Meditation into "Afterlife" ?

4jasmin

Hello Community

today I had a serious Talk with a fellow Friend and we were talking about Dreams, while you sleep -

we talked also about Meditation, Imaginations, Beliefs and so on ...

We came to a Point in this Discussion, what made me serious thinking about following :

if you would like to meditate to prepare yourself  for "Afterlife", what kind of "State", "Imagination" or "Energy" you could rely on?

Imagination of "Afterlife" is in no Way to compare with anything in this World and so in Humanity - still just an Imagination

Now the Reason for this Thread - please interpret my Words, as I am not a Nativ English Speaker:

How could one prepare to meditate for an unknown Afterlife ?

One does not construct ones own afterlife through meditation or imagination.

However one does construct ones rebirth by creating karma now.

"If you want to know what you were is your past life, look at what you are now.... if you want to know what you will be in your next life, look at what you do now."

35 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

There is no such thing as karma, it's another religious fairy tale

Speaking with the confidence of no knowledge or wisdom. You will find out one day. The sad thing is that those who refuse to believe in heavens, hells, karma and rebirth will inevitably do things which will lead them to rebirth in the lower realms. The Buddha said that anyone with wrong understanding will also do wrong action and thence create bad karma.

Karma is a natural law which affects all beings in the universe as gravity does, whether you believe in it or not.

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

There is no such thing as karma, it's another religious fairy tale

It depends on your interpretation of its meaning.

Words take on new meanings over time, based on their usage.

Karma is currently used as a noun.

This is my Karma (good luck or bad).

This is my Destiny, I have so much bad Karma (based on accumulation of past deeds).

On the other hand, 2,500 years ago, Karma (a Sanskrit word) was an adjective, a doing word, ones actions, work, or deed.

So basically, our Karma is simply what we do, our actions, work, and deeds.

So when you say "there is no such thing as Karma", based on the Buddhas use of this word, I'm afraid you may be incorrect.

Everyone's Karma is their actions, work, and deeds.

What do religious fairy tales have to do with our actions, work, and deeds?

What the Buddha was saying is that ones actions, work, and deeds, have an influence on ones life?

Further, as most of us repeat actions, work, and deeds (ingrained habits), the influence on our future lives can be predictable in many ways?

4 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

It depends on your interpretation of its meaning.

Words take on new meanings over time, based on their usage.

Karma is currently used as a noun.

This is my Karma (good luck or bad).

This is my Destiny, I have so much bad Karma (based on accumulation of past deeds).

On the other hand, 2,500 years ago, Karma (a Sanskrit word) was an adjective, a doing word, ones actions, work, or deed.

So basically, our Karma is simply what we do, our actions, work, and deeds.

So when you say "there is no such thing as Karma", based on the Buddhas use of this word, I'm afraid you may be incorrect.

Everyone's Karma is their actions, work, and deeds.

What do religious fairy tales have to do with our actions, work, and deeds?

What the Buddha was saying is that ones actions, work, and deeds, have an influence on ones life?

Further, as most of us repeat actions, work, and deeds (ingrained habits), the influence on our future lives can be predictable in many ways?

Sorry I meant to write that Karma was a "Verb" or doing word (not adjective).

These days people use Karma as a noun.

In the Buddhas time, the Sanskrit word "Karma" was a verb.

On 1/1/2018 at 10:54 PM, Orton Rd said:

There is no reaction to anyone's deeds, karma is just a belief for the sheep and there is no proof that it exists

There is always a reaction to anyone's deeds. No-one lives in a vacuum. Everything is connected either directly or indirectly.

The concept of Karma as an invisible and magical spirit which departs the body upon death, and floats around until it enters the womb of some female, whether human or animal, at some stage after the conception of a new life has taken place, certainly cannot be proved scientifically.
This concept could be considered as nothing more than 'magical mumbo jumbo'.

However, what I find rather fascinating is that the modern science of genetics is now beginning to understand that our genes can be modified by our behaviour in this life and that certain traits, resulting from 'bad' behaviour' or 'good behaviour', can be passed on to  a person's offspring through a process described as 'Transgenerational Epigenetic Inheritance'.
Read all about it at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgenerational_epigenetic_inheritance

In other words, this is a type of Karma which is passed on to future generations through genes rather than magical spirits. During the times of the Buddha the existence of genes was not known of course, so the concept of a spirit entering the womb was a satisfactory explanation.

BANGKOK — Believers Monday flocked to Buddhist temples in hopes of being reborn into a new and better life – by lying inside a coffin on New Year day.

Please read more on the link below:-

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/2018/01/02/believers-temples-take-coffins-wish-2018-luck/

Win :smile:

Archived