Suffocation suspected as two women die in parked car in Hat Yai

webfact

Suffocation suspected as two women die in parked car in Hat Yai

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manger Online

Two women were found dead in a car parked in downtown Hat Yai in the south of Thailand yesterday.

Only the driver was identified - police suspect that the pair suffocated due to lack of oxygen but investigations continue.

At the wheel of the Ford Escape was 53 year old Thanyapat Khahasitrot from nearby Soi 18, Rat Uthit Road. Next to her was an unidentified 60 year old woman with her head leaning towards the driver.

The engine was running and the air conditioner was on. There was no sign of struggle, accident or theft.

A witness said that the car had been there for five hours since 3pm. They didn't think anything of it at first thinking the women had some business and were waiting.

But when the witness came back and saw the car still there they knocked on the women and getting no reply called the cops.

Police said that the occupants seemed to have been waiting and fallen asleep resulting in dying due to lack of oxygen.

The bodies were sent for detailed examination as efforts were made to identify the second occupant of the car.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-04

I didn't think you could suffocate in a car, they're not air tight. As the engine was running might suspect carbon monoxide poisoning is more likely, either deliberate or accidental, through a faulty exhaust system.

I slept in a closed car many times . After 4 hours I usually wake up and open the windows. But here there were 2 persons in the car so 1/2 the oxygene /per person during 3 to 5 hours . So could be. Or maybe the aircon gas was leaking ?

8 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Leaking exhaust?....5 hours in a vehicle with the engine running, maybe no breeze.....fresh air vent closed....very possible and wouldn't be a first.

I don't think it would even have to be a leaky exhaust. I've notice that many Thais, persistently leave the ventilation system in 'recycle'. In that mode very little fresh air is drawn in from the outside and with no forward motion, as in this case, even less.

A lack of oxygen and a build up of Carbon Dioxide is al it takes.

Archived