Swiming pool? Stung by stingray - no more going in the sea for me

reflectionx

I just had terrifying expereinne which was attributed to stepping on a stingray (on Klong Mueng, close to Sofitel). The folks at Krabi inrernational took good care, so it appears to recover well.

anyway, defnitely not brave at this point to go back in the sea, so I was wondering if there are any swimming pools in Klomg Mueang/AoNang where we can pay to use it during the day?

thanks

27 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

Have you ever been in an automobile accident? Did you stop riding on highways?

I don't know about the OP; myself, I've never been in one. But, since I know easy I could get in a horrible accident, I would certainly avoid driving if it was as easy as going to a swimming pool instead of the beach. Also, if I drove just for my own "entertainment" - as opposed to getting to places efficiently - I would probably quit driving altogether, or, at the very least, drive very rarely...

44 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

Have you ever been in an automobile accident? Did you stop riding on highways?

Usually we MUST drive to go from A to B.

But nobody NEEDS to swim in the sea.

I totally agree with the OP except that I didn't wait any accident to take this smart decision.

There is no attributing to a stingray....... You would have known instantly.  The pain and felt the fish move away quickly...... Your foot would have turned black in minutes. 

Very very painful. Excruciatingly painful. 

It could of course have been something else. 

I stepped on a sting ray in Bang Sarae Beach a few years back, it got me on the ankle  -  Pain was immediate, and it swelled up - iced it down but the pain wouldn't go away, finally went to the Hospital, couple shots, more ice and antibiotics.  They said lucky for me it was a small one, It Hurt like Hell!!!   I can't imagine what a big one would feel like.  I wear water dogs (hard rubber pull on shoes)in the water now, but in reality, if you don't step directly on the spike, they will get you higher up so the shoes are only a warm fuzzy feeling for me. Also protects from cuts by broken beer bottles, I really don't care if I look like a geek going in them on.

Different types of rays hurt more than others.  Size of the animal makes no difference as to how toxic the venom is.  Good example is scorpions - the brown small ones here hurt a lot more than the big black ones.  If OP didn't see it then it might just have easily been some other venomous creature like a stonefish (most venomous fish in the world and common in Thai waters).

I always like to see where I am stepping or swimming in the sea.  If I can't see then I'm less inclined to swim.  Swimming on a sandy beach with surf is less safe than snorkeling with a mask in clear water, for example.

38 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

if you don't step directly on the spike, they will get you higher up

A ray wouldn't sting you on the leg.  They always stay flat to the sand and they don't attack, they always flee.  The only way it might be possible is if you were dragging your leg along the seabed, i.e. maybe the water is very shallow, or maybe during a dive where you are swimming horizontally.

37 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Different types of rays hurt more than others.  Size of the animal makes no difference as to how toxic the venom is.  Good example is scorpions - the brown small ones here hurt a lot more than the big black ones.  If OP didn't see it then it might just have easily been some other venomous creature like a stonefish (most venomous fish in the world and common in Thai waters).

I always like to see where I am stepping or swimming in the sea.  If I can't see then I'm less inclined to swim.  Swimming on a sandy beach with surf is less safe than snorkeling with a mask in clear water, for example.

Stonefish, he would likely be dead.  National Geographic

Can a stone fish kill you?
The stone fish is the most poisonous fish in the sea and one of the most dangerous in the world. It can easily kill you if you step on it, injecting its venom deep inside your foot. If not treated promptly, the poison will kill you.Jun 26, 2014

But the poster did say the Int'l Hospital took care of him.  BTW dragging your feet along the sand is a good way to scare them away before they sink their spike in you.  I stepped right on him, tail came up and stuck me in the ankle.

You haven't got that quote from National Geographic, you've got it from here and then written National Geographic, presumably to try and make it look more credible:

You can tell NG haven't written it even without backsearching the text on Google, because they would know the difference between poisonous and venomous.

He wouldn't likely be dead, he'd be very unlikely to die and even then only if he was left untreated, which he wasn't.  Anyway there are lots of other fish with venomous spines that bury themselves in the sand.

Dragging your feet along the sand seems like the worst advice possible.

