/2017 at 11:34 AM, geriatrickid said:

Really? 

Apparently Mr. Jonathan was not a tourist, and he was not renting the equipment, and he was an expert kiteboarder.

Shit happens, he was just unlucky.

RIP Mr. Jonathan, and condolences to his family and friends.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:48 PM, terryofcrete said:

Many tourists ignore the warnings.... and may I ask a simple question... how in the name of whoever are the people who rent these kites or whatever allowed to do so if there is adverse weather ? Will they be prosecuted for irresponsible trading ? Not a chance of course. The dangers that are acceptable , with no need at all for them to be, scares me every time I visit... and I visit quite a lot. The children on motorbikes with no helmets standing , ready to be the first to be smashed to smithereens in an accident. It makes me want to scream at the authorities, sort the obvious before you create controversy with stupid laws about beach smoking ! 

You obviously know nothing about kiteboarding. If you have zero knowledge your opinion doesn't matter. 

On 12/21/2017 at 4:39 PM, impulse said:

No, I think the conditions were well within a skilled surfer's ability, and I can't make any comments on the victim's skill level.  If I were to question any judgment he made, it's going out alone.  But if everyone I know is working when I get the opportunity to kayak, swim, paddleboard or snorkel, I've made that same judgement call myself.  Instead of a one in a million chance of a tragedy, I exposed myself to a 2 in a million chance.

He got hung up on a rope, which was an absolute fluke.  Maybe if he had a buddy, he could have been saved, but the nature of kite surfing is that even buddies can be hundreds of meters apart- and safer for that separation.

I had a friend in high school who got into snorkeling and SCUBA and developed to an excellent skill level, but he got his ankle hung up on a rope that marked the swimming area at the local pond and drowned while snorkeling.  He was a genius, the smartest guy in the school and extremely responsible, in addition to very popular.  Devastated the lifeguards on duty that day (good friends of his) and everyone who knew him.  It, too, was a fluke- and he was well out of the lifeguard's area.  Maybe a buddy or a diving knife could have saved him, but hindsight like that is always clearer than foresight.

If I were to boil my points down to a few words, it's that the authorities often close an area when it's well within the skill level of someone experienced at much harsher conditions (the nanny state creeping in), and we all do stuff that others would call into question- usually after tragedy strikes, but sometimes before.

A diving buddy, which is usually recommended, would more than likely been able to save him. And all it would have taken was one swipe with a good knife. Most of the divers I know carry good knives. When you dive alone, you increase your risks exponentially. I suppose many can argue the same rule does not apply to snorkeling.

But, I get your point. When the reaper is ready for you, not much you can do about it.

On 12/21/2017 at 2:20 AM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

It looks like normal conditions for kitesurfing.  You can't really kitesurf without wind and when there is wind there are waves.

I didn't want to say it but other than shores behind breakwaters, it looks fairly mild to me.   

I used to feel the bigger the better when it came to waves.

Archived