Government Health Insurance in a Private Hospital

Joosesis

My co-teacher had a pretty serious motorbike accident and was rushed to a Private hospital. Our government school insurance covers government hospitals. However, the Thai teachers are 'looking into' an emergency clause. Presumably there is some amount of coverage as the teacher was not in a capacity to designate to which hospital she was rushed.

Does anyone have experience with this? I imagine the school will have more information soon, but I'd like to calm my friend's nerves a bit if I can.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It sounds like you've got the Thai Social Security which allows you to chose a government hospital, or two, right in the beginning.

The insurance usually pays bills if an accident happens in another province and you've got to see a doctor, or stay in a hospital for whatever reason. ( Usually government hospitals) 

If I were you, I'd ask a Thai teacher to visit the social security office in person and tell them what has happened. I'm sure that they'll handle that from there.

A speedy and fully recovery for your colleague ! 

SS also allows you to chose from several private hospitals for example Sikarin and Camillian Hospital in Bangkok and Rajthanee in Ayutthaya and others in  other locations. You need to do some research when you get the SS Hospital list handed to you from your employer

Thanks for the help. My question was to ask what happens when you go to a hospital for which you didn't designate. As of now, it looks like my colleague is paying most of the bill. ...but teachers at our school think a small portion will be covered since the patient was incapacitated and couldn't tell first responders of her designation.

Luckily, the teacher will eventually make a full recovery. ...and in light of that, bills seem a minor worry.

1 minute ago, Joosesis said:

Thanks for the help. My question was to ask what happens when you go to a hospital for which you didn't designate. As of now, it looks like my colleague is paying most of the bill. ...but teachers at our school think a small portion will be covered since the patient was incapacitated and couldn't tell first responders of her designation.

Luckily, the teacher will eventually make a full recovery. ...and in light of that, bills seem a minor worry.

The best place to find an answer is still the SS office in your province. They're usually pretty cool and they might use the daily fee of the government hospital plus used meds, and operations.

No matter how long your friend will be hospitalised, it would make sense to think about a change of location and get in touch with the government hospital ASAP. 

On 12/31/2017 at 1:55 PM, Joosesis said:

The hospital normally contacts the SS and then they determine who will pay for what

In emergencies the SS can pay the full the bill, there is a text on the internet or in hardcopy at HR department that will inform you about this

So 'going to' a hospital for which you didn't designate means you could get nothing, it has to be an emergency

The hospital normally contacts the SS and then they determine who will pay for what
In emergencies the SS can pay the full the bill, there is a text on the internet or in hardcopy at HR department that will inform you about this

So 'going to' a hospital for which you didn't designate means you could get nothing, it has to be an emergency
Thanks! I will share with my friend.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, jumbo said:

Totally wrong, please refer to Paras 16 and 17 which explain clearly and correctly what will happen to the OP's friend.

Thai SSO Fund Info.pdf

18 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Totally wrong, please refer to Paras 16 and 17 which explain clearly and correctly what will happen to the OP's friend.

Thai SSO Fund Info.pdf

I think it states what I have mentioned...??

Plus the word 'normally' is what happened in the cases in our company that I have witnessed

The hospital (government)  contacts the SS and discusses what will be paid by SS and what the patient himself will have to pay

• 2 weeks later...
How's your friend doing? A speedy recovery and hopefully no surprise in for of a horrendous bill. 
Thanks for asking! Still healing, but out of the hospital. Won't be back to teach until February. The school says she has exhausted her contracted sick days and are requesting her to come in to clock in....but she's not able to do that yet.

As far as I know, she is paying most of the private hospital bill, but they are being flexible with her for now. She had a meeting with the school this werk to talk details, but I didn't hear the outcome. I did forward to her all the info on this thread. I appreciate everyone's input!!

7 minutes ago, Joosesis said:

Thanks for asking! Still healing, but out of the hospital. Won't be back to teach until February. The school says she has exhausted her contracted sick days and are requesting her to come in to clock in....but she's not able to do that yet.

As far as I know, she is paying most of the private hospital bill, but they are being flexible with her for now. She had a meeting with the school this werk to talk details, but I didn't hear the outcome. I did forward to her all the info on this thread. I appreciate everyone's input!!

I was in a similar situation many years ago, when a speeding kathoey in a Pick up did a red light and hit me driving my pick up on my way to school. I had been sick for six weeks and I found out that one of my colleagues was trying to get his best mate in. 

Then you really know who your friends are. 

Fortunately, if your friend hasn't caused the accident they can't kick her out. Would it have been her own fault, they could. Regards from an unknown guy to your friend and thanks that you're doing so much for a colleague. 

I was in a similar situation many years ago, when a speeding kathoey in a Pick up did a red light and hit me driving my pick up on my way to school. I had been sick for six weeks and I found out that one of my colleagues was trying to get his best mate in. 

Then you really know who your friends are. 

Fortunately, if your friend hasn't caused the accident they can't kick her out. Would it have been her own fault, they could. Regards from an unknown guy to your friend and thanks that you're doing so much for a colleague. 
Sorry to hear about your accident. I have heard so many similar stories recently. I guess it's time for me to get that motorbike helmet. I don't drive, just ride on the back. In had resisted getting a helmet because I didn't want to be the one weirdo on the back with a helmet. ....but these accidents are all too common.

21 hours ago, Joosesis said:

Sorry to hear about your accident. I have heard so many similar stories recently. I guess it's time for me to get that motorbike helmet. I don't drive, just ride on the back. In had resisted getting a helmet because I didn't want to be the one weirdo on the back with a helmet. ....but these accidents are all too common.

Thanks, the accident is already water under the bridge. If I were you, I'd not have a problem what others might think when you're the only one who's wearing a helmet. I've seen accidents where young people have died because they didn't wear a helmet. An accident with 30 km/h can be enough when you hit the road with your head. 

Archived