Som Tam in Krabi the most expensive in Thailand

webfact

Som Tam in Krabi the most expensive in Thailand

By Thai PBS

somtam.jpg

Som Tam green papaya salad in Krabi province is the most expensive in the country with an average price of 60 baht per dish, according to a survey by the Ministry of Commerce.

The ministry included som tam in its survey of the trend of the prices of consumer products for the year 2018 which showed a trend of rising prices due to economic expansion and increasing production costs.

The survey found the price of som tam in Krabi the most expensive in Thailand at 60 baht per dish, followed by Rayong (55 baht), Bangkok (35 baht) and Si Sa Ket (30 baht).

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/som-tam-krabi-expensive-thailand/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-01-04

Serve that up in an Olive Garden back home and you'd pay $12.95 for it.  Plus tip.

Personally, I'd like to see the prices going up as the raw ingredients do.  In just 7 years, I've noticed that the quality of some street foods has declined, and I can't blame the vendors if they are forced by the market (or by the gov't) to hold their selling price.

6 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

So, we have another entitled westerner who thinks Thailand revolves around him.

For your quality ingredients please do continue shipping at Villa Market and such and have poor people eat their somtam at reasonable prices.

Entitled because I'd rather pay a fair price for their product instead of seeing the quality of that product go into the toilet because good quality inputs cost more than their selling price? 

How does declining quality somtam benefit anyone?  Or selling good quality somtam at a reduced profit that doesn't pay the bills?  And how many vendors just quit selling altogether when they couldn't make it work with rising costs and no way to recoup those costs and still pay their bills?

I'd call you the entitled one because you want to keep getting your cheap food at the expense of those who work hard to provide it to you.  Instead, I'll just say we see things from different perspectives. 

39 minutes ago, impulse said:

Entitled because I'd rather pay a fair price for their product instead of seeing the quality of that product go into the toilet because good quality inputs cost more than their selling price? 

How does declining quality somtam benefit anyone?  Or selling good quality somtam at a reduced profit that doesn't pay the bills?  And how many vendors just quit selling altogether when they couldn't make it work with rising costs and no way to recoup those costs and still pay their bills?

I'd call you the entitled one because you want to keep getting your cheap food at the expense of those who work hard to provide it to you.  Instead, I'll just say we see things from different perspectives. 

I don't eat somtam.

Well, personally in your case I feel that your currency should be on par with Thai baht then perhaps you'll understand what rising prices mean to the poor.

Why do they Have to be Halal if one is Not a Muslim? This is Bull+ Shit.  (:
Shrimp and crab also banned for Jews and Christians.
Leviticus 11:9-12 says:
9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Deuteronomy 14:9-10 says:
9 These ye shall eat of all that are in the waters: all that have fins and scales shall ye eat:
10 And whatsoever hath not fins and scales ye may not eat; it is unclean unto you.

So another good reason to be Pastafarian.

3 hours ago, agudbuk said:

9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

9 These ye shall eat of all that are in the waters: all that have fins and scales shall ye eat:
10 And whatsoever hath not fins and scales ye may not eat; it is unclean unto you.

This, and history, is Bunk

18 hours ago, agudbuk said:

Wow, I must be a Sinner than ,,, As A Non Practising Roman catholic I eat prawns /crab and on Fridays I eat meat,,I didn't Know about the seafood ,did about the Friday Fish day.  Ah Well must be signed to Satan  ones I am finished here.  (:

On 4/1/2018 at 3:04 PM, Hupaponics said:

Reasonable that it's more expensive in Krabi. The small shrimps and the crab have to be Halal...

Everything is more expensive in Krabi, even if it has no needs to be halal (food related).

On 4/1/2018 at 7:05 PM, agudbuk said:

True for Jewish religion as crustaceans are not kashér for the kashrut (doesn't fit dietary religious laws).

False for Christians (and Catholics in general), as believers follows almost only New Testament, and crustaceans are widely eaten in many Christian countries like Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Philippines and many countries of south and central America.
I think also pope Francesco will not despite some good shrimps from time to time...

True for Jewish religion as crustaceans are not kashér for the kashrut (doesn't fit dietary religious laws).

False for Christians (and Catholics in general), as believers follows almost only New Testament, and crustaceans are widely eaten in many Christian countries like Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Philippines and many countries of south and central America.
I think also pope Francesco will not despite some good shrimps from time to time...
So anything in the old testament can be ignored?

21 minutes ago, agudbuk said:
25 minutes ago, 5c1n1 said:

No more than anything in the new one should be. 

29 minutes ago, agudbuk said:
33 minutes ago, 5c1n1 said:

Christians, in modern era, has not any dietary religious laws.
Traditionally is only used to avoid to eat meat on Friday. But you can eat crustaceans... and somtam XD

The most ancient version of old testament we have (dead sea papers) are written (in ancient Jewish language) without vowels, so nobody can be even sure about the pronounce (and the meaning) of the words...

On 06/01/2018 at 1:30 AM, agudbuk said:
On 06/01/2018 at 1:25 AM, 5c1n1 said:

Any religious mumbo jumbo can be ignored. It's made up fantasy not science.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived