30 day convert to one year

This might sound like a stupid question, but can a 30 day visa on arrival be converted to a one year non immi O at Jomtien? The reason I ask is I've heard of this being done in the past. I know the normal procedure is you get the one year non o outside Thailand and then get an extension of stay once that runs out; just trying to avoid the trip to an embassy overseas. And if not; is Singapore issuing one year visas again or not? I won't be in Thailand when my current extension of stay runs out. Thanks in advance for any non-sarcastic, informative answers.

Since there is not 30 day visa on arrival I assume you mean a 30 day visa exempt entry.

It is possible to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration in Jomtien if you can qualify for certain extension of stay. You would need at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it to apply.

On what basis would you be applying for the extension?

Singapore does not issue one year visas as far as I know. If you are from Singapore or a legal resident you might be able to apply a OA long stay visa there based upon being 50 or over.

Correct ubonjoe; a 30 day visa exempt. I'll be applying on retirement basis (over 50). I've done the one year extension of stay many times but I've always been in country when it expired; this time not so lucky. In the past I've gone to KL to get the one year but obviously they stopped issuing it a few years back. 

The only nearby location that will issue a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 or over is Penang and you must show financial proof to get it.

You can apply for the non immigrant visa at Jomtien but they can make it difficult. If you have 800k baht in the bank for more than 60 days (not needed at other offices) you would not have a problem. If using the 65k baht income option you would have to have the consular officers signature on your income letter certified at the Department of Consular affairs in Bangkok.

23 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Correct ubonjoe; a 30 day visa exempt. I'll be applying on retirement basis (over 50). I've done the one year extension of stay many times but I've always been in country when it expired; this time not so lucky. In the past I've gone to KL to get the one year but obviously they stopped issuing it a few years back. 

Expect this experience at Jomtien getting a Non-O entry (somewhat similar to my own experience):

So, you can either go to a nearby consulate for the initial Non-O (Savanakhet is a good choice), or pay an agent to get it processed at Jomtien (reported at 25K Baht - over 10x the 2000 Baht actual cost), who will use your money reward the very same people who basically tell you to go (fill in expletives here), if you try to do things the honest way. 

Your choice.

After you have your initial Non-O, you should have no problems getting 1-year extensions based on retirement at Jomtien.  The retirement desk has oodles of agent-tea-money from applicants who can't meet the financials, so they don't need to block legit applications, to force agent-use, as do some of the other desks.

Edited by JackThompson