Jump to content
BANGKOK
madusa

True and Proper Buddhist teaching

Recommended Posts

I am open to new ideas as the thoughts I write here are not my thoughts. They are just thoughts that come into my head.

 

Even "my" head is so wrong. Its as wrong as the concept of "my" body. How is it "my" body? How much control do "I" have over "my" body? Very little.

 

My hair is turning white. How did that happen? I never ask my hair to turn white and I certainly didn't control it to turn white.

 

If my heart stops beating I will be dead. I am not controlling my heart beating. It beats by itself. Sometimes it beats faster and sometimes it beats slower, I don't control any of it.

 

My eyes sees and I don't control any of that. It just sees. I don't say rods and cones start seeing and tell me what you see.

 

So the thoughts are not mine, the body is not mine what is it that is me or mine or I? Maybe really nothing. 

 

😀 

 

Not me, not mine, not I.

 

However if I double park and I get a ticket I will pay the fine as I do not deny the actions and the consequences to be "mine".

 

However I happily pay with money that belongs to the person that is not me.

 

There is nothing like spending other people's money. Absolutely nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 12:04 PM, jamesc2000 said:

I am not so sure faith and believe has any part to play in anything in Buddhism.

 

Say I get food poisoning and an ambulance brings me to hospital. Now I don't believe in western medicine but they pump me full of drugs and I get well. If they pump me full of the right drugs I get better regardless of whether I believe in western medicine or not.

 

Surely its the same with karma. I don't believe in karma and I do lots of bad things and if karma is true lots of bad things happen to me. Now if karma is true even if I never heard of karma let alone believe in it bad things are going to happen to me.

😀  

The problem with Kharma might be due to its interpretation.

 

Many think there is a ledger kept on each of us which records our deeds.

A ledger which influences our fate.

Many might discount such a thing as the thought of a ledger being kept which will somehow control ones future or destiny sounds absurd.

 

The word Karma (sanskrit) is a verb, and means "action" or what one does.

 

Influenced by conditioning and genetics, most humans behave in a habitual manner.

Whether bad, or good, we regularly do.

Some actions might be negative and others neutral or positive.,

 

Some things we might do are:

  • Live unhealthy lifestyles in which we may fail to exercise, eat overly processed foods, and smoke & drink,  or
  • Live dangerously by failing to obey traffic rules whilst intoxicated,  or
  • Regularly take what doesn't belong to us,  or

 

These actions are our Kharma or "what we do".

Eventually, but not always, our Kharma may result in Vipaka which translates as "the fruits of Kharma".

 

If one lives an unhealthy lifestyles in which one may fail to exercise, eat overly processed foods, smoke & drink, this may result in disease or death.

 

If one lives dangerously by speeding, & failing to obey traffic rules whilst intoxicated this may result in death or serious injury or harm to others.

 

If one regularly takes what doesn't belong to them, punishment under the law or retribution may occur.

 

Kharma:  what you do/action

Vipaka: fruits of kharma

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jamesc2000 said:

I am open to new ideas as the thoughts I write here are not my thoughts. They are just thoughts that come into my head.

 

Even "my" head is so wrong. Its as wrong as the concept of "my" body. How is it "my" body? How much control do "I" have over "my" body? Very little.

 

My hair is turning white. How did that happen? I never ask my hair to turn white and I certainly didn't control it to turn white.

 

If my heart stops beating I will be dead. I am not controlling my heart beating. It beats by itself. Sometimes it beats faster and sometimes it beats slower, I don't control any of it.

 

My eyes sees and I don't control any of that. It just sees. I don't say rods and cones start seeing and tell me what you see.

 

So the thoughts are not mine, the body is not mine what is it that is me or mine or I? Maybe really nothing. 

 

😀 

 

Not me, not mine, not I.

 

However if I double park and I get a ticket I will pay the fine as I do not deny the actions and the consequences to be "mine".

 

However I happily pay with money that belongs to the person that is not me.

 

There is nothing like spending other people's money. Absolutely nothing.

My experience is limited and some of my knowledge results from a level of faith in what was written.

 

Basically, your thoughts are the result of conditioning and genetics.

 

If you were raised from birth by another couple the resultant you would have a completely different set of values, beliefs and habits which would result in different thoughts.

 

You could say the values, beliefs and habits you express were someone elses, but you negotiate life thinking these are yours/you.

 

Most people act on their thoughts, often without thought as to whether their action was appropriate or the best one to take.

Your accumulated values, beliefs and habits are impermanent.

 

Practicing Sitting Meditation eventually yields another state in which there is consciousness without thought.

This can be difficult to achieve as ones thoughts are associated with ones Ego.

Ego thinks this is you and will try anything in its powers to remain in control.

 

With dedicated practice one can achieve long periods of consciousness without thought.

This state, free from thought, is said to be unconditioned and can yield many incites.

 

The real answers to your questions about I, me, my reveal themselves in consciousness without thought.

 

However, those who are unable to quieten the mind will remain in the state of Samsara.

A state anchored in I, me, my (ego).

