พร้อมเพย์

bluesofa

Regarding the recent news with Prompt Pay, I just saw a sign with the name in Thai and English.

It’s the first time I’ve seen the Thai translation of it: พร้อมเพย์ I suppose the word ‘prompt’ is not an easy word for Thais to pronounce due to the three consonant ending – m-p-t (Is that a triphthong?)

So to write it in Thai script must be nearly impossible, although I would have perhaps expected to see the ‘p’ and ‘t’ added with a garan above both(?) of them?

Thais like a bit of word play so I think they've intentionally used the Thai word พร้อม. It's not meant to be a transliteration of the word 'prompt'. But they've come up with something that can give it meaning both in Thai and English. 

Regarding the recent news with Prompt Pay, I just saw a sign with the name in Thai and English.

It’s the first time I’ve seen the Thai translation of it: พร้อมเพย์ I suppose the word ‘prompt’ is not an easy word for Thais to pronounce due to the three consonant ending – m-p-t (Is that a triphthong?)

The OP's words above. 

I would have thought a Thai translation of prompt would be  ฉับไว or รวดเร็ว

But as Khao Niaw points out Thais love puns and word play, so the meaning of พร้อม- ready, prepared, fits in so well with the meaning in English prompt  that it works a treat.

Archived