Hong Kong Garden restaurant, Sisaket

DILLIGAD

just a quick question, a couple of years ago, Frank at "living in the past" used to sell pies and pizzas and bacon and sausages. Then he stopped, but a couple of days ago i was talking to someone and they said that he had started selling them again. Can anyone confirm this please.

Back on topic.
Peter was making his own pies/bread and they were very nice (especially the curry pies).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's  a lot of talk about delicious pizza if you don't have an image of it? I was there with my wife and I had a pizza with "more cheese", fortunately was there pretty much everything on it plus a lot of cheese.

190 baht for any toppings is fantastic. 

P.S. We had two pizzas and could eat some slices the next day, impossible for me to eat one alone. 

Pizza at Hongkong Garden.jpg

Well, finally made it yesterday. A bit of a mixed verdict. Firstly we both ordered a pepperoni pizza to take out. My friend had his cooked as he was eating it for his tea, I had mine not cooked, and i put the box straight into my freezer, and will cook it saturday night, when i am watching my beloved manchester city lol

Anyway back to business, there were a few things on the specials board, and we both decided to have the "Steak and Ale pie with chips and gravy". The pie itself, the pastry was nice and a decent thickness, at the first taste i must admit i found it a little bit strange, not like any steak and ale pie i have had before, but i guess that must be because of which ale he used, maybe it was the dark lao beer, i also found it a little sweet tasting. The beef was nice and tender, and what i did like was that there was plenty of moisture inside the pie. I always find that the pies i am able to get here in Issan, from Staffords in Prasat, and the Buriram pieman are always very dry inside. Altogether once i got used to the taste i found it a pretty good pie.

But now my pet hate in any restaurant, crinkle cut chips, i just don't like them at all, i find they seem to absorb too much oil. I am sure he would be better using the 10/20cm steak fries that i get at Makro in Sisaket, a much better product and probably the same price. He said he does other pies, like chicken curry, chicken and veg, and egg and bacon pie, so will probably try one of those next week. Anyway all in all not too bad, my friend liked his meal so i guess we will be back next week sometime.

Well, finally made it yesterday. A bit of a mixed verdict. Firstly we both ordered a pepperoni pizza to take out. My friend had his cooked as he was eating it for his tea, I had mine not cooked, and i put the box straight into my freezer, and will cook it saturday night, when i am watching my beloved manchester city lol
Anyway back to business, there were a few things on the specials board, and we both decided to have the "Steak and Ale pie with chips and gravy". The pie itself, the pastry was nice and a decent thickness, at the first taste i must admit i found it a little bit strange, not like any steak and ale pie i have had before, but i guess that must be because of which ale he used, maybe it was the dark lao beer, i also found it a little sweet tasting. The beef was nice and tender, and what i did like was that there was plenty of moisture inside the pie. I always find that the pies i am able to get here in Issan, from Staffords in Prasat, and the Buriram pieman are always very dry inside. Altogether once i got used to the taste i found it a pretty good pie.
But now my pet hate in any restaurant, crinkle cut chips, i just don't like them at all, i find they seem to absorb too much oil. I am sure he would be better using the 10/20cm steak fries that i get at Makro in Sisaket, a much better product and probably the same price. He said he does other pies, like chicken curry, chicken and veg, and egg and bacon pie, so will probably try one of those next week. Anyway all in all not too bad, my friend liked his meal so i guess we will be back next week sometime.

I recommend Peter’s ‘Ruby’ pies!

I took my wife and younger daughter to HKG on Teachers Day a couple of days ago. Haven't been there for a few years. We were all happy with the food and I was delighted by the (justifiably expensive at 200 baht) bottle of Youngs Special Ale - the finest complex English beer you can get in a bottle, except for Fullers Vintage Ale, IMO. That after a bottle of Beer Lao Dark - not very lunchtime-appropriate choices of course, but I don't get up to meuang Sisaket from the southern reaches of the province much at nightimes so 'needs must' as my Yorkshire Mum used to say

We had:

*a pizza at 190 baht - excellent value with delicious ample topping and well cooked. Base slightly on the bready side (I prefer the more authentic thin crust at Spagos in Ubon and Pizza4U in Kantharalak, but I'd eat one at HKG again)

*chicken rogan ghosh at 130 baht - while not being of the best curry house quality its difficult enough to find currrys in this part of Isaan and I enjoyed it. A pan-fried chapati (easy enough to knock up from a bag of the right flour) would have rounded it out more nicely and authentically than the lightly toasted slices of french stick

*nam wun saen talay at 150 baht - didn't try my wife's choice but it looked a good one - large plate with a big prawn or two included. She liked it and she eats that dish regularly enough to be a reliable judge.

Only real criticism was that the first 3 Thai dishes chosen off the menu by my wife were not available but she got over her brief annoyance by tucking into daughter's pizza!

Beer and pizza plus a chat with mein hosts in a nice ambience (3 choices - out front, garden behind or large interior) would be and will be my reason for going back. Aussies take note that Peter is getting in a supply of Coopers beer next. Still quite a few beautifully fresh bottles of the Youngs Special left for me to go at too! Will maybe try the pies though next time (hint: Peppers in Ubon does an excellent chunky steak pie in their bakery and restaurant for take out and eat in. 130 baht take out, but one pie does me for two meals)

food at Hong Kong Garden 16jan18.jpg

garden tables at Hong Kong Garden 16jan18.jpg

great beer at Hong Kong Garden 16jan18.jpg

Hong Kong Garden Restaurant Sisaket 16jan18.jpg

interior at Hong Kong Garden 16jan18.jpg

PS - Frank at 'Living in the Past' has been handing out cards for, and recommending, a (presumably newish) bar/eatery called Barco (town centre - on the KhuKhan Rd, three blocks south of KTB Bank). His recommendations are usually well-founded but  has anyone given it a road test yet?

PS - Frank at 'Living in the Past' has been handing out cards for, and recommending, a (presumably newish) bar/eatery called Barco (town centre - on the KhuKhan Rd, three blocks south of KTB Bank). His recommendations are usually well-founded but  has anyone given it a road test yet?

Yes, many times. After a few ‘teething troubles’, it’s a nice place to go also and another one of the more ‘up market’ SSK eateries. Limited ‘Farang style ‘ items on menu though.

19 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Barco's been open for quite a while now. The pizzas are okay, but not great, also regarding my wife's taste. Some tables are outside to have a buri, the set up is pretty cool.

There's a corner where two youngish people make some music in the evening, the place is often packed, especially on weekends. Worth to give a try. 

18 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Barco's been open for quite a while now. The pizzas are okay, but not great, also regarding my wife's taste. Some tables are outside to have a buri, the set up is pretty cool.

There's a corner where two youngish people make some music in the evening, the place is often packed, especially on weekends. Worth to give a try. 

I prefere the pizza there compare with Peter's. Peter's pizza are full loaded and cheap but the typicall pizzataste is missing. No oregano and other spices. Sorry. I don't care about how much is on a pizza for me is the flavor important.

Well sadly i have to report that firstly my friend was very underwhelmed with his pizza, as was I. As i said i took mine uncooked, tonight i put it into a hot oven, and usually 10 minutes or so, would see it perfectly cooked, but i could have left this in the oven for a couple of hours and i don't think that the base would have cooked, it was completely raw. And both my friend and myself asked the question of why would anyone who knows anything about pizzas, put pineapple on a pepperoni pizza. i think i have only ever had pineapple on a hawaian pizza. So i don't think that we will be returning to peters place, but maybe we will give the pizza at barco's a go.

Well sadly i have to report that firstly my friend was very underwhelmed with his pizza, as was I. As i said i took mine uncooked, tonight i put it into a hot oven, and usually 10 minutes or so, would see it perfectly cooked, but i could have left this in the oven for a couple of hours and i don't think that the base would have cooked, it was completely raw. And both my friend and myself asked the question of why would anyone who knows anything about pizzas, put pineapple on a pepperoni pizza. i think i have only ever had pineapple on a hawaian pizza. So i don't think that we will be returning to peters place, but maybe we will give the pizza at barco's a go.

