Tony Blair warns British voters: time is running out to stop Brexit folly

webfact

He has been on BBC Radio 4 Today and John Humfrys told his he inciting civil disobedience and last week Jeremy Vine of BBC Radio 2 said he was one of the most hated figures of the people, says it all really, this god like creature strolls amongst us preaching his mantras to all and sundry who he generally regards as "Thick". The reason he cannot accept the will of the people is that it affects his bank balance but  that he will never tell you.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No. 

It’s someone expressing their view and desires. 

Something brexiteers have a problem with for some reason. 

Even more bizarre when it is calling for the same thing the arch brexiteer, farage, said would be necessary, if there was a close vote. 

"Something brexiteers have a problem with for some reason"

Sorry,  but "the "ayes" have it!  "The British public has voted to leave the EU and in a Democracy the vote has to be accepted."

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Obama had some good Brexit advice for Britons.  Blair should have asked him to fly over for a cameo.  :tongue:

image.png.a0dd2a28b40262c16d0d2065f0143b13.png

Wasn't Obama's campaigning for Remain, and issuing veiled threats about what Brexit would mean, the same as interfering in another countries electoral processes?

37 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I know lots of people who do fysical work.

As a matter of fact I come from a post office workers family, and was the first one ever to go to university.

But you seem to confuse 2 types of fysical laborers.

The ones that are (self) employed and the ones that are too lazy / desinterested to be their own boss, and would rather be on the dole than take initiative.

"was the first one ever to go to university."

Not wanting to be "Spelling" or "Grammar" police, but you should maybe have gone to classes more often - and I don't just mean "fysical"!

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

Sorry,  but "the "ayes" have it!  "The British public has voted to leave the EU and in a Democracy the vote has to be accepted."

And where in the wording of the bill enacted to legalize the EU Referendum did it say that this was a one off, for ever irreversible decision?

Farage, who thought he'd loose but maybe closely, was blabbing on about a close vote meaning "unfinished" business. But of course, Brexiters don't want to know now. 

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

"was the first one ever to go to university."

Not wanting to be "Spelling" or "Grammar" police, but you should maybe have gone to classes more often - and I don't just mean "fysical"!

I studied macro economics - in Dutch.

And in the several languages that I speak, sometimes it is f, sometimes it is ph.

I don't see why it matters.

13 minutes ago, sambum said:

I’ve personally never called for another vote. 

However, the fact that the brexiteers won the vote, does not mean those against brexit cannot call for another vote. 

farage said he would. 

Democracies allow for this and to call for another vote is legitimate. 

It is anti-democratic to say this is not allowable. 

21 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I’ve personally never called for another vote. 

However, the fact that the brexiteers won the vote, does not mean those against brexit cannot call for another vote. 

farage said he would. 

Democracies allow for this and to call for another vote is legitimate. 

It is anti-democratic to say this is not allowable. 

So, (and I am not being deliberately argumentative in this comment) IF there was another vote, and the great British public voted to stay, would those who voted for Brexit not have the democratic right to call for another vote as the "score" would then stand at one each?

1 minute ago, sambum said:

So, (and I am not being deliberately argumentative in this comment) IF there was another vote, and the great British public voted to stay, would those who voted for Brexit not have the Democratic right to call for another vote as the "score" would then stand at one each?

Certainly would. 

Sounds like a "Never Ending Story" or a tennis match! You can not be serious!

" 15 all - Blair to serve" !

No, it’s called a democracy. 

It’s a thing where people can vote, change their minds and vote again. 

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tony Blair wants to shut up, he did enough damage to the UK when he was PM.  No he is trying to do the same.  Britain out of the EU he will probably lose out on a bit of cash.

He was after the sympathy vote, a bit like the "I was sober" that people believed with you. 

2 minutes ago, Coconutman said:

Like america brits are sick of giving the country away to people that hate it and its qay of life

Please clarify.

Who are the people that hate the UK and the British way of life? The 48%?

Or are you talking about immigrants? How would that be related to Blair's comments?

This is the problem with referendums. They are no way to sort out these sort of problems on a whim, although, in this case it is was made abundantly clear that it (the result) was binding which they shouldn't be. Referendums should be used to gauge public opinion and then political parties adjust their policies according to the results and at the next general election, then the public chooses which one offers the most desired way forward. Otherwise, you end up in the 'neverendum' trap. Same with the Scottish referendum, can't keep having these things every 5 years or so...totally not OK as how can anyone, especially business, be confident about the future and invest or plan. No way Jose.

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No they cannot, voting only happens once , they cannot change their minds and vote again.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No they cannot, voting only happens once , they cannot change their minds and vote again.

Hmm, while I do appreciate sarcasm, you know I sometimes get the feeling, that is the official brexiteer line, only since they won though, that is. 

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

And again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again?

And yet again? I thought a democracy meant "one man/woman one vote", and "accept the will of the people", not keep calling for continual revotes when the result doesn't go your way? 

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tony Blair wants to shut up, he did enough damage to the UK when he was PM.  No he is trying to do the same.  Britain out of the EU he will probably lose out on a bit of cash.

Plus the bloke actually followed Bush with cap in hand.....

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Please clarify.

Who are the people that hate the UK and the British way of life? The 48%?

Or are you talking about immigrants? How would that be related to Blair's comments?

Really you need it spelled out

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

And again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again?

And yet again? I thought a democracy meant "one man/woman one vote", and "accept the will of the people", not keep calling for continual revotes when the result doesn't go your way? 

Allowing people to express their views and desires is democracy. 

That includes calling for another vote. 

Especially when a result was as close as the brexit one. 

farage sure intended to do so. 

And the answer is: referenda are NOT part of democracy.

Referenda only offer the illusion of democracy.

44 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I studied macro economics - in Dutch.

And in the several languages that I speak, sometimes it is f, sometimes it is ph.

I don't see why it matters.

I think that proper spelling does matter - sorry, just the way I was educated!  (desinterested?) 

Just now, sambum said:

I think that proper spelling does matter - sorry, just the way I was educated!  (desinterested?) 

I think that languages should be used for communication.

Of course, if poor spelling is a hindrance to communication, then spelling becomes an issue. And only then.

I think that being able to communicate in several languages is worth more than being able to spell perfectly in only one language.

Not that I expect Brits, French or Americans to agree with this.

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Allowing people to express their views and desires is democracy. 

That includes calling for another vote. 

Especially when a result was as close as the brexit one. 

farage sure intended to do so. 

So when do you FINALLY accept the will of the people?

Archived