Seven deadly days - seven vehicle collision - darkness and wet conditions blamed

webfact

Seven deadly days - seven vehicle collision - darkness and wet conditions blamed

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

What the Thai media has billed as the "seven deadly days" for New Year accidents got off to an inauspicious start this morning.

Seven vehicles collided on the Pahonyothin Road outbound from Bangkok in Saraburi.

A video of the aftermath was posted to Youtube as Por Teck Tung foundation staff and Wang Noi police sifted through the wreckage at 5.30 am this morning.

77.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Fortunately there was only one injury.

Darkness and slippery conditions were blamed.

Por Teck Tung told the media that motorists should be especially careful on the road between kilometer markers 52 and 80 because of the conditions.

There had already been many accidents in this stretch that is in the jurisdiction of Wang Noi cops, said Daily News.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-28

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they never ever take responsibility for their actions, so the same lame excuse it was DARK, and WET ROAD, nothing to do with i suppose driving like kin idiots and tailgating, same when a murder happens,sorry i was DRUNK or on DRUGS.. lucky no serious injuries , i wait for today,  let the carnage begin,

With the prevalence of super dark window tinting, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.  (Edit:  Or maybe it does, and that's one of the reasons for Thailand's dismal traffic safety stats)  Especially with older farts like myself whose night vision doesn't improve with age anyway.  But the degradation is so gradual, most of us don't realize it's happening.

I'm seriously considering taking a razor scraper to cut strategic sections of the window tint to see my rearview mirrors, to the left and right, and the road ahead of me.  But I drive so seldom, and almost never after dark.  And I can just hear the ridicule of the guys who see those patches cut out of the film...

There had already been many accidents in this stretch that is in the jurisdiction of Wang Noi cops

Which means that darkness and slippery conditions are not to blame.  It means that there is a history that this is a dangerous road condition, heavy traffic at times, and drivers who are inattentive, drunk and driving with excessive speed for the highway conditions.  Years ago, traffic engineers should have been tasked with analyzing the past traffic accident history and coming up with solutions to reduce accidents and fatalities.  This is exactly why Thailand has the world's highest fatality rate on its roadways.

4 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

Which means that darkness and slippery conditions are not to blame.  It means that there is a history that this is a dangerous road condition, heavy traffic at times, and drivers who are inattentive, drunk and driving with excessive speed for the highway conditions.  Years ago, traffic engineers should have been tasked with analyzing the past traffic accident history and coming up with solutions to reduce accidents and fatalities.  This is exactly why Thailand has the world's highest fatality rate on its roadways.

If the cops aren't going to enforce the rules against speeding, weaving, tailgating, drunk driving, burnt out lights, and other crazy driving habits, the best engineering in the world isn't going to solve the problem.  Unless it's speed bumps every 50 meters, and who wants that?

12 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:
14 minutes ago, impulse said:

Unless it's speed bumps every 50 meters, and who wants that?

the relatives of the deceased

But only after the damage has been done.  If you asked them a week ago, they'd have been against speed bumps.

3 hours ago, poohy said:

Naughty "darkness and wetness":coffee1:

It would be funny if its not so sad that they are using it as an excuse

Whatever you do don't blame the obvious speeding and playing facebook on the phone and faulty rear brake lights for the car in front .Anyhow in future the chicken soup will solve all these issues!!???? ........dumnuts!

3 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm seriously considering taking a razor scraper to cut strategic sections of the window tint to see my rearview mirrors, to the left and right, and the road ahead of me.  But I drive so seldom, and almost never after dark.  And I can just hear the ridicule of the guys who see those patches cut out of the film...

Patches cut out of the film? . . . you're kidding!

20 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Patches cut out of the film? . . . you're kidding!

That reaction is exactly why I haven't done it yet.  I have the same thought, and once I start scraping, I'm committed.

The purpose of the film (in theory) is to reduce the amount of IR and UV so the interior stays cooler and the plastic doesn't get sunburnt.  I can cut away about 10-15% of the film that's darkening my view of the rear view mirrors, and the tiny parts of the windshield and side glass that I actually look through.  That will let in only a little more IR and UV, yet still improve my night vision.

Now, I'm waiting for the guys who are going to tell me why it won't work...  ("It will look stupid" doesn't count.  I already know that- but it's a 20+ year old pickup, so I don't have much further down that ladder to go.)

3 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

its the history of all thai roads. 

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

That reaction is exactly why I haven't done it yet.  I have the same thought, and once I start scraping, I'm committed.

The purpose of the film (in theory) is to reduce the amount of IR and UV so the interior stays cooler and the plastic doesn't get sunburnt.  I can cut away about 10-15% of the film that's darkening my view of the rear view mirrors, and the tiny parts of the windshield and side glass that I actually look through.  That will let in only a little more IR and UV, yet still improve my night vision.

Now, I'm waiting for the guys who are going to tell me why it won't work...  ("It will look stupid" doesn't count.  I already know that- but it's a 20+ year old pickup, so I don't have much further down that ladder to go.)

Ah!, so is it only on older vehicles that the dark tint is an applied film? I'll go and check, now, on my new-ish Fiesta but I'll be using a dull razor in case it's IRUVfilms all round.

12 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Ah!, so is it only on older vehicles that the dark tint is an applied film? I'll go and check, now, on my new-ish Fiesta but I'll be using a dull razor in case it's IRUVfilms all round.

Oh no.  The dark film isn't specific to old vehicles.  They put it on brand new ones, too.  I don't think any manufacturers put out glass that dark. But I'm not sure...

Driving a 20+ year old pickup desensitizes me to how stupid it looks.  If I had a brandy new one, I'd care more about how it looks.  As it is, I have Point A to Point B transportation, not a fashion statement.  But when I bought it, I hadn't a clue how long my Thailand adventure would last.  So I wanted something that wasn't going to depreciate, and it hasn't.  In retrospect, I would have gone for an automatic transmission had I known the percentage of drive time I'd be standing still in BKK traffic, though.  Live and learn...

'... the "seven deadly days" for New Year accidents got off to an inauspicious start ...' Auspicious, surely? The Thais get to hang onto number one for road carnage.

'Darkness and slippery conditions were blamed.' What absolute b______ks! If they really believe that to be the cause, there's hope yet that LoS will long hang onto number one.

'... motorists should be especially careful ...' Aren't they always?

4 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

the relatives of the deceased

but... there must be hundreds of thousands of relatives of deceased from road traffic accidents and yet there is no public outcry, there is no organisation promoting road safety, lobbying the government, the behaviour of people and lack of action by those on the road and the public at large shows the population at large really doesn't care about the carnage. bizarre i know, but where is the evidence they do care?

Thai drivers never learn the concept of defensive driving.

May death greet them until that simple technique is learned. 

Sorry about perceived "Face" but they deserve what they get.  (motos and cars)

Same holds true for falangs.

Archived