Retired British postman claims Thai woman stole his pension - overstayed working on a construction site!

webfact

Retired British postman claims Thai woman stole his pension - overstayed working on a construction site!

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A retired British postman told police who arrested him on overstay yesterday that he had had his pension money stolen from him by a Thai woman.

Living in Lopburi he said that the woman had stolen his ATM and other documents.

His pension was 300 pounds a month but she took it all. He had to work on a construction site for 50 baht a day to try to get back to the UK, he claimed.

Tourism deputy commissioner Surachet Hakpal was not sure about the truth of all this and said that the postman wanted to report the woman for theft and needed help from his embassy so investigations into this matter were continuing.

The unnamed Brit was one of nine people arrested yesterday in 28 raids on addresses in Bangkok and the surrounding area. The raids were mounted by regional police, tourism cops and immigration.

Most of the others arrested were involved in drugs and other rackets and included four Nigerians and 4 people from Mali.

The raid on what Daily News said were mostly "people of color" was entitled the "Black Tiger" operation.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-05

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He could have had his ATM card cancelled within minutes of noticing it was gone, even if it was from a bank "back home". One phone call is all it takes.

I've called my bank (back home) and credit card company (a few times) over the past 20+ years and that's all it took to get the situation resolved. One call. 

The article doesn't say when the card was "stolen" (or how she knew the PIN, or why he couldn't make that one phone call). Surely he wasn't one of those trying to get by on just 300 GBP (about 13,000 baht) per month with no other savings ? Not to mention the whole "visa/extension of stay" issue.

Just recently  (6 weeks ago) I left my ATM card in a machine by accident. I was in a hurry and using a machine from a different bank and somehow forget to remove the card. Discovered my error the next day when I was 3 provinces away. Called a buddy who went to the machine and, naturally, the card was gone.

Made one phone call to the bank. The lady I spoke to asked my details (name, birthday, passport #) and then cancelled the card. She gave me the account balance as well and it sounded like the right amount. When I got home I went to the bank and was issued a new card (and set a new PIN) and was done in 5 minutes. No problems at all.

Working at a construction site for 50 baht a day ? That sounds pretty hokey as well. I'd be questioning the "boss" of that crew as to why he was hiring foreigners to work in Thai-specific jobs (like masonry, carpentry, etc) and paying well below the minimum daily wage at that ! (From the Ministry of Labour website:)
"

OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS PROHIBITED FOR FOREIGN WORKERS

THE LIST APPENDED TO THE ROYAL DECREE IN B.E.2522

PRESCRIBING OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS PROHIBITED FOR FOREIGN WORKERS 
1.  Labour work;
3. Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction work;"

Frak - how many decades would you have to work at 50 baht/day in order to (survive to begin with) and save up enough for a plane ticket ? Even if he was sharing meals (eating for free) and sharing accommodations (living for free), it would still take a full year (365 days straight) to earn the equivalent of about 420 GBPs. 
Of course then there'd still be the whole "overstay" issue (at 500 baht a day).

Not to mention that he could simply go to the Embassy for help as well, even if it was just to contact family/friends or some charity organization maybe.

Is the retired postmans name Walter Mitty?

Such a BS story pension 300 a month? Bol++ks, in the photo he looks about retirement age.

So his pension is only 75 pounds a month,i do not get the full pension, but still get more than 40 pounds a week more than that, iffy very iffy.

UK tourist says Thai girlfriend’s theft of documents forced him into manual labour

By The Nation

4bd73fbcfa7b73788023464cf1d59382.jpeg

Tourist Police Bureau deputy commissioner Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakparn (second from left) talks to an officer during a search for illegal immigrants in Bangkok.

A 57-year-old unnamed man of British nationality was arrested by tourist police for overstaying in Thailand, but officers are now investigating whether he was a victim of a theft crime perpetrated by a Thai woman.

Stranded in Thailand without funds, he worked as a labourer on construction sites a Bt50 daily wage after his Thai girlfriend took away his documents and his ATM cards and abandoned him.

Police said the man met a Thai woman during his vacation and was invited to stay at her home in Lop Buri. She then stole all of his documents and ATM cards, leaving him without money and having to work as labourer for a living while saving money to return to his home country.

Tourist Police Bureau deputy commissioner Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakparn raised the man’s plight during a Thursday press conference where he discussed the results of an operation to suppress international criminals.

Surachet said the man told police that he worked as a postman in the UK before travelling to Thailand after retiring. He receives a pension of 300 pounds monthly.

He told police that he found a Thai girlfriend and moved in to her home. After she took his documents and cards, he was unable to get his pension or to travel back to his home country. That left him depending on a Bt50 per day wage as a construction worker.

