500bath Fine For Not Using Protection

ZZZ

The cabinet yesterday approved amendments to the Land Traffic Act:

"Motorcyclists without helmets will be fined 500 baht. The fine will be doubled if their passengers also have no helmet, Mr Yongyuth said."

To many deaths because of no helmets. Next step would be to make the helmets safe, just about anything can pass as a helmet today :o

"Motorcyclists without helmets will be fined 500 baht. The fine will be doubled if their passengers also have no helmet, Mr Yongyuth said."

To many deaths because of no helmets. Next step would be to make the helmets safe, just about anything can pass as a helmet today :o

how long is the time period the govenrment propsed to administer these 500 baths? is it one in the morining and one in the evening for 250 days, or are they to administered one after the other. i know my fingers and toes get wrinkled after about 20 minutes so 500 consecutive baths could prove to be a bit of a drastic solution to the problem. Also are they hot or cold baths?

Another misleading Tv pun/title.

Article in it's entirety from Bangkok Post 17 Jan 07

ROAD SAFETY / LAND TRAFFIC ACT AMENDMENTS

Penalties stiffen for drunk drivers

The cabinet yesterday approved harsher punishment for motorists convicted of drunk driving, including losing their licence. Amendments to the Land Traffic Act, which since 1979 has dealt with drink-driving offences, were approved to impose fines up to 200,000 baht and jail terms up to 10 years for violators who had caused road accidents.

The existing law had proven ''inappropriate and inconsistent'' to properly deal with the current situation, said government spokesman Yongyuth Maiyalarp.

The amended law will give officials more power to deal with the rising number of drunk drivers by empowering courts to more easily suspend or cancel drivers' licences, he said.

''If motorists kill someone, they will be sent to jail for three to 10 years, be fined between 60,000 and 200,000 baht, and their driving licences will be cancelled,'' Mr Yongyuth said.

If a drunk driver seriously injures someone, their licence will be suspended for at least one year, Mr Yongyuth said.

The law also imposes heavier penalties on motorcyclists who do not wear helmets.

Motorcyclists without helmets will be fined 500 baht. The fine will be doubled if their passengers also have no helmet, Mr Yongyuth said.

Guess that part must be the amendment, 500 baht has been the fine in Chiangmai for several years now.

Well, it is not before time! Anything that goes some way to reducing the horrific carnage on Thailand's roads must be a good thing; if not for the deceased person, then certainly for their surviving family and friends!

Let us just hope that the fines imposed are paid promptly, and the monies are put to good use in improved road safety or some other public service.

I read somwhere that 90% of all traffic related fatalities in Thailand were motorbike riders, 60% of these were kids under 15 driving without helmet or license. Thats about 20,000 kids dying each year!!!!!

The cabinet yesterday approved harsher punishment for motorists convicted of drunk driving, including losing their licence. Amendments to the Land Traffic Act, which since 1979 has dealt with drink-driving offences, were approved to impose fines up to 200,000 baht and jail terms up to 10 years for violators who had caused road accidents.

The existing law had proven ''inappropriate and inconsistent'' to properly deal with the current situation, said government spokesman Yongyuth Maiyalarp.

The amended law will give officials more power to deal with the rising number of drunk drivers by empowering courts to more easily suspend or cancel drivers' licences, he said.

''If motorists kill someone, they will be sent to jail for three to 10 years, be fined between 60,000 and 200,000 baht, and their driving licences will be cancelled,'' Mr Yongyuth said.

If a drunk driver seriously injures someone, their licence will be suspended for at least one year, Mr Yongyuth said.

The law also imposes heavier penalties on motorcyclists who do not wear helmets.

Motorcyclists without helmets will be fined 500 baht. The fine will be doubled if their passengers also have no helmet, Mr Yongyuth said.

There will be the older generation that will just carry on as they are, not until the younger generation see the consequences will this become fully effective, it will take time, but it is a good bit of legislation. It would be good to see the end of the carnage that happens on the roads everytime there is a national holiday or celebration.

Edited by Robski

So what's the situation now with the passenger. If they're fining for both, what if the driver wears but the passenger not, as happens mostly (when the driver wears a helmet)

Next step would be to make the helmets safe, just about anything can pass as a helmet today :D

:o:D

Encountered while travelling on the roads of Chiang Mai...

the deluxe orange plastic pail helmet with optional plastic handle chin strap:

post-9005-1169065419_thumb.jpg

*necessity is the mother of invention*

Actually thats better than useless helmets they normally provide Khun Farang!! :D

Whats scares me the most are the babys and children ususally held by or wedged between the riders!!!!

Next step would be to make the helmets safe, just about anything can pass as a helmet today :D

:o:D

Encountered while travelling on the roads of Chiang Mai...

the deluxe orange plastic pail helmet with optional plastic handle chin strap:

post-9005-1169065419_thumb.jpg

Actually thats better than useless helmets they normally provide Khun Farang!! :D

It's secondary beneficial use is a handy-dandy bucket for placing various body parts and innards into, following an accident involving it's wearer.

So what's the situation now with the passenger. If they're fining for both, what if the driver wears but the passenger not, as happens mostly (when the driver wears a helmet)

The driver will be given a ticket for having a passenger who is not wearing a helmet.

Great. Now they need to add a law that requires passengers within a vehicle to wear seatbelts. A mandatory air-bag on the driver side would also be nice.

And here I always thought Frank Zappa was the Mother of Invention. :o

off-topic historical post:

Musical genius and one of my top 3 guitarists ever, Frank had a band originally named, The Mothers, but when The Mothers signed with Verve Records, the label insisted that they officially re-title themselves "The Mothers of Invention" because "Mother" was short for "motherfcucker" - a term that can denote a skilled musician, but that also has more profane meanings.

