Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

New tourism minister makes his debut - assures safety for tourists in 2018


rooster59

Recommended Posts

New tourism minister makes his debut - assures safety for tourists in 2018

 

1513947963604-960x0.JPG

Image: Thai News Agency

 
The new Minister for Tourism and Sports Weerasak Kowsurat has spoken of his desire to lower accidents and crime directed at tourists in Thailand.
 
Weerasak was speaking at Asiatique the Riverfront in downtown Bangkok yesterday where a huge force of police, military and other local officials gathered at a ceremony to promote safety at Christmas and New Year.
 
He said that there would be many Thai and foreign tourists visiting the capital during the festive period. He was determined to ensure the safety of tourists and their belongings all over the country throughout his tenure.
 
Particular targets of concern were accidents and crime directed against tourists, he said.
 
On the stage were tourist police, drugs suppression officers, 191 special branch, the military, and BMA "thesakit" staff - 400 attended in all including some unidentified foreigners on stage. 
 
It was also announced that 12 boats are available to ensure river borne safety for tourists in Bangkok. 
 
Weerasak has taken over from Kobkarn Watanavarangul who was sacked last month. 
 
The event yesterday is part of "Amazing Thailand Tourism Year 2018".
 
 
 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-23
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news. The jet ski scammers, and the gem store scammers, and the motorbike scammers, and the fake cops on Sukhumvit scamming tourists for dropping a cigarette butt, and the theft special tourist bus staff, and all the other scammers going to jail.

I look forward to reading all about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt nothing more than using "tourist safety" as an excuse for a slap-up pigfest for the privileged. 

Is this the first of the New Year's TAT hubs? Thailand the hub of Tourist Safety.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Time will tell.  Grand gestures and big speeches are not enough to insure safety in such a dangerous place.   It is instilled in Thai psyche that foreigners should be prayed upon.  Just look at dual pricing.  And as for the road safety, lots of work needs to be done.  If he can avoid wearing overly expensive time pieces and other bling, he will at least enjoy a better reputation than those above him.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

"New tourism minister makes his debut - assures safety for tourists in 2018"

I take it that means personally assures safety for tourists then? Odd, I didn't notice his mobile number on the list there.

 

Oh, silly me, reading further on: "He was determined to ensure the safety of tourists." Not guarantee then. The usual get out, avoiding putting his money where his mouth is.

<end cynical mode>

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The new Minister for Tourism and Sports Weerasak Kowsurat has spoken of his desire to lower accidents and crime directed at tourists in Thailand.

"if wishes were horses then beggars would ride"

 

Thailand is so fortunate to have such a concerned "wisher".  Seriously, I'm amazed at how each of then many people standing with him were able to keep from grinning or outright laughing.

 

But, TIT!

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Smiley Face said:

"if wishes were horses then beggars would ride"

 

Thailand is so fortunate to have such a concerned "wisher".  Seriously, I'm amazed at how each of then many people standing with him were able to keep from grinning or outright laughing.

 

But, TIT!

Dead easy - they're all sucking lemons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The new Minister for Tourism and Sports Weerasak Kowsurat has spoken of his desire to lower accidents and crime directed at tourists in Thailand.

Same fecal matter, different tourism minister. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would have been totally amazing speech if the incoming minister

will go on to say: "listen here guys, I'm not going to change anything

around here, I like it the way it is, it's fine"

Now really, did anyone expected the speech to any different that the

cookie cutter speech he gave?.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sahibji said:

ladies and gentlemen give the man a chance. let us hear what action plan he has to tackle rouges who beat up tourists, whatever, the circumstances may be.

Since when did ANY Thai have ANY plan for ANYTHING...But goodluck..whatever the "plan"might be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sahibji said:

ladies and gentlemen give the man a chance. let us hear what action plan he has to tackle rouges who beat up tourists, whatever, the circumstances may be.

Never seen or heard of an action plan that has actually worked here...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DuiDui48 said:

Since when did ANY Thai have ANY plan for ANYTHING...But goodluck..whatever the "plan"might be.

For any politician the world over, if they are organised with a plan, there's bound to be self-interest somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Insures the safety of tourists from scams and group beat downs by various elements of xenophobic Thai society until he can't.  Probably as soon as Jan 1, 2018. 
Lots of hot air, not long on substance. 
"You scratch jet ski.  20,000 THB now or we beat you into som tum!"
"But that scratch was there when I rented it!"
Biff, Bam, Pow!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good news. The jet ski scammers, and the gem store scammers, and the motorbike scammers, and the fake cops on Sukhumvit scamming tourists for dropping a cigarette butt, and the theft special tourist bus staff, and all the other scammers going to jail.

I look forward to reading all about it.

Ho Hum. Another day in Thailand!

I believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny, I also believe in the new Thailand Tourism  Manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Time will tell.  Grand gestures and big speeches are not enough to insure safety in such a dangerous place.   It is instilled in Thai psyche that foreigners should be prayed upon.  Just look at dual pricing.  And as for the road safety, lots of work needs to be done.  If he can avoid wearing overly expensive time pieces and other bling, he will at least enjoy a better reputation than those above him.    

Just my personal experience, but of approximately 13 years spent here over a span of 30 years, I have only occasionally felt "preyed upon". 

 

Believe it or not, I like Thai people in general, which explains why I have spent so much time here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He was determined to ensure the safety of tourists and their belongings all over the country throughout his tenure.

Good on him. Now let's keep this in mind and hold him responsible for anything - and I mean anything - that goes wrong until after New Year for tourists throughout the kingdom. And  let's not accept any lame excuses. My hunch at this point is that Mr. Weerasak is going to regret to have made this statement so lightly as there will be theft, there will be tourists beaten to a pulp, and there will be scams left and right - the usual stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Time will tell.  Grand gestures and big speeches are not enough to insure safety in such a dangerous place.   It is instilled in Thai psyche that foreigners should be prayed upon.  Just look at dual pricing.  And as for the road safety, lots of work needs to be done.  If he can avoid wearing overly expensive time pieces and other bling, he will at least enjoy a better reputation than those above him.    

"It is instilled in Thai psyche that foreigners should be prayed upon."

 

And even "preyed" upon!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Tourist Minister,

 

Can you please stop the police in Chiang Mai setting up road blocks targeting tourist for money. This is a serious problem even for farang like me with an international license. I have also run into fake police checkpoints run by motorcycle gangs who are wearing official police uniforms.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...