While in this state there is no escaping the fruit of ones actions.

 

 

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockyysdt said:

My experience is limited and some of my knowledge results from a level of faith in what was written.

 

Basically, your thoughts are the result of conditioning and genetics.

 

If you were raised from birth by another couple the resultant you would have a completely different set of values, beliefs and habits which would result in different thoughts.

 

You could say the values, beliefs and habits you express were someone elses, but you negotiate life thinking these are yours/you.

 

Most people act on their thoughts, often without thought as to whether their action was appropriate or the best one to take.

Your accumulated values, beliefs and habits are impermanent.

 

Practicing Sitting Meditation eventually yields another state in which there is consciousness without thought.

This can be difficult to achieve as ones thoughts are associated with ones Ego.

Ego thinks this is you and will try anything in its powers to remain in control.

 

With dedicated practice one can achieve long periods of consciousness without thought.

This state, free from thought, is said to be unconditioned and can yield many incites.

 

The real answers to your questions about I, me, my reveal themselves in consciousness without thought.

 

However, those who are unable to quieten the mind will remain in the state of Samsara.

A state anchored in I, me, my (ego).

While in this state there is no escaping the fruit of ones actions.

 

 

Wow this is really true.

 

Really good post.

 

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 11:04 AM, jamesc2000 said:

I am not so sure faith and believe has any part to play in anything in Buddhism.

 

Say I get food poisoning and an ambulance brings me to hospital. Now I don't believe in western medicine but they pump me full of drugs and I get well. If they pump me full of the right drugs I get better regardless of whether I believe in western medicine or not.

 

Surely its the same with karma. I don't believe in karma and I do lots of bad things and if karma is true lots of bad things happen to me. Now if karma is true even if I never heard of karma let alone believe in it bad things are going to happen to me.

 

Same with reincarnation. Reincarnation like karma IF its true whether you believe in it or even heard of it, if it's a fact you will be reborn and maybe many times regardless.

 

However since Buddha said our thoughts create the world and I think in Buddhism there is this concept of we live in delusion or something like that then it is possible the biggest delusion our thoughts create is this concept of time.

 

It maybe possible that the real world not the one we create with our thoughts is always now. Our thoughts create the yesterday, today, tomorrow. If there is no past present and future then the concept of rebirth is moot.

 

The other big delusion I suspect is the concept of space. There is no yesterday I was far away, today I am here and tomorrow I will be going some where else. I suspect we are all stuck in the same place together. I think science says something like this is not only possible but also happened.

 

Before the big bang all the material in the world came together and got squashed into a very small space something like smaller than a pin head and then exploded outwards to create the world.

 

So its possible that our thoughts create time and space and our thoughts create the concept of reincarnation because rebirth needs time and space.

 

So rebirth and even karma for that matter may just be concepts created by our thoughts and our thought may not be true.

 

It maybe possible that our thoughts actually stops us from seeing the real world.

 

😀  

Our thoughts are those of the present personality, and they do indeed hinder us from seeing the real world. However karma and reincarnation are not our deluded imaginings. There have been in the past those such as Buddha that can see things as they really are. Jesus too for that matter when interpreted correctly.

 

Karma and reincarnation are twin concepts, one without the other makes little sense. Of course it also deals with one of the main problems with Christianity etc, that being that we are born once, die and go north or south. Because it doesn't explain why some people of bad character are born into wealth and comfort whilst others with morality into lives of poverty or suffering. We are merely told it is Gods will. Karma/reincarnation resolves this paradox.

 

Karma does not negate free will in any way, it provides circumstance and we are free to react to that as we choose. Circumstance is based on our past actions, ones we don't remember for lengthy reasons.

 

Karma is however far more complex than that, as it is not only based on past actions, but thoughts as well, there is no hiding our true nature. Plus there is also collective karma that applies to nations, if you have been OK to see your countrymen inflict poverty, death or misery on others you are also collectively responsible for that.

 

Our lives are about evolution, we have been doing this for a long long time, there is only one way off the cycle, we need walk the walk, not merely talk the talk.

 

Even in Tibet, Buddhism has many variations from true to essentially dabbling in black magic, seems all beliefs get hijacked for various reasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Our thoughts are those of the present personality, and they do indeed hinder us from seeing the real world. However karma and reincarnation are not our deluded imaginings. There have been in the past those such as Buddha that can see things as they really are. Jesus too for that matter when interpreted correctly.

 

Karma and reincarnation are twin concepts, one without the other makes little sense. Of course it also deals with one of the main problems with Christianity etc, that being that we are born once, die and go north or south. Because it doesn't explain why some people of bad character are born into wealth and comfort whilst others with morality into lives of poverty or suffering. We are merely told it is Gods will. Karma/reincarnation resolves this paradox.

 

Karma does not negate free will in any way, it provides circumstance and we are free to react to that as we choose. Circumstance is based on our past actions, ones we don't remember for lengthy reasons.

