BANGKOK 24 February 2019 11:46
madusa

True and Proper Buddhist teaching

There is Thai Buddism and Thai ancestor worship, feudal system, superstition, Idolatry, class system and everything in between. Its not so much the non-practice of Buddhism, but the practice of the other beliefs

I believe that the true and proper <insert religion here> is not being practised in <insert country here>.

Didnt we just have a celebration of religion yesterday that doesnt have much to do with the pure practice of the religion.

If you are Buddhist why not try and spread the teachings of your religion from within, become a monk, be pure in your own practice and sharing of the religion. If you are not Buddhist, maybe address your criticism to the people who teach and practice your own religion.

• Like 2

To the OP.. everyone believes that they are right, that their religion is the correct one, that they are wise, etc. Few people  have the wisdom to listen to criticism and admit to themselves that they might be wrong. Trying to tell the Buddhist leadership here that they are doing it all wrong would be a waste of time. A monk might advise the correct practice but to tell people they are doing it wrong would only get him ignored.

The ego is the biggest problem for most people and its asian aspect of 'face' is very strong here. If they really understood the teachings of the Buddha about annatta then they would abandon the need for 'face'... even thai monks do not understand this and still try to preserve their 'face'.

Rocky pretty much summed it up.
We are all governed by filters and external influences and Thailand has its share as all countries do.
All this even confused The Buddha until he reached a point of seeing it. Doh, the lights went on. Our paradigms change from within ( our view) and they are cemented in stone until they change again even if inaccurate again. They are the only logic until they change again. I would describe enlightenment partly as the realization and admission that these temporary and evolutionary views are usually inaccurate, subjective and filtering the truth.
555 now the amigdula.... that’s another interesting story.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Forget all of the Buddhist dogma and mythology except for the most basic teachings about the nature of phenomena and how to discriminate between the unchanging and changing. It's not even clear what Buddha himself taught. The earliest writings differ so much from the interpretations and commentaries that have appeared throughout the ages. It's enough to confuse anyone. What is even more misunderstood is practice which is at the core of practical Buddhism. For instance some make a distinction between Vipassana and Samatha as two different practices and then think of the Jhanas as something else entirely. I don't make such a distinction and nor do others such as Ajahn Brahm. And then there is mindfulness which has now been hijacked by the corporate sector to increase performance while ignoring the real purpose of it.

What you essentially need to know is Be Still!

Hi
Good posts.
Actually Samatha is practiced by all sectors of Buddhist meditation practices.
Perhaps you meant Theravada?

As you said “be still” is the entry point where Samatha practice enables us to to see more clearly the intensity and power that our “monkey mind” imposes upon us.
That is meditative 101 and not easy to accomplish effectively.
With practice we see how while although seemingly powerful, they quickly fade and are replaced by yet another thought. In time most of these thoughts become paper tigers and their affects on us are diminished.

Re vipassana

The Buddha was said to have practiced it and it was later brought back to us by Sri Goenka who is largely responsible for it thriving today.

Samatha is the 1st step to a successful vipassana experience.

I do believe the Tibetans focusing on Vajrayana practice have taken “practice” and “result of practice” to even higher levels.

Although Theravada remains the necessary root, vajrayana involves very different practices and the resulting “awareness”.

The Buddha tought about what he did and what he “realized”.

Perhaps some of the confusion stems from the fact that he varied his explanations based on the students’ capacity to understand. He did not teach what I would consider dogma.

Re vipassana
The Buddha was said to have practiced it and it was later brought back to us by Sri Goenka who is largely responsible for it thriving today.

I do believe the Tibetans focusing on Vajrayana practice have taken “practice” and “result of practice” to even higher levels.

Although Theravada remains the necessary root, vajrayana involves very different practices and the resulting “awareness”.

The Buddha taught about what he did and what he “realized”.
Perhaps some of the confusion stems from the fact that he varied his explanations based on the students’ capacity to understand. He did not teach what I would consider dogma.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi
Good posts.
Actually Samatha is practiced by all sectors of Buddhist meditation practices.
Perhaps you meant Theravada?

As you said “be still” is the entry point where Samatha practice enables us to to see more clearly the intensity and power that our “monkey mind” imposes upon us.
That is meditative 101 and not easy to accomplish effectively.
With practice we see how while although seemingly powerful, they quickly fade and are replaced by yet another thought. In time most of these thoughts become paper tigers and their affects on us are diminished.

No I meant Samatha. Becoming still is not 101. It's 999. It's the most advanced practice possible. All the Jhanas unfold from that.

Re vipassana

The Buddha tought about what he did and what he “realized”.

Buddhadasa Bhikkhu states in his book 'Handbook For Mankind' that the Buddha did not teach Vipasanna meditation, and that there is no mention of it in the Tipitaka.

To become Still is to experience samadhi or non-dual awareness. The Therevadans don't speak about non-dual awareness but refer to seeing things as they are. But the Mahayanas do with concepts such as emptiness. However I would argue there is no difference between what the Therevadans and Mahayanas are saying. It's just different terminology. Vipassana (insight) is just a by-product of being established in awareness and develops naturally from stillness.

It is not useful to separate Shamata and Vipassana as being two different practices. It is more useful to consider the absorption states as describeded in the Jhanas. If you think it's important to authenticate it then these Jhanas were at the heart of the earliest teachings. In fact they were practiced before the Buddha. The increasing depth of experience comes from stillness, silence, samadhi, awareness, nothing else. No teachings.

Vipassana has Hindu roots. Long before Buddha “awoke”. he was a Hindu after all and lived for many years as a Sadu.
I would venture that Vipassana ( I have only done Goenka 10 day) involves more “dogma” as it follows the precepts and their conduct rules. Samatha and insight meditation tend to discourage rules and “judgement” to tap deeper into our “Buddha nature” as a moral guide

Vipassana has Hindu roots. Long before Buddha “awoke”. he was a Hindu after all and lived for many years as a Sadu.

I would venture that Vipassana ( I have only done Goenka 10 day) involves more “dogma” as it follows the precepts and their conduct rules. Samatha and insight meditation tend to discourage rules and “judgement” to tap deeper into our “Buddha nature” as a moral guide

What I wanted to add is that you cannot actually practice vipassana in the same way that you cannot practice success. Vipassana is the result of connecting with and becoming established in awareness.