Where To Buy cheap Meat Beef

Davai

Hello 

New Year Eve coming and we are on a mission to cook instead of dining out 

I would like to know where do Thai people buy fresh uncooked beef in pattaya?  

Many years ago a Russian friend told us they can be bought at a mosque in pattaya as there are Muslim vendor selling it (is this true?) 

I've seen many sold in big c are expensive 

If you are looking to buy Cheap Beef,you had better have gnashers like that

guy in the James Bond movies,as even decent Thai Beef is as tough as

old boots. you maybe be better with pork which is very good and cheap,

or chicken ditto,

regards worgeordie

Most of the Thais dont like beef but of course there can be a little population. As I am the fan of beef meat, I tried many shops in Pattaya. Most of theirs beef is very hard and not tasty. I dont know if my suggestion helps but if you look for price value beef, I can recommend (the beef rib eye 350thb per kg)Friendship market on Pattaya Tai road.

Very few Thai buy any kind of beef - the only beef they will likely come into contact with is from old water buffalo and even then most will not eat.  Chok Chai Farms and such provide better grade domestic beef but most would be purchased by hotels for feeding foreign guests.  So yes you will probably have to pay for decent quality beef.  As said pork and chicken are the meats of choice here.

If you want good beef in Thailand at a reasonable price, you want to be looking for Thai-French beef that mainly comes from Sakon Nakhon. Otherwise known in Thai as "Pon Yang Kham."

The TF beef cooperative has a butcher shop/retail outlet right near the main Villa Market on Sukhumvit Soi 33 in Bangkok at very good prices. But the same cooperative also sells their TF beef to the various farang oriented supermarkets around the country, who resell it unfortunately at sometimes considerably higher prices.

http://www.thaifrenchbeef.com/PYK_ENG.html

3 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

Just go to Foodland, Big C extra and they all of have a selection of local beef(yuck). They also have imported beef. 

My local Big C seems to be trying to wind up beef sales, I did buy one pack (already in a plastic bag, not on a foam tray).

At home I opened the pack and it was just numerous small offcuts. 

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Truth is the pack was about 10% less in price than the usual high quality imported from OZ beef I buy at Foodland.

Yes  the old adage 

"Enjoy the quality long after the extra expense is forgotten"

If you want to make up a stew or a chunky chili you can use Thai beef as you will be braising it while it slow cooks. For cooking steaks or a roast break down and buy imported beef it can be found from 900 to 2000 baht a kilo. Well worth it all the way around.

I buy my beef many times from the supermarket the main south road by Tukcom. They have good Top Round for roasting and good fillet, scotch fillet which I get vacuum packed and take it back to Khon Kaen with me.  It is around 350-390kilo. I also get them to mince me a big piece of the top round. Pick your scotch fillet with fat runs in it. Before you cook it rub olive oil on it, salt, pepper and stick it in the fridge over night. Heat olive oil in a fry pan hot and put the steak in cook for 2 mins turn the heat down and wait for blood to start seaping out then turn over keep pressing down with a flat head ladle and wait for the blood to start seaping out. Oh, before you put in the fridge get a fork and punch it all over for some time. 

If you have a Top's Market store near you, I would check there. The store near me has imported fresh, not frozen beef cuts on display. Makro, Tesco and Big C stores near me have beef in their freezer sections, occasionally Big C has fresh cuts for sale. The price of imported beef is high everywhere in Thailand.

40 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Their fresh mince is OK but the frozen stuff is very fatty, low quality.

Never tried the frozen stuff so thanks for the insight.

Tend to only use beef mince for things like spaghetti , chili , or sheperds pie.

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you want good beef in Thailand at a reasonable price, you want to be looking for Thai-French beef that mainly comes from Sakon Nakhon. Otherwise known in Thai as "Pon Yang Kham."

The TF beef cooperative has a butcher shop/retail outlet right near the main Villa Market on Sukhumvit Soi 33 in Bangkok at very good prices. But the same cooperative also sells their TF beef to the various farang oriented supermarkets around the country, who resell it unfortunately at sometimes considerably higher prices.

http://www.thaifrenchbeef.com/PYK_ENG.html

An interesting website, but, seemingly outdated also. Prices quoted 2009!

7 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

Just go to Foodland, Big C extra and they all of have a selection of local beef(yuck). They also have imported beef. 

what about a live baby calf , pay a farmer to feed it .  at maturity  butcher it and fill the freezer with loins and steaks , then invite me over every day you throw a steak on the barby ..... ok ?

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If you are looking to buy Cheap Beef,you had better have gnashers like that

guy in the James Bond movies,as even decent Thai Beef is as tough as

old boots. you maybe be better with pork which is very good and cheap,

or chicken ditto,

regards worgeordie

You probably never made a truer statement

Archived