Ahhh... a truly Zappist moment.

R.I.P. Sir Francis... you are dearly missed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving to Sriracha soon...

Gonna be a dental floss tycoon...

Edited by sriracha john

I hope the law is written in such a way that if the helmet is not strapped on, they will also get fined. I see most policemen and many motorcycle taxi drivers wear helmets, but they don't fasten the chin strap.

The police of Hat Yai charges 200 Baht for not wearing a helmet when piloting a motorcycle. There is no charge for the pillion rider with or without a helmet. Controls happen on main roads only. After leaving a main road motorcyclists tend to drop their helmets into the basket up front. The Hat Yai police officers are setting a good example while riding around with their peaked cap.

About time the road rules were tightened up, I drive about 50,000 km a year in Thailand and some of the stupid drivers are beyond belief… all the death and carnage must have a massive toll on Thailands health service (Government hospitals) and workforce.

A radical rethink of drivers is required as vehicle ownership in Thailand has grown dramatically over the past 10 years

Helmets that are sold in places like Tesco at 99 baht are just a joke.

Good to see that courts are NOW going to cancel the licenses of drink drivers..it should have happened years ago;(plus they should be made to pay all costs & realistic compensation to accident victims)

People who drive when banned or with no insurance should be given prison terms, as they clearly have no moral responsibility…that is the key word missing from Thailand…Responsibility.

IMO a very good start to the road laws …now get serious on the wreak-less drivers & totally brain dead baht bus drivers :o

Laws are good if they are enforced. When you wear a helmet you do lose some hearing and visual. As for kids on bikes, there are a lot of poor people in Thailand who have to take their kids on the bikes with them in order to live normally. By the way, a lot of the accidents on the roads aren't caused by bikes. There may be more motorbikes accidents but that's also because there are more bikes. If they are going to crack down then let me be the devil's advocate. They should also do a few other things like ban people from sitting in the back of pickup trucks as they do in many other countries. Require child seats for all children. They should also ban all people from owning more than one passenger car sedan or coupe and no more than one personal commercial vehicle. They should also limit the number of vehicles per household and ban parking on most Bangkok streets to encourage people to choose and use public transportation. They should also ban cellphone use in cars and force drivers to have two hands on the wheel at all times or risk a fine. Anyone under the age of twenty should not be allowed to drive in urban areas. Finally, foreigners really should not be allowed to own cars - why let foreigners add to the traffic problems? There should also be a cap on the number sof new cars sold in the country each year. It's not just motorcyclists, it should affect everyone.

Laws are good if they are enforced. When you wear a helmet you do lose some hearing and visual. As for kids on bikes, there are a lot of poor people in Thailand who have to take their kids on the bikes with them in order to live normally. By the way, a lot of the accidents on the roads aren't caused by bikes. There may be more motorbikes accidents but that's also because there are more bikes. If they are going to crack down then let me be the devil's advocate. They should also do a few other things like ban people from sitting in the back of pickup trucks as they do in many other countries. Require child seats for all children. They should also ban all people from owning more than one passenger car sedan or coupe and no more than one personal commercial vehicle. They should also limit the number of vehicles per household and ban parking on most Bangkok streets to encourage people to choose and use public transportation. They should also ban cellphone use in cars and force drivers to have two hands on the wheel at all times or risk a fine. Anyone under the age of twenty should not be allowed to drive in urban areas. Finally, foreigners really should not be allowed to own cars - why let foreigners add to the traffic problems? There should also be a cap on the number sof new cars sold in the country each year. It's not just motorcyclists, it should affect everyone.

I assume this is irony.

About time the road rules were tightened up, I drive about 50,000 km a year in Thailand and some of the stupid drivers are beyond belief… all the death and carnage must have a massive toll on Thailands health service (Government hospitals) and workforce.

A radical rethink of drivers is required as vehicle ownership in Thailand has grown dramatically over the past 10 years

Helmets that are sold in places like Tesco at 99 baht are just a joke.

Good to see that courts are NOW going to cancel the licenses of drink drivers..it should have happened years ago;(plus they should be made to pay all costs & realistic compensation to accident victims)

People who drive when banned or with no insurance should be given prison terms, as they clearly have no moral responsibility…that is the key word missing from Thailand…Responsibility.

IMO a very good start to the road laws …now get serious on the wreak-less drivers & totally brain dead baht bus drivers :o

Interestingly, i was reading up on world life expectancy rates awhile back. I was checking some facts about Iraq as i work there. I also check Thailand's as it's where i live most of the year.

Amazingly the report said if there were a reduction of Male victim road deaths to Zero, the Life Expectancy Rate would be raised by 10 YEARS!!

Not saying the helmet enforcement will result in less deaths, but it'll make cleaning up brains a bit easier. Local helmet standards are truly following the Spirit of the Law, not the letter.

Not saying the helmet enforcement will result in less deaths, but it'll make cleaning up brains a bit easier. Local helmet standards are truly following the Spirit of the Law, not the letter.

Absolutely, I vaguely remember when they first introduced the crash helmet law that the helmets had to meet Thai standards. Internationally recognised standards, like say the British Kite mark, were not acceptable. But, as has been said, anything that vaguely resembles a helmet is okay

I regularly use motorbike taxis round Pattaya, previously without a helmet and I felt safer than the last couple of visits where I had to wear one. Not only did they fit badly, I had to hold one of them in place as it didn't fit at all, but the standard was pitiful. An ill fitting or poorly made helmet is almost as bad, and in some situations worse, than no helmet at all.

PS :o but pertaining to the title. Why does the currency Baht so often get typed Bath? Are people typing stuff into Word and then cut and pasting it over thus falling foul of that bluddy spell checker? Drives me nuts inserting a 'z' in place of 's' in words like realise. :D