No meter or taxi driver refuses fare? Call "Big Joke" on 1155 and he'll get it sorted

webfact

No meter or taxi driver refuses fare? Call "Big Joke" on 1155 and he'll get it sorted

4pm.jpg

Picture: INN

Tourist police bigwig Surachet Hakpal has implored the public to call the hotline if taxi drivers refuse fares or won't turn on the meter.

All you have to do is call 1155 with the details and the police and Department of Land Transport will throw the book at drivers.

Surachet - the deputy tourism commissioner known in the Thai media as Big Joke - was touring Don Meuang airport yesterday on an inspection visit as tourists and Thais flooded back and into the capital after the holidays.

833019-03.jpg

Picture: INN

Along with a trusty sniffer dog - who was unnamed - Surachet assured the public of safety with police, military and airport authorities working together at airports in Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen as well as Don Meuang and Suvanabhumi.

The dog was there to sniff out explosives but Surachet told Independent News Network that another of his targets was rogue taxi drivers.

He spoke to some telling them to obey the law and be good guys - if they didn't turn on the meter or refused fares he would come down hard on them and remove their licences.

Surachet has been the most high profile figure from the tourist police in recent weeks.

Source: INN

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-03

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

should go to Platinum and stand at the taxi rank because the taxi drivers pick and choose who they take ..if your destination is too close they say no and if it is too far they say their shift is about to end or they need fuel ..but nothing will change ...same old Bangkok 

48 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

Plenty of drivers who do the right thing, 

so many hand in wallets, purses bags laptops, 

the public can also be Ars_ _ _ _ _ 

I drove a Taxi for almost 6 years back in the 70's while putting myself through school.

Easily the lousiest, most thankless and dangerous job I ever had: robbed at knife-point once (Christmas night) and gun-point twice, the 2nd time being my last shift ever...I'd had enough.

There are over 100,000 licensed taxi drivers in Bangkok and 99%of them are decent guys just trying to make a living.  In my 14 years living in Bangkok and taking taxis frequently, I can count the number of unpleasant incidents I've had on one hand. I once had a driver turn around and come back to my hotel and return a wallet I'd left on the seat with a substantial amount of money in it.  He did not want to accept a reward.

I wish I had had this number about a month ago when I was in Bangkok at the US Embassy. I had to go through four taxis out front before I found one that would take me to Mochit Bus Station on the meter. The first three wanted from THB400 to THB300. :sad: I knew the meter fare should be around THB150. When I finally got a driver who would take me on the meter, after we arrived I gave him THB300 anyway and told him I appreciated him not trying to "kee-gung" a Farang. :smile:

Call Big Joke? Obviously they aren't serious. 

"I'd like to report a taxi driver! He wouldn't turn on his meter!"

"What did he look like?"

"Well, he was about 50 years old, short hair... wearing a blue t-shirt. I think he had a big gold wedding ring on his ring finger..."

"Ok, sir we'll notify our department at next month's meeting. We'll ask the officers to look for a taxi driver with a blue t-shirt and a gold ring while on duty. And when we catch him will slap him with a big 10,000 baht fine! How's all that sound!"

"Thank you! Thank you, so much! Now I can sleep at night knowing my case will eventually be settled!"

Really tho, is it so hard to just hail another taxi if the one just waved down doesn't want to go where you want to go, or doesn't want to use the meter? 

This is just needless harassment and intimidation of the drivers. 

34 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

"What did he look like?"

"Well, he was about 50 years old, short hair... wearing a blue t-shirt. I think he had a big gold wedding ring on his ring finger..."

"Ok, sir we'll notify our department at next month's meeting. We'll ask the officers to look for a taxi driver with a blue t-shirt and a gold ring while on duty. And when we catch him will slap him with a big 10,000 baht fine! How's all that sound!"

"Thank you! Thank you, so much! Now I can sleep at night knowing my case will eventually be settled!"

Really tho, is it so hard to just hail another taxi if the one just waved down doesn't want to go where you want to go, or doesn't want to use the meter? 

Here's another dialog, frequently repeated during my driving days:

"Hello, This is the Boston Police Dept., How can we assist you?"

"I'm the driver of Checker Taxi medallion number 152, A customer just ran off without paying.  He's wearing a red jacket and running towards the Bromley Projects on Centre St. side!!"

"Yes sir. What apartment number is he running to?"

"Uhh..He didn't bother to tell me...How would I know that?"

"Sorry Sir.  Can't help you.  You'll have to come into the station and fill out a complaint...."

Believe me, when you're a cabbie, you are totally alone out there. Darn right I turned down fares I didn't like the look of or going where I didn't feel safe.

How exactly are you supposed to give details?  I have seen taxi's licenses with photos that don't even come close to the drivers face.  If you open the rear door to tell the driver where to go I'm not looking at the license.  So I should have my camera on at all times when looking for a taxi and send video or photo to where.  It's all a farce.

1 hour ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

"What did he look like?"

'This is just needless harassment and intimidation of the drivers.' With your sense of humour, you must be related to 'Big Joke'.

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

No need to take a taxi, BAHT bus or tuk tuk ever again now there is Uber. Hassle free travel and you know what you're getting in advance. 

uber sometimes add weird charges the day after.. and then u have to pay it on your next trip..

I wish I had had this number about a month ago when I was in Bangkok at the US Embassy. I had to go through four taxis out front before I found one that would take me to Mochit Bus Station on the meter. The first three wanted from THB400 to THB300. :sad: I knew the meter fare should be around THB150. When I finally got a driver who would take me on the meter, after we arrived I gave him THB300 anyway and told him I appreciated him not trying to "kee-gung" a Farang. [emoji2]
I'm doing the same. If I'm at a spot where many taxis refuse to drive by meter I wait calmly for a metered taxi and give him a nice tip for being honest.

Archived