Using "bookmark" for the students' grades and the problems that come with the program..

jenny2017

I was hoping to find an answer on the teaching forum about the Thai program of bookmark, just a few parts are modified to have a few words in English,. but that's it.

Here's my problem: I've got it working on my older notebook, but I could never get it working on my PC at home, which would make all much easier for me. Neither in the first term with my old hard drive that died, nor with a new one in second term.

I'm running W 10 pro on both machines and a 32 bit OS on the notebook. It seems that the 64 bit OS doesn't work, but it could be something else. 

The second term, I could only get it working with the Access Database Engine, a Windows program. But none of these programs is working on my PC and it only shows a crippled version of the Thai version at startup.( Then I know it won't be working)

If anybody has worked with such a fantastic program before ( joking, it's a pain in the butt) , I'd be more than happy to find a way to use it on my PC at home. Thanks a lot for your time. 

I could not get it to work on any W10 system and all my pc's at home and (at the time) in the school office were W10. 

A clapped out machine running a pirate W7 that intermittently crashed was used by many of the Thai teachers that didn't have a suitable old laptop.

IMO. This program is obsolete and for anyone who doesn't read Thai is a bummer to learn, especially if no one is allocated to sort occurring problems out. Even if it was available in English, there are so many hidden features in it that only someone who really knows it inside out can instruct others on its features. Many of the Thai teachers paid others to fill in their information as they were unable to comprehend the program.

Personally,  I told my school I was unable to fully understand it and just filled in the marks for my students, everything else was done on paper and given to the English head for her to sort out!

Bottom line, it doesn't work with W10.  AFAIK. 

17 minutes ago, Madgee said:

I could not get it to work on any W10 system and all my pc's at home and (at the time) in the school office were W10. 

A clapped out machine running a pirate W7 that intermittently crashed was used by many of the Thai teachers that didn't have a suitable old laptop.

IMO. This program is obsolete and for anyone who doesn't read Thai is a bummer to learn, especially if no one is allocated to sort occurring problems out. Even if it was available in English, there are so many hidden features in it that only someone who really knows it inside out can instruct others on its features. Many of the Thai teachers paid others to fill in their information as they were unable to comprehend the program.

Personally,  I told my school I was unable to fully understand it and just filled in the marks for my students, everything else was done on paper and given to the English head for her to sort out!

Bottom line, it doesn't work with W10.  AFAIK. 

Thanks a lot for your great post!! It seems that I was right that it doesn't work on the 64 bit version of W 10 .

But it's running well on my old Dell notebook with the 32 bit OS of W 10 Pro.The program itself is such a pain in the butt if you can't read Thai. It can destroy your weekends when you just have to find out that you've got less points after typing in assignments for more than 700 kids than you had before!

The trick is to save the T872 file on your drive D, then copy it back to the thumb drive when you're done. Another way that seems to work is to export all Excel files, get the job done and import them. But the problem is that too many functions I just don't know can make it to a big headache.

Good to know that it's not working on W 10, I've already wasted too much time. Merry Christmas and a Great New year 2018!! 

13 hours ago, aidenai said:

Working all functional on my laptop and desktop. Both Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Using Bookmarks '2551 Program Version IV. Don't forget to set your 'system locale' to Thai.

Thanks for the thumbs up, but it doesn't work. Once the Karaoke Thai shows up, it doesn't work. Merry X-Mas and a good New year !! 

Bookmark version IV.png

2 minutes ago, aidenai said:

With 'system locale' set to Thai.

Capture_54.jpg

OMG, I've just changed the language settings in the right lower bar, but didn't change the language setting of the machine and where I am. I'll try that now and report back. Thank you very much for your help !!

1 hour ago, aidenai said:

It's not the language setting. It"s "system locale.

Control Panel > Region > Administrative > Change system locale.

I've been busy for the last hour and tried almost all. You were so right with your settings, but it seems that bookmark was created to give me a damn hard time.

After the change to system locale, btw a setting that I had no idea of, the program looks great after start up and real Thai can be seen.

But I've tried all, using the folders T 873 folders copied them on my D drive.

But the program doesn't work, now it can't find the data, I better stop for now or I might destroy the program.

I don't know if it's because the two machines have a different OS, the notebook where it's functioning is a 32 bit, the desktop a 64 bit.

I've wasted so much time now trying to get it solved and wanted to thank you very much for the time you've invested. A Merry Christmas and a Superb happy New year to you. Thanks again. 

Connect database Fail.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I had the same problem with Bookmark as I've just bought new notebook with window 10 -64. So I contacted the software company and asked them for help. The problem is not the windows 10 -64, but Microsoft Office 64 version. Here are the instructions that I've got from the software maker:

Remove your office
remove your access runtime
restart your computer
install access runtime 32 bit
install office 32 bit
now bookmark program can run

So I gave up the idea to use my comp. with Bookmark. I hope this helped.   Enjoy your Bookmarking ;)

On 1/4/2018 at 10:08 PM, nowhereman said:

Hi there. I had the same problem with Bookmark as I've just bought new notebook with window 10 -64. So I contacted the software company and asked them for help. The problem is not the windows 10 -64, but Microsoft Office 64 version. Here are the instructions that I've got from the software maker:

Remove your office
remove your access runtime
restart your computer
install access runtime 32 bit
install office 32 bit
now bookmark program can run

So I gave up the idea to use my comp. with Bookmark. I hope this helped.   Enjoy your Bookmarking ;)

I do have Office 32 installed on my 64 processor machine, I'm afraid it's got something to do with the access runtime? Shouldn't bookmark work when I stop all these applications via task manager, before I even think to delete such a huge program like MS office?

With the from aidenai given tip, it looks good now, but doesn't find the file where the data is. It's really annoying, but I'd like to find the problem. I'll report back once I've found the problem(s). 

No idea if Aldenai is reading this topic again, but it would be great to know how he made it happen that both machines work?

I've tried to set up the 2016 runtime, but it stops and tells me that I've got a 64 bit version. But I've got the MS Office 32 bit, or better said 86 version of it.

If the 32 version of runtime doesn't work, what could be wrong? I also have two files of MS office on my 64 program files. I might just delete them and try it.

• 4 months later...

Did anybody got bookmark running with MS office 32 on W 10 Pro?

It won't be long and the software is back with the same old same old problems. 

I'm even willing to delete my MS office, even when it's the 32 version ( but might have some 64-bit versions somewhere)

It would be deeply appreciated if anybody got it running well. Thanks a lot in advance. 

Bookmark problem is finally solved.

It's indeed not working with the 64-bit version of MS office. 

I've installed the 32-bit version of MS Office Pro 2016, deleted all MS Office files inside 64-bit program files and it's finally running.

The program needs to have an AccessDatabaseEngine installed, please see attached file.

Happy bookmarking!!! 

P.S. As Aldenai had already mentioned, you've got to change your "System Locale" to Thailand. 

The AccessDatabaseEngine 2016 86 bit version doesn't work, it wrongly shows that an MS office 64-bit product is installed, which is a known bug.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_access-msoffice_custom-mso_2016/microsoft-access-database-engine-2016/f2403c9b-a2e5-44c2-b0a8-955428102498

If you install the one I've attached, it works.

AccessDatabaseEngine_x86.exe

Archived