Third Army Region ready to deal with northern smog situation

webfact

Third Army Region ready to deal with northern smog situation

BANGKOK, 3rd January 2018 (NNT) – The Third Army Region is standing ready to deal with the smog situation in the northern region. 

Third Army Region commander Lt. Gen. Vichak Siribansop said on Tuesday that a command center to deal with the smog situation has just been set up in Chiang Mai Province as part of measures to deal with the persistent problem. 

Lt. Gen. Vichak said that officers from the Third Corps will be coordinating the operation, which is already planned to incorporate forces from the neighboring countries, Myanmar, Laos and Chiang Rai, in a special campaign against wild fire and smog at the end of January. 

?He stated that the army is determined to lower the number of incidents by 60 percent after having reduced them by 40 percent in 2017. 

Lt. Gen. Vichak went on to say that success in solving this problem genuinely requires cooperation from locals in affected areas and Thailand’s neighbors because 99 percent of the cases were caused by humans in the region.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-01-03

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

Gen. Vichak went on to say that success in solving this problem genuinely requires cooperation from locals in affected areas and Thailand’s neighbors because 99 percent of the cases were caused by humans in the region.

good luck with that!

Some confusion between smog and haze.

Haze from fires, at least in Chiang Mai, was considerably less in 2017 than in previous years, so I would assume that something is indeed being improved. Let's hope they carry on in 2018.

Pollution from traffic however (which for me comes closer to "smog") is on the increase, year round. I don't see what the army can do about it, it should be the job of the city council.

41 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Haze from fires, at least in Chiang Mai, was considerably less in 2017 than in previous years, so I would assume that something is indeed being improved. Let's hope they carry on in 2018.

Pollution from traffic however (which for me comes closer to "smog") is on the increase, year round. I don't see what the army can do about it, it should be the job of the city council.

2017 was definitely an improvement over 2016 in terms of smoke/haze in the Chiang Mai area.

Until traffic police start issuing fines or ordering vehicles which are belching smoke off the road, I can't see any improvement in CM smog any time soon.

"lower the number of incidents by 60 percent after having reduced them by 40 percent "

So that must mean there will be NO burning, maybe they should bring in the same fines

you get if caught smoking a cigarette on a beach down South,what is it 100,000 THB ! 

Every year they spout the same message,we are going to stop it,and they fail miserably,

and we all have to suffer.

regards worgeordie

10 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I think haze last year was reduced because 2016 had a brutal drought, resulting in less plant life to burn.  This year could see a significant increase.  I'm making plans to be somewhere else starting around April.

Archived