Alcohol withdrawal in progress in Bangkok

soistalker

My friend (50, overweight, but healthy) up in Bangkok said that he quit drinking, with last Friday being his last drink. He says that he had been drinking a twelve pack of beer every day for 16 months (except for a two week period in spring when he had an unrelated medical issue and was taking medicine and couldn't drink. At that time, he said that he had no withdrawal symptoms). 

Now he is almost three days sober. He woke up this morning (Monday) with a fever of 101.2F/ 38.4C.  He said he has started taking Tylenol, which works sometimes to reduce the fever,   His temperature has mostly been constant except for brief periods after taking  the Tylenol. Other than the fever, body aches, a cloudy head, diarrhea, needing to drink water often, and a little upset stomach, he hasn't had the shakes or racing heart or abnormal heart rate, or any other serious side effects.

But he is scared that it will get worse tonight. He hates the idea of being hospitalized, but if he has to go in, he wants to go to Bumrungrad, as he goes there for regular stuff.

I don't know how to help him. He says it feels like the flu, but he had a flu vaccination, and the timing off his illness leads him to believe it is alcohol withdrawal.  

If anybody can give advice on what he should do if he gets worse or any advice, like just staying at home and getting through it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

IMO, he ought to see a Dr. right now, get a physical, and let them know what he's up to.  They've seen it plenty of times, can tell him what to expect, and if he runs into trouble and needs their help, they have recent background on him. 

He'll feel better in time, and simply cutting out the beer intake will shed some weight too.  

The reality is that he is likely through the worst part of the physical withdrawal process by now and I would suspect he's unlikely to go into delirium at this point...  he would have experienced the DTs and things that can kill in the first 24 - 36 hours of his last drink. However I am simply a sober drunk, and while I've been in your mate's situation thousands of times I am not a medic of any description. The sort of symptoms you describe are what most people will  experience after a piss up and there'll be plenty in that position right now. Detox beds in hospitals might be in great demand right now! I'd simply watch him over the next 24 hours and if his condition gives any further cause for concern to head to the hospital. If he does go to hospital advise him to be completely frank about what he's doing so he can get the right kind of help. More pertinently you might engage your mate in some consideration of how he intends to maintain this sobriety in the long term - there are various options. I think it helps most people in this position to go to a supportive environment where he might get some positive affirmation that he has done the right thing and has already really achieved something in his journey.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2018 at 12:35 PM, Neeranam said:

3 days sober, the worst is over, if he is an alcoholic. Done it many times with the help of valium.

If it gets worse now, it's not related to the alcohol.

Valium.makes things better in the short term but it's harder to kick than the alcohol in the long term

If your using it as substitute, be careful not to use it too long or too often

I didn't think I was addicted  to valium but I went on holiday without them and ended up having a seizure from valium withdrawl of all things :) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/01/2018 at 4:38 PM, speedtripler said:

Valium.makes things better in the short term but it's harder to kick than the alcohol in the long term

If your using it as substitute, be careful not to use it too long or too often

I didn't think I was addicted  to valium but I went on holiday without them and ended up having a seizure from valium withdrawl of all things :) 

That's for sure, I ended up being addicted to diazepam 200 mg a day and took a long, painful taper to come of them, when I quit the booze, cutting 20% a month, approx.

• 1 month later...
On 02/01/2018 at 3:35 PM, Neeranam said:

3 days sober, the worst is over, if he is an alcoholic. Done it many times with the help of valium.

If it gets worse now, it's not related to the alcohol.

How many is many?

39 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Nothing I guess. Just a heavy drinker that can take it or leave it.

Well by the sound of things he can neither take it nor leave it. After being a heavy drinker for a long spell suddenly cutting it dead is realistically going to prompt a response from the body, the vital organs and the "system" whatever exactly that is. I hope that the problem was this bodily response and nothing worse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 7:37 PM, rascalman said:

So many here drinking themselves into the grave, why DC moo they want to be sick, broke and die? Ignorance?

It's a disease, some people just can't get sober no matter how hard they try....many of them die unfortunately

Thailand is the ideal place to drink yourself to death if you don't seek help.

• 3 months later...

Absolutely he should see a doctor! After many months of daily drinking he could be suffering from the many health problems that are related to alcohol abuse. Liver problems, high blood pressure etc..

I have been sober in AA for 25 years and heard about and known many people who have had all kinds alcohol abuse related health issues. He could die if he has problems and they are not addressed promptly. He should go to one of the Bangkok hospitals and tell the Doctor he has been a daily drinker for months and just come off it. Let the doctors do a full work up. Blood tests, physical, vital stats etc.. WHY NOT???

Archived