Or maybe tell him what you want/don’t want on a pizza.
I know he does cater for the ‘unusual’. I once saw a guy have a ‘no tomato’ pizza there!!!!
Good idea to try Barco pizza. I have heard some good reports of them.

21 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

I know he does cater for the ‘unusual’. I once saw a guy have a ‘no tomato’ pizza there!!!!

Agree, but IMO hellyes2002 is right, if not ordered a Hawaiian Pizza, pineapple ( special with pepperoni ) is a no go or the pizzabaker has no idea about his job. Sorry

Agree, but IMO hellyes2002 is right, if not ordered a Hawaiian Pizza, pineapple ( special with pepperoni ) is a no go or the pizzabaker has no idea about his job. Sorry

An Italian one or from elsewhere? 555

Let me just say something here. Firstly I will always say well done to anyone who tries to make a living cooking western style food here in Thailand, but also especially in Issan, where ingredients are difficult to source. Sadly as i have said the food at the Hong Kong was well below par, not just the Pizzas, but also the pies that we tried, add that to the fact he served "Crinkle cut Chips" and that just about killed it for me and my mate.

But he is not the only one struggling for my vote. For a long time people used to tell me how good the food was at the "Farang Connection" in Surin, when I tried it, not just once but twice, I found it to be very poor, once when the legendary " Martin" was alive, but also after he passed. The only place I found even half decent food in Surin was at a American Restaurant, I think it was called either "Starlight, or Starburst", but even that was as I said only half decent, but he disappeared after a few months.

And even the guys that supply food here in Issan, struggle to produce good food. The "Burirampieman" supplies most things, and I have tried a lot of them, my verdict. The 2 best things he supplies are his " Steak and Mushroom Puddings, and his Honey Roast Ham". The rest of his pies are below average, although I will say his "Corned Beef Pasties" are pretty good. Then we come to "Staffords, and as with Burriram,his pies are all devoid of any moisture in the filling, that is no gravy.he is also very expensive.

God why can't I find a Meat and Potatoe pie in Thailand that is made the same as the world famous "Hollands Pies" back in the UK. Where the meat is minced, and cooked with finely diced onions and a rich gravy, and then mixed with mashed potatoes, and a beautiful crisp pastry. So that when you eat them they are tasty and moist, not cluggy and dry.

Anyway nothing more for me to say, and before anyone tells me to go back home, I can survive with my own cooking, I can cook almost anything pretty well, but I cannot, even after a million attempts master pastry, if I could I would probably make a fortune selling my pies lol.

57 minutes ago, hellyes2oo2 said:

Let me just say something here. Firstly I will always say well done to anyone who tries to make a living cooking western style food here in Thailand, but also especially in Issan, where ingredients are difficult to source. Sadly as i have said the food at the Hong Kong was well below par, not just the Pizzas, but also the pies that we tried, add that to the fact he served "Crinkle cut Chips" and that just about killed it for me and my mate.

But he is not the only one struggling for my vote. For a long time people used to tell me how good the food was at the "Farang Connection" in Surin, when I tried it, not just once but twice, I found it to be very poor, once when the legendary " Martin" was alive, but also after he passed. The only place I found even half decent food in Surin was at a American Restaurant, I think it was called either "Starlight, or Starburst", but even that was as I said only half decent, but he disappeared after a few months.

And even the guys that supply food here in Issan, struggle to produce good food. The "Burirampieman" supplies most things, and I have tried a lot of them, my verdict. The 2 best things he supplies are his " Steak and Mushroom Puddings, and his Honey Roast Ham". The rest of his pies are below average, although I will say his "Corned Beef Pasties" are pretty good. Then we come to "Staffords, and as with Burriram,his pies are all devoid of any moisture in the filling, that is no gravy.he is also very expensive.

God why can't I find a Meat and Potatoe pie in Thailand that is made the same as the world famous "Hollands Pies" back in the UK. Where the meat is minced, and cooked with finely diced onions and a rich gravy, and then mixed with mashed potatoes, and a beautiful crisp pastry. So that when you eat them they are tasty and moist, not cluggy and dry.

