alternatives to ritalin?

P4K

Hey so I've been getting prescribed ritalin for the past year here in thailand to help with my adhd and though it does help me focus better and increases my attention spam I always have to suffer the anxiety-like effects of it which are pretty uncomfortable (though manageable), I know adderall isn't approved for use here but I'm wondering if there are any alternatives my doctor can prescribe to me?

thanks for the replies 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Strattera (atomoxetine)  is available here and might be worth asking your doctor about. It has a different mode of action than Ritalin and is not a stimulent as such so less likely to cause anxiety.

is strattera offered in a generic version or cheaper version? I looked into it and seems pretty expensive compared to ritalin

1 hour ago, P4K said:

thanks for the replies 

is strattera offered in a generic version or cheaper version? I looked into it and seems pretty expensive compared to ritalin

With only name brand Ritalin available in Thailand, the differential between the 2 probably isn't anywhere near what it is back home where generic methylphenidate can cost $0.20 per 20 mg tablet.  In Thailand, I'm paying 11,000 Baht for 360 of the 10 mg Ritalin, at a hospital pharmacy since that's the only place I can find it.  So it's almost $1 per 10mg tablet here vs $0.20 per 20mg tablet back in the USA.  That's 10x as expensive per mg.  Fortunately, insurance covers it. 

To be fair, I've never bought Strattera in Thailand, so I can't say for sure what the differential would be.

Edit:  Another option that's available back home but I haven't found them in Thailand is sustained release methylphenidate.  Only slightly more expensive than the fast acting stuff.  If you can find it at all.

On 02/01/2018 at 4:44 PM, impulse said:

With only name brand Ritalin available in Thailand, the differential between the 2 probably isn't anywhere near what it is back home where generic methylphenidate can cost $0.20 per 20 mg tablet.  In Thailand, I'm paying 11,000 Baht for 360 of the 10 mg Ritalin, at a hospital pharmacy since that's the only place I can find it.  So it's almost $1 per 10mg tablet here vs $0.20 per 20mg tablet back in the USA.  That's 10x as expensive per mg.  Fortunately, insurance covers it. 

To be fair, I've never bought Strattera in Thailand, so I can't say for sure what the differential would be.

Edit:  Another option that's available back home but I haven't found them in Thailand is sustained release methylphenidate.  Only slightly more expensive than the fast acting stuff.  If you can find it at all.

There is generic called "MADALIN" 10mg  and original  ritalin from Novartis available in some pharmacys but it is still comparatively expensive to USA 

Better to go to a hospital pharmacy and get it with a prescription if insurance is paying anyway.... 

• 8 months later...

I don't live in Thailand, but I go often, and because the country where I live some years already (Philippines) have bad medicine and lack of options, I usually go to Samitivej to see the my actual Psychiatrist.

Recently I discovered that I have ADHD and started to take Concerta (Ritalin extended release), the ONLY option available in Philippines. It cost 320 USD per 60 pills with 36 MG (I take 2 per day).

It doesn't make completely effect, but it helps in some ways.

I read a lot and spoke with my ex, that is a doctor and one of the options is Vyvanse.

I spoke with my doctor 2 weeks ago, when I went to Bangkok and they stopped to sell this medicine in Thailand (anyone can confirm)? So, the option was the Strattera...

Because I have depression also (or it's just ADHD fault, I have no idea) and often I don't have the energy to go out of bed, I bought 2 months of supply, at the cost of 470 USD.

I only could take 2 pills. I feel hot and cold simultaneously, shiver, and a feeling of something bad was happening, a very strong feeling of sadness.

I was going to extend my travel but the only thing that I was thinking was to go back to my home and things would be better. In the airport, crying... It was something really crazy.

Well, now I am trying to bring Vyvanse from Brazil (my home country) by a friend (it's the only other option available there, beside the Concerta).

Now I ask to myself: that's all, there is no other option in Thailand? Vyvanse is not sold anymore? Any reason or it's like the opioid thing that asian countries have, specially Thailand, to sell?

Next step, go to US for consultation and medicines, I guess.

Vyvanse is indeed not sold in Thailand and all drugs of its type (amphetamines) are completely illegal here. Even if you have a prescription and bought it elsewhere, you cannot bring it into Thailand and could get in serious trouble if found to have it. I suspect but don't know, that same would be true in the Philippines.

Asking a friend to bring this drug to you unprescribed could put them as well as you in serious trouble.

If you are still in Thailand I suggest you go back to your psychiatrist immediately and tell him/her what happened on the Strattera.

If it is in unopened blister packs and you still have the hospital receipt you might be able to return the unopened strips for refund, ask about that.

Even if you find it somewhere I strongly advise against taking Vyvanse on your own. Get proper medical guidance. There are a wide range of drugs that can be used for depression. Your diagnosis of ADHD would merit a review as well. Might actually have been medication side effects.

If you have health insurance in the US then going there is a good idea. Otherwise maybe a trip back to Brazil? You need a very thorough psych evaluation.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived