New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 19:06
madusa

True and Proper Buddhist teaching

Sorry I did not mean they should be separated but that Samatha was only a part of Vipassana teaching and practice.
Of course an important part.

The Buddha taught “this is what I did and this was the result” “try it and see how it works for you”.

Hehe he appears to be the only one to ever experience all this without a teacher.
Like playing piano, intellectual understanding can only get us so far. We have to do the practices for the paradigm shift and doing that without a valid lineage instruction regime seems futile to me. Perhaps this is where it parallels some dogma for support but that is a personal choice.
I tend to validate any progress I make with a science parallel.
Ie Richard Davidson or Daniel Goleman for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sorry I did not mean they should be separated but that Samatha was only a part of Vipassana teaching and practice.
Of course an important part.

The Buddha taught “this is what I did and this was the result” “try it and see how it works for you”.

Hehe he appears to be the only one to ever experience all this without a teacher.
Like playing piano, intellectual understanding can only get us so far. We have to do the practices for the paradigm shift and doing that without a valid lineage instruction regime seems futile to me. Perhaps this is where it parallels some dogma for support but that is a personal choice.
I tend to validate any progress I make with a science parallel.
Ie Richard Davidson or Daniel Goleman for example.

There have been many who have experienced this without a teacher but that's another subject.

I assume you are familiar with the Satipatthana Sutta, the basis of vipassana or mindfulness or whatever you want to call it.

Hehe perhaps Jesus among them. But he had teachers. Bhuddasatva?

That sutta is of course well discussed among Theravadans.
Way beyond my capability.
Vajrayana practice addresses those triggers both negative and positive, by using them as fodder for the insight practice and reducing their effect accordingly. That is probably one of the differences of that practice.
Hehe great news since as a non enlightened one I will never run out of fodder.
Are you near Udon?

Hehe perhaps Jesus among them. But he had teachers. Bhuddasatva?

That sutta is of course well discussed among Theravadans.
Way beyond my capability.
Vajrayana practice addresses those triggers both negative and positive, by using them as fodder for the insight practice and reducing their effect accordingly. That is probably one of the differences of that practice.
Hehe great news since as a non enlightened one I will never run out of fodder.
Are you near Udon?

Don't be an end of path denier. Nirvana is more common than you might think.

I'm based in Phuket.

Kabat Zin was inspired by Thich Nhat Hanh, a Mahayana teacher.
I don’t think he would have found a home for his programs if it were not for the previous hard work of Francisco Varela with funding from Dalai Lama.
Hopefully he is reaching a populous that Dharma could not.

Hehe perhaps Enlightenment is the realization that Nirvana May be just a figment of our imagination.
I just try to combine my practice with my daily stride and see where I end up.
There’s always next life if I don’t make it this time.

Nirvana will always just be a figment of your imagination until you know what it is. It cannot be anything else but a concept. However meditation practice can yield temporary glimpses of it, even though there is still ego attachment and identification. If you are able to experience from time to time deep objectless awareness, no matter how brief, then you will intuitively know that this is your natural state which is peace of mind. Just continue with the practice and don't become too attached to dogma.

Actually other than some valued relationships with a few monastics, the closest I come to any dogma is walking barefoot often because my feet tend to sweat in warm weather. In my early teens I gave up on my Protestant upbringing because it left too many questions unanswered.

Since my first India trip in the late 70s ( business related) I I’ve watched the beads and sandals crowd follow their gurus and wondered why one must dress like a guru to better think like one. I’m not anti dharma, it just has limits that do no go beyond my curiosity. For some it may be comforting to conform to a particular credo.

By glimpses are you referring to “gaps”?

Even non practitioners have memorable moments when “everything just feels right” and there is a clarity that we recognize. Usually when we are away on vacation or at least away from our usual madness. It doesn’t last long.

This awareness I would call “ meditation. For me it is a taste of what can be without my dominant “monkey mind”.

The Tibetan word for meditation is “gom ” “ to become more familiar with”

I do recognize that state and I try to exercise it in my daily life. Not as a dogma but more a just let it happen.

It is an amazing journey and much fun every time I catch my monkey flexing his/her muscles.

Just takes practice for the paradigm shift that turns the lights on.

BTW beautiful sunrise this morning

By dogma I mean being attached to words, concepts, ideas and the mythology surrounding this historical person called Buddha. There are volumes and volumes of words of Buddhist teachings and many attach themselves to these ideas and even argue with others over interpretations etc. The practice of going within to experience pure awareness is primary. Scripture is secondary.

By glimpses I mean realizing that you are unbounded in these moments when you are just experiencing awareness without phenomena. It's true that during activity sometimes things feel just right and that is also an indication that you are in touch with the ground state of Being.

Should read: the awareness of this state

Cool chatting with you.
You obviously have a deep history and understanding.
I’m a Canuck. We hosted secular meditation groups for many years under the guidance of Mingyur Rinpoche.

Cool chatting with you.
You obviously have a deep history and understanding.
I’m a Canuck. We hosted secular meditation groups for many years under the guidance of Mingyur Rinpoche.

I've taught about 30 people to meditate in Phuket. I used to have a Facebook group for that but gave it up because there wasn't that much interest. Let's face it. Most people want to do "Wellness". And as for yoga asanas, well we know that's not really yoga right? There aren't that many serious seekers.

I spent some chill time with Mingyur Rinpoche kayaking, sailing eating etc and we chatted about that. I said it was both a blessing and a curse. After years of tonglin we begin to feel the “suffering in others” and why so we want to help but nobody’s listening. 555 he laughed and said “ don’t worry it’s not permanent.