Surachet has ordered Lop Buri police to investigate the man’s claims as the man wanted to file a lawsuit against his ex-girlfriend for stealing. The police also contacted the British Embassy in Bangkok to assist in his case and facilitate his return journey to the UK.

In discussing the tourist police operation to crack down on illegal immigrants in 28 areas in Bangkok and nearby provinces, Surachet said officers had arrested nine foreigners for violating immigration law.

Three Nigerian nationals were arrested on the charge of entering the country illegally. One Nigerian and one British citizen were charged for overstaying, and four people from Mali were arrested on for illegally staying in Thailand as they were previously banned from entering the country.

Surachet said most of the offenders were involved in international crime networks and connected with drugs dealing, human trafficking and telephone scam.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30335453

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-05

Only 300 Pounds a month, how did he get a visa in the first place. This story is very suspect since he could have canceled the ATM card and gotten a new one quit easily. And 50 baht a day is even below Cambodian standards. 

21 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Only 300 Pounds a month, how did he get a visa in the first place. This story is very suspect since he could have canceled the ATM card and gotten a new one quit easily. And 50 baht a day is even below Cambodian standards. 

He could get a tourist visa , with a return ticket and show B20,000. There's more to this story than shown here.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Is the retired postmans name Walter Mitty?

Such a BS story pension 300 a month? Bol++ks, in the photo he looks about retirement age.

So his pension is only 75 pounds a month,i do not get the full pension, but still get more than 40 pounds a week more than that, iffy very iffy.

Statutory Pension Scheme (RMSPS) and the Royal Mail Pension Plan (RMPP). ..... £26,118 80. £621 x 2.5%. £300 x 2.5%. You also build up a lump sum benefit each year, in a similar manner, of. (typically) three times the value of the pension. 7 ... You will also have the option of taking all your benefits together from age 55.

https://www.royalmailpensionplan.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/rm_section_ab_guide_to_benefits_booklet_pdf_9.08.12.pdf

Many times I've seen farang (Aussie, Brit whatever) give their card & PIN number to a bar girl to go and get money from the ATM. I bet some of these guys never change their PIN either. Isn't there an old saying that men were given a dick & a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time!

We don't know all the facts on this story, & I'd have to say good luck to a compatriot, even if he has been stupid!

The guy is either a bad liar or Simple.

Yes he could be getting basic S.P of £300.00/month if he hasn't paid enough stamps. I however doubt it if he served the Royal Mail till retirement age.He would havegit a lump sum as well.PorkyMan?

Sounds very strange! He should have make a police report or call up his embassy for help in the start but not choose to over stay and work in the construction. Maybe, only himself know what is the truth story behind or he really need some help from us just let’s us know and I’m sure many of us would be happy to help him.

4 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

Sounds very strange! He should have make a police report or call up his embassy for help in the start but not choose to over stay and work in the construction. Maybe, only himself know what is the truth story behind or he really need some help from us just let’s us know and I’m sure many of us would be happy to help him.

I'd be happy to chip in some money to help my fellow countryman. If someone set up a (kosher) fund I'd put 1,000 baht in.

I had an old friend of 15 years who hanged himself in Khon Kaen some years ago, similar situation. Only thing being that my old friend had retired with plenty of money, but was subsequently bled- dry by his Thai family.

11 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

The guy is either a bad liar or Simple.

Yes he could be getting basic S.P of £300.00/month if he hasn't paid enough stamps. I however doubt it if he served the Royal Mail till retirement age.He would havegit a lump sum as well.PorkyMan?

It was not a state pension. He is not old enough for that. Having had one £300 pension allegedly stolen, he must be a total idiot to allow it to happen again and again and..................

At worst he should have lost just the one £300 pension, and managed  for the next month before new money arriived.

DEPORT HIM!

7 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

It was not a state pension. He is not old enough for that. Having had one £300 pension allegedly stolen, he must be a total idiot to allow it to happen again and again and..................

At worst he should have lost just the one £300 pension, and managed  for the next month before new money arriived.

DEPORT HIM!

Yes, but how many of us can put our hand on our heart and say we've never been stupidly generous or wasteful with our Thai ladies?

Although this sounds like an extreme case. As you say, it would be best if he were deported so he can maybe get his life back together in the UK.

Thailand is/has been the best thing that' ever happened to alot of us guys, I'll be heading back to the UK in April quite a bit wealthier than when I arrived here in 1998. (Heading back because I want & need a job, I stopped all the screwing around stuff several years ago, probably the main reason that I still have a fair amount of money behind me).

The postman is one of the guys that Thailand tenderised, chewed-up and spat out!!

Archived