 

Karma is however far more complex than that, as it is not only based on past actions, but thoughts as well, there is no hiding our true nature. Plus there is also collective karma that applies to nations, if you have been OK to see your countrymen inflict poverty, death or misery on others you are also collectively responsible for that.

 

Our lives are about evolution, we have been doing this for a long long time, there is only one way off the cycle, we need walk the walk, not merely talk the talk.

 

Even in Tibet, Buddhism has many variations from true to essentially dabbling in black magic, seems all beliefs get hijacked for various reasons.

Hi R.

 

Naturally when you speak of Karma, it's at a theoretical level as those Un Awakened don't have first hand knowledge/experience other than believing through faith in what has been written.

 

There is a subtle but important difference between Reincarnation & Re Birth.

Reincarnation involves the continuation of Me, I We (Ego), where as Re Birth doesn't include that which is impermanent and conditioned.

 

Of course "What is Re Born?", none of us can ever know or comprehend whilst Un Awakened.

 

Regarding free will, although we have it, one can never underestimate the grip of conditioning (habit).

In fact, my observations tell me conditioning is so powerful, this alone most likely contributes to the low success rate of escaping Re Birth through Awakening.

 

Even little things such as attempting to give up coffee, eat healthy, refrain from intoxicants, and regular exercise can be insurmountable. 

And these are on the periphery of diligent practice.

I've been developing the view that conditioning can be overcome through free will but the degree of difficulty, for most of us, is so great, that for many of us, it's almost equivalent to the loss of freewill.

 

Finally, although Re Birth better resolves the illustrated paradox, it creates many other un resolvable issues.

 

For example:

 

If we are impermanent and conditioned, and permanently expire upon death, and there is no soul nor spirit, that what is Re Born and what is Awakened?

 

That which is permanent and unconditioned was never born and therefore can is deathless.

Then Awakening appears to be the meeting of the permanent and unconditioned with the impermanent & conditioned.

What purpose is that, if the permanent and unconditioned will soon die?

 

Then, why are all the realms confined to hell, Earth, and Diva realms? 

What about the multi billion planets and star systems out in the cosmos?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently came across the Acintita Sutta which warns that "the results of kamma" is one of the four incomprehensible subjects that are beyond all conceptualization and cannot be understood with logical thought or reason.

 

Acinteyya (Pali) is a Buddhist term that is commonly translated as imponderable or incomprehensible. There are four issues that should not be thought about, since this distracts from practice, and hinders the attainment of liberation.

 

From the following site: https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/AN/AN4_77.html

 

“There are these four inconceivables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?"
 

“The Buddha-range of the Buddhas [i.e., the range of powers a Buddha develops as a result of becoming a Buddha] is an inconceivable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it."

 

“The jhāna-range of a person in jhāna [i.e, the range of powers that one may obtain while absorbed in jhāna].…"

 

“The [precise working out of the] results of kamma.…"

 

“Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an inconceivable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it."

 

So you've been warned. 😁
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a delightful post.

 

"the results of kamma" is one of the four incomprehensible subjects that are beyond all conceptualization and cannot be understood with logical thought or reason.

 

Lucky for some of us we have never been accused of logical thought or reason.

 

I have been accused of talking nonsense many many times. So if we cannot understand with a logical mind and with reason it might work with an utterly illogical mind and unreason. I have been called unreasonable many times I would very proudly say if I had one of those egos people keep talking about.

 

I have never discussed the range of powers a Buddha develops as a result of becoming a Buddha. Until I read this I never knew there was a range. Not that I have put any thought into this matter but I would have assumed it was all the same had I put any thought to it.

 

Same with the range of powers that one may obtain while absorbed in jhāna. Until I read this I have put any thought into this matter.

 

However I have discussed karma and this might bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it."

 

If we live in a sane world and what everyone is doing is sane then maybe a little bit of madness and doing things differently might not be a bad thing.

 

If we keep going the same way, we might not have a planet left.

 

Discussing karma and listening to people explaining karma to me have never brought vexation which is the state of being annoyed, frustrated and worried. I have always found the opposite. Refreshing and delightful and even liberating.  

 

As for the "you" that have been warned? Not so sure which me its referring to.

 

Me the ego that doesn't exist? The me that is permanent and unconditioned was never born and therefore is deathless or the me that is impermanent & conditioned?

 

I am hoping not to get an answer as "I" don't want to put anyone at risk or going mad or getting annoyed, frustrated and worried.

 

That would only bring bad karma.

 

😁

 

Taking ourselves too seriously, taking what we say too seriously that just expands the ego and big egos are not a good thing.

 

But I would just like to say I heard on the radio today that mediation changes the brain and helps people increase their attention span and hence help focus longer and think better.

 

And people that meditate put emotions down faster. As in something makes you angry and upset and you move onto something else you let go that emotion faster.

 

So I guess you don't carry on being angry or upset when you move onto doing the next thing. 

 

And someone said if everyone spend as much time mediating as much as they do brushing their teeth the world would be a much better place.

 

I really believe this and its like just 3 minutes twice a day for most of us.

 

Although some people never brush their teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...