Where To Buy cheap Meat Beef

Davai

I think the last thing you want to do is serve a chewy lump of leather on a new year's eve dinner.

There may be good Thai beef out there, I have eaten it before, but I wouldn't know where to buy it (reliably). For a sure fire cut that'll turn out well, check out Friendship and Foodland, they often have good Australian beef. If you want larger amounts they may also be able to pre-order it. Bring your significant Thai with you to get that arranged, of course. But do train her/him in advance how to deal with the "mai dai" ;)

Fan

I'd agree that the normal everyday Thai beef tends to resemble shoe leather.

But the Thai French beef can be quite good and tender, especially if you select the good cuts.

Not all Thai beef is created equal.

Regularly get TF ribeye steaks from the TF shop in Suk Soi 33 in Bangkok for 600+b per kilo, and they're perfectly good.

I noticed that pork is more cheaper than beef in thailand, maybe because majority of the thais eat pork rather than beef.

im looking to cook Beef Stew at home during New Year Eve, Tommorow ill do all my groceries and try Macro or Tesco 

27 minutes ago, Davai said:

I noticed that pork is more cheaper than beef in thailand, maybe because majority of the thais eat pork rather than beef.

im looking to cook Beef Stew at home during New Year Eve, Tommorow ill do all my groceries and try Macro or Tesco 

pork is more cheaper than beef in all over the world:) 

Thai's don't Age Beef. making all steaks as tuff as nails. Keeping them in a refrigerator for a few days first helps, but not that much. I have searched for years to find one and to be honest I never did.

There used to  be a Farang Meat Shop in Pattaya, but they were way overpiriced for what they sold. They called it a T-Bone Steak, and you paid that price, but the Tenderloin was missing, making that a Rib Steak. They were also like boot leather. My nearest guess is they bought them at Makro, and resold them at a higher price in there shop. That and everything else they sold. Disappointing to say the least. But I think they are now out of business as people caught on. 

There is of course expensive Imported Australian Beef, and it is more tender. But to be honest I don't care much for that or the taste either. The best steakes I have ever had in Thailand was at a 5 Star Hotel in Bangkok, where they only serve Imported Canadian Beef.  They were great and by far the best in Thailand. When in Bangkok I always go there. But you also pay through the nose for that also. 

17 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

Just go to Foodland, Big C extra and they all of have a selection of local beef(yuck). They also have imported beef. 

Listen to this guy........... (YUCK) for sure for cheap Thai Beef.........

In Thailand..... Be a 'cheap-charlie' (and BE SORRY) when buying Thai Beef.........

You will wear out your teeth and hate yourself...... LOL.......

On 12/25/2017 at 9:02 PM, amvet said:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/CompanyB.Thailand/about/

They deliver and sell at Macro

Or Foodland go look.  

I've been getting very nice beef shank at Foodland for 220 per kg. If you want Thai beef cuts at Foodland, ask the butcher as most of it is not on display. They'll get it straight out of the freezer and cut it to your specifications. I've seen the same beef at Friendship for 315 and Big C extra for 375 (without bone) per kg.

On 12/25/2017 at 10:21 PM, worgeordie said:

If you are looking to buy Cheap Beef,you had better have gnashers like that

guy in the James Bond movies,as even decent Thai Beef is as tough as

old boots. you maybe be better with pork which is very good and cheap,

or chicken ditto,

regards worgeordie

I agree. I have given up with Thai beef steaks. Firstly it isn't cut right by the butcher and is tough as old boots. Pork's the way to go. Unless you're a Muslim of course.

Not really true that Thai's do not eat beef. Just to buy it is expensive, and most of it is from cows eating scrub or whatever they can find, so usually old and tough. Few will actually BUY it, because not a good deal compared with pork. When a farmer kills a cow, he shares out the meat with family and neighbours, or swaps it for something. Cattle are just an animal to make use of rough pasture land with little other use. Plenty like the taste, just not the price (or the toughness).

At least that is the case up here in rural Isaan. 

2 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Not really true that Thai's do not eat beef. Just to buy it is expensive, and most of it is from cows eating scrub or whatever they can find, so usually old and tough. Few will actually BUY it, because not a good deal compared with pork. When a farmer kills a cow, he shares out the meat with family and neighbours, or swaps it for something. Cattle are just an animal to make use of rough pasture land with little other use. Plenty like the taste, just not the price (or the toughness).

At least that is the case up here in rural Isaan. 

There are some different tastes in rural Isaan - but in general believe most Thai equate beef with their family member water buffalo and do not see him as something to eat, any more than the family dog, so there really is little demand.  Obviously one rule does not fit all however.  

On 26/12/2560 at 1:18 PM, csabo said:

Don't buy or eat Muslim Halal meat in any form anywhere. 

In Thailand, all the Chicken and Beef are Halal everywhere, even breads and noodles are Halal, 

If your objection is with the slaughter method especially, I'm afraid Thailand is not for you

Okay, I realise this is the Pattaya forum and I wish I could do something to help.

This is the beef I buy from my local market in Korat @ 280 Bht per kilo.

I buy a whole sirloin and let it rest in the fridge for 10 days or so.

DSC_5954.JPG.dd0f49921d231b5faf376f75777309e9.JPG

When cooked it looks like this.

DSC_4995.JPG.d5b067d699ba29e415590394557dc8f3.JPG

So, all those that say good beef can't be bought at a good price in Thailand are talking nonsense.

1 hour ago, mrjohn said:

Okay, I realise this is the Pattaya forum and I wish I could do something to help.

So, all those that say good beef can't be bought at a good price in Thailand are talking nonsense.

"Wrong, wrong, wrong," was his unhesitant reply. "I'm not sure where to start. First of all, you're not going to taste any difference after four days. For dry aged beef, you need to go 21 days at a bare minimum for any noticeable changes. The shortest we'll age anything is 30 days

A quick gag-inducing sniff test proved the worst in the case of the nine-day aged steaks: They were all rotten. Even cutting into them revealed a core of edible meat only a few eighths of an inch thick. I threw them out, rather than risk the health of my tasters. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/01/the-food-lab-dry-age-beef-at-home.html

6 hours ago, mrjohn said:

I caught a beef tapeworm from rare Thai meat. It's easy to avoid if you freeze it for at least 24 hours (approximately -18C), which will kill the larvae. My suspicions are the rare roast beef I used to buy at Big-C Xtra (then Carrefour). I still buy it, but I always throw it in the freezer for days before I eat it. I'll use Thai beef for stews and soups, but if I want a steak it has to be imported because I like medium rare steak. If I want to rare roast Thai beef, it has to be pre-frozen.

7 hours ago, mrjohn said:

But is it tender?

Archived