Anyway nothing more for me to say, and before anyone tells me to go back home, I can survive with my own cooking, I can cook almost anything pretty well, but I cannot, even after a million attempts master pastry, if I could I would probably make a fortune selling my pies lol.

You seem a little hard to please.

Have you ever thought of asking one of the above for something a bit more to your liking? Have you ever complained to the above suppliers? One thing I can't stand is when someone comes on here to complains before they have spoken to the owners of the places about which they complain.

The restaurant that you speak about in Surin is Starbeams. They haven't disappeared. Only moved. The Farang Connection was always a bit hit and miss. It has now, sadly, closed down. Shame really as it was an iconic place with on Surin.

I was once at a Sunday gathering in NongKi, Buriram. There is a place that supplies western food there. One of the products available are pies from BuriramPieMan. The Pieman happened to be there. Someone mentioned that there was not enough gravy in the pies. He was told, by many other expats, to stop complaining and buy some gravy granules if he felt the amount of gravy in the pies was not sufficient.. They tried to point out that the pies were in fact full of succulent meat with a good  amount of rich gravy and great pies because of this. It was pointed out to him that in order to get more gravy in the meat would have to be taken out. The man eventually relented and bought some gravy granules. It was a very funny incident to see. We all had a good laugh about it afterwards. And safe to say the Pieman was told to take no notice and NOT to change anything.

Do you need some gravy? I'll send you the guy's number. lol.

On 1/28/2018 at 8:20 PM, DILLIGAD said:

Just for you as information, the real original pizza ( Margherita, Pizza Neapolitan ) never get tomato only tomato sauce. Pizza is a traditional Italian dish consisting of a yeasted flatbread typically topped with tomato sauce and cheese and baked in an oven. It can also be topped with additional vegetables, meats, and condiments, and can be made without cheese.

3 hours ago, hellyes2oo2 said:

God why can't I find a Meat and Potatoe pie in Thailand that is made the same as the world famous "Hollands Pies" back in the UK

555. Same reason I can't find a decent bphu dam thai (somtam variant) in the UK*.

Hope your comment was as tongue in cheek as my reply!

*  Reminds me of my culinary discovery that there's a Thai restaurant in Islington London called 'Isaan'. It makes OK Thai food all right, but has not one Isaan dish on the menu!

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You seem a little hard to please.

Have you ever thought of asking one of the above for something a bit more to your liking? Have you ever complained to the above suppliers? One thing I can't stand is when someone comes on here to complains before they have spoken to the owners of the places about which they complain.

The restaurant that you speak about in Surin is Starbeams. They haven't disappeared. Only moved. The Farang Connection was always a bit hit and miss. It has now, sadly, closed down. Shame really as it was an iconic place with on Surin.

I was once at a Sunday gathering in NongKi, Buriram. There is a place that supplies western food there. One of the products available are pies from BuriramPieMan. The Pieman happened to be there. Someone mentioned that there was not enough gravy in the pies. He was told, by many other expats, to stop complaining and buy some gravy granules if he felt the amount of gravy in the pies was not sufficient.. They tried to point out that the pies were in fact full of succulent meat with a good  amount of rich gravy and great pies because of this. It was pointed out to him that in order to get more gravy in the meat would have to be taken out. The man eventually relented and bought some gravy granules. It was a very funny incident to see. We all had a good laugh about it afterwards. And safe to say the Pieman was told to take no notice and NOT to change anything.

Do you need some gravy? I'll send you the guy's number. lol.

I've always had decent food at Starbeams, and yes, its still there!

In reply to "youreavinalaff" no I don't think I"m hard to please, I just enjoy my food, and if I don't like it I will always tell you. And as for saying that if you had to take some meat out of the "Burirampiemans" pies so that you could put a couple of tablespoons of gravy into them, then i think you are "avinalaff". If you slice the top off of one of his pies, then you will see that there is plenty of room inside to put a bit of gravy.  But although I am not a fan of his pies, I don't think that they are inedible, as are some of the pies that I have eaten in places like Bangkok and Pattaya, in fact I would say that his pastry is probably better than anywhere else in Thailand, it is just that for me his fillings are dry, or let's say to dry for me. I and will always say that his suet puddings are the best I have had in Thailand, and I would also recommend his mushy peas lol. And on one last point, I don't think that me asking a guy to change his recipe just to accommodate a couple of pies for me would be fair.

Santisuk, yes my comment about the meat and potatoes pies was a bit tongue in cheek, although i am now aware that there is a australian guy in Jomtien who is producing such pies, and i am told they are great, i think the shop is called "Tinnies", but as i don't really like Pattaya, I don't get down there much these days.

One last thing i didn't know that the "Farang Connection" had closed, but sad to see, and l'am also glad to know that "Starbeam" is still up and running. If i had the choice of buying a bar in Surin, then the one with the best location, but also the best layout would have been the bar facing the speed disco, I think it was owned by a belgian guy. It had a really good long bar inside, and plenty of room for tables and would have been ideal for a sport/music bar, sadly he had it full of cases of belgian food and you had to fight your way in past about a thousand plants outside the entrance. Anyway end of my rant, but thanks to all who have made this enjoable post.

Haven't tried Starbeams (might have popped in with Bergen a few years back but too long ago to remember). IMO Peppers in Ubon is the best standard falang type restaurant at our end of Lower Isaan*. Those who haven't tried it since it was taken over by an American-German family a few years ago needs to check it out - it took a huge leg up at that stage!

[I am friendly with one of the brothers, Julian, who hashes with us from time to time and supports Arsenal's close German rival Dortmund, but I'm not daft enough to risk being blown out the water on here with recommendations of anything cr@p! Also a Chiang Mai American who hashed with us last year told me that he rated Julian's burgers as probably the best he has had in Thailand - still haven't tested that statement personally though]

*I say 'standard' as in broad range menu, because "Outside Inn" is also excellent for Mexican food and burgers, Spagos for Italian food and Norbert's Pizza4U in Kantharalak for authentic wood-fired pizzas. 

In reply to "youreavinalaff" no I don't think I"m hard to please, I just enjoy my food, and if I don't like it I will always tell you. And as for saying that if you had to take some meat out of the "Burirampiemans" pies so that you could put a couple of tablespoons of gravy into them, then i think you are "avinalaff". If you slice the top off of one of his pies, then you will see that there is plenty of room inside to put a bit of gravy.  But although I am not a fan of his pies, I don't think that they are inedible, as are some of the pies that I have eaten in places like Bangkok and Pattaya, in fact I would say that his pastry is probably better than anywhere else in Thailand, it is just that for me his fillings are dry, or let's say to dry for me. I and will always say that his suet puddings are the best I have had in Thailand, and I would also recommend his mushy peas lol. And on one last point, I don't think that me asking a guy to change his recipe just to accommodate a couple of pies for me would be fair.

Santisuk, yes my comment about the meat and potatoes pies was a bit tongue in cheek, although i am now aware that there is a australian guy in Jomtien who is producing such pies, and i am told they are great, i think the shop is called "Tinnies", but as i don't really like Pattaya, I don't get down there much these days.

One last thing i didn't know that the "Farang Connection" had closed, but sad to see, and l'am also glad to know that "Starbeam" is still up and running. If i had the choice of buying a bar in Surin, then the one with the best location, but also the best layout would have been the bar facing the speed disco, I think it was owned by a belgian guy. It had a really good long bar inside, and plenty of room for tables and would have been ideal for a sport/music bar, sadly he had it full of cases of belgian food and you had to fight your way in past about a thousand plants outside the entrance. Anyway end of my rant, but thanks to all who have made this enjoable post.

Think your talking about N&N international Restaurant opposite Speed, Surin. That has also closed down, Nobbie has gone back to Nong Khai and it’s been reopened now by another Farang.
Santi - agree about the Tex-mex at outside inn. It’s actually on par with Starbeams incidentally IMO.

Archived