There is an Australian site talking about the dangers of box jellyfish.  It advocates only entering the sea while wearing protection of some sort.  

I have seen sting rays and stone fish metres away from where people are playing in the sea, I am surprised more accidents don't happen.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for resurecting this from the death, but I wanted to share my experience as it might help someone in the future.

The very first thing to do if you get stung by stingray is to start pouring hot water on your foot. Careful not to burn your skin as you won't be feeling the heat from the pain, so first try on your hand for example to make sure it wont burn your skin. Apprently the heat breaks the stingray venom (some sort of protein).

I was given a bag of ice to put on and I almost fainted from the pain by the time I got to the hospital. It was about an hour from the incident til the time they put my foot in hot water, so I think this contributed to the complications I am still dealing with (yup, 3 weeks after).

At the ER they cut the area and cleaned the wound (1.5cm deep) from the barb pieces. Apparrently they did not do it very well as a week later my foot got very itchy and swollen again. The infection was back even if I did everyday wound cleaning and dressing and never got it wet. They deep cleaned it again, and a small piece of the barb resurfaced, plus they did Xray (which they are supposed to the first time, but they didnt). 

Anyhow, 17 days after the incident there was almost no infection left, so the surgeon cut what was left from the infection inside and stiched it up. He checked it again today and had to cut one of the stiches as there was some water (like mini infection under the surface), so he wanted to let it drain out. I am heading back home tomorrow and am supposed to follow up for more cleaning and stiches removal in a week. 

I never imagined that the recovery would be that hard, pretty much spent my entire vacation at the hospital, went through 3 rounds of antibiotics and still cannot recover fully.

20180103_124824.jpg

20180112_094347.jpg

On 03/01/2018 at 11:08 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

I stepped on a sting ray in Bang Sarae Beach a few years back, it got me on the ankle  -  Pain was immediate, and it swelled up - iced it down but the pain wouldn't go away, finally went to the Hospital, couple shots, more ice and antibiotics.  They said lucky for me it was a small one, It Hurt like Hell!!!   I can't imagine what a big one would feel like.  I wear water dogs (hard rubber pull on shoes)in the water now, but in reality, if you don't step directly on the spike, they will get you higher up so the shoes are only a warm fuzzy feeling for me. Also protects from cuts by broken beer bottles, I really don't care if I look like a geek going in them on.

Actually while stuck in the hospital I read a lot about it, and rubber shoes in most cases will NOT protect you from he barb, as it can easily pinch through. In fact, it can make things worse as there are some special bacteria in the rubber, so it would be even more difficult to heal.

sorry for resurecting this from the death, but I wanted to share my experience as it might help someone in the future.

The very first thing to do if you get stung by stingray is to start pouring hot water on your foot. Careful not to burn your skin as you won't be feeling the heat from the pain, so first try on your hand for example to make sure it wont burn your skin. Apprently the heat breaks the stingray venom (some sort of protein).

I was given a bag of ice to put on and I almost fainted from the pain by the time I got to the hospital. It was about an hour from the incident til the time they put my foot in hot water, so I think this contributed to the complications I am still dealing with (yup, 3 weeks after).

At the ER they cut the area and cleaned the wound (1.5cm deep) from the barb pieces. Apparrently they did not do it very well as a week later my foot got very itchy and swollen again. The infection was back even if I did everyday wound cleaning and dressing and never got it wet. They deep cleaned it again, and a small piece of the barb resurfaced, plus they did Xray (which they are supposed to the first time, but they didnt). 

Anyhow, 17 days after the incident there was almost no infection left, so the surgeon cut what was left from the infection inside and stiched it up. He checked it again today and had to cut one of the stiches as there was some water (like mini infection under the surface), so he wanted to let it drain out. I am heading back home tomorrow and am supposed to follow up for more cleaning and stiches removal in a week. 

I never imagined that the recovery would be that hard, pretty much spent my entire vacation at the hospital, went through 3 rounds of antibiotics and still cannot recover fully.
20180103_124824.thumb.jpg.cd29798d4282898f45925d8cc498547e.jpg
20180112_094347.thumb.jpg.a83310b51bc7e3a700d427be51bb3597.jpg
thanks for sharing! have a speedy recovery, mate :)

Archived