Hua Hin seafood restaurants, slammed for overcharging, defend their prices

webfact

28 minutes ago, Morch said:

Getting a quality steak for a reasonable price here is a category by its own....

Always liked the australian chopped steak at Sizzlers, but last time it was full of drizzle and hard pieces...plus there were loads of crying babies in the restaurant so i won't go there anymore. Price also went up a lot lately plus the qeueu of 30 minutes is no fun.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if the price is stated per 100gram then you need to know the weight of the food you are ordering I live mostly in Cha Am and recently asked for lobster and was quoted 3000Bhat a kilo which to me is outrageous.  These people ate Thai so there would have been no problem with language in questioning the pricing structure and how much food weighs. As quoted above 460 per head for food at the beach is not that bad.

On 12/27/2017 at 1:09 PM, Thian said:

Always liked the australian chopped steak at Sizzlers, but last time it was full of drizzle and hard pieces...plus there were loads of crying babies in the restaurant so i won't go there anymore. Price also went up a lot lately plus the qeueu of 30 minutes is no fun.

I always found the food at Sizzlers to be pretty poor. I liked it in the past as I had a soft spot for it growing up as I had bday parties there as a kid. Wasn't so bad 10 years ago but the prices in Sizzler now are pretty grim if ordering a main meal. Compltely out of line for the quality of the food. I only bother going there if I want to get a lunch promo with the salad bar. Not going to spend 700+ baht on a sub par steak.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:53 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Let me re-phrase that for you then.

Thai tourists ie Thais on holiday for a day or three in HH.

Not the wealthy Thais living in HH.

Better?

Those prices quoted in the OP are about double what one would pay in Chonburi, Chantaburi et al on the other seaboard (for Thai tourists) and double what one would pay up country that needs 24 hour delivery in a refrigerated truck.

So, price gouging in Hua Hin?

It's reknowned for it.

No Sir! I dont need your help in rephrasing my post - I still stand-bi my original post.

My friends do live in Hua Hin and Cha Am area and are not stinking rich.

They are just some middle class Thais and most working for the Government.

Just for my curiosity, how much would be a reasonable price for a seafood platter and what would it contain?

On 12/26/2017 at 9:40 AM, ezzra said:

Gone are the days where seafood in restaurants was easily affordable,

nowadays, seafood is not cheap, unless you go to some ports where

the fishermen are coming in from the sea with their catch of the day,

otherwise, buyer beware and informed before ordering.....

In Chiang Mai there is fresh seafood available for reasonable prices - probably around 350THB / head for two people and great tucker! Still maybe not over the holiday period when CNX fills up with folk from BKK and elsewhere

The seafood prices reflect the cost of doing business here. Please keep in mind that rents are significantly higher and labour, when available, is paid more than in some little town up or down the coast. Last night at the night market seafood restaurant strip, we had a  grilled fish dish, a couple beers, vegetables, a mixed seafood dish, and a cockles dish for about 800baht. Quite reasonable.

I was there in Hua Hin at that day, and 3 days before. We ate on the beach (but maybe not the same place). We agreed to not order anything that did not have a plated price (such as never order dishes that were priced per gms). So, we only ordered drinks and went to the restaurant after. Never trust anyone.

Archived