Retired British postman claims Thai woman stole his pension - overstayed working on a construction site!

webfact

You cam imagine the rage of a Thai woman after taking him into the bosom of the family only to find he really did have just 13k baht a month to live on.

If he has no friends or family in the UK, all he has to look forward to is life in a hostel with druggies etc, presuming the Thais just kick him out and black-llst him, or perhaps a bedsit if he gets lucky and finds someone to take him on housing benefit.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

He could have had his ATM card cancelled within minutes of noticing it was gone, even if it was from a bank "back home". One phone call is all it takes.

I've called my bank (back home) and credit card company (a few times) over the past 20+ years and that's all it took to get the situation resolved. One call. 

The article doesn't say when the card was "stolen" (or how she knew the PIN, or why he couldn't make that one phone call). Surely he wasn't one of those trying to get by on just 300 GBP (about 13,000 baht) per month with no other savings ? Not to mention the whole "visa/extension of stay" issue.

Just recently  (6 weeks ago) I left my ATM card in a machine by accident. I was in a hurry and using a machine from a different bank and somehow forget to remove the card. Discovered my error the next day when I was 3 provinces away. Called a buddy who went to the machine and, naturally, the card was gone.

Made one phone call to the bank. The lady I spoke to asked my details (name, birthday, passport #) and then cancelled the card. She gave me the account balance as well and it sounded like the right amount. When I got home I went to the bank and was issued a new card (and set a new PIN) and was done in 5 minutes. No problems at all.

Working at a construction site for 50 baht a day ? That sounds pretty hokey as well. I'd be questioning the "boss" of that crew as to why he was hiring foreigners to work in Thai-specific jobs (like masonry, carpentry, etc) and paying well below the minimum daily wage at that ! (From the Ministry of Labour website:)
"

OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS PROHIBITED FOR FOREIGN WORKERS

THE LIST APPENDED TO THE ROYAL DECREE IN B.E.2522

PRESCRIBING OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS PROHIBITED FOR FOREIGN WORKERS 
1.  Labour work;
3. Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction work;"

Frak - how many decades would you have to work at 50 baht/day in order to (survive to begin with) and save up enough for a plane ticket ? Even if he was sharing meals (eating for free) and sharing accommodations (living for free), it would still take a full year (365 days straight) to earn the equivalent of about 420 GBPs. 
Of course then there'd still be the whole "overstay" issue (at 500 baht a day).

Not to mention that he could simply go to the Embassy for help as well, even if it was just to contact family/friends or some charity organization maybe.

NOT that easy for someone who seems NOT be the sharpest knife in the drawer...:coffee1:

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Many times I've seen farang (Aussie, Brit whatever) give their card & PIN number to a bar girl to go and get money from the ATM. I bet some of these guys never change their PIN either. Isn't there an old saying that men were given a dick & a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time!

We don't know all the facts on this story, & I'd have to say good luck to a compatriot, even if he has been stupid!

It's a BS story. I have lost my ATM card before and had it canceled and replaced quickly Don't need any documents simply call 800 number or go online and have it canceled and reissued. I can also go to my retirement office online change bank info or banks and tell them to deposit in a different bank. If he's too stupid to know how to do that then shouldn't be living here.

5 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

It's a BS story. I have lost my ATM card before and had it canceled and replaced quickly Don't need any documents simply call 800 number or go online and have it canceled and reissued. I can also go to my retirement office online change bank info or banks and tell them to deposit in a different bank. If he's too stupid to know how to do that then shouldn't be living here.

Maybe he's not too stupid to know that he cannot open a new bank account with no documentation?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said the man met a Thai woman during his vacation and was invited to stay at her home in Lop Buri. She then stole all of his documents and ATM cards, leaving him without money and having to work as labourer for a living while saving money to return to his home country.

What I find puzzling is that, assuming (as seems likely) that he originally entered LOS on the basis of a 30-day stamp, how come he was allowed to board his flight from Heathrow (or wherever) on the basis of a one-way ticket?

As others have said, there is probably more to this story than meets the eye.

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Maybe he's not too stupid to know that he cannot open a new bank account with no documentation?

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Well then too stupid to prepare for that possibility.  I have 2 different banks in USA and Bangkok Bank here. I need no documentation to order my retirement pension sent in whole or partially to any of the 3 banks. In worse case they might have me call a toll free number to verify security questions already given them before I came over. If a bank here he would go into the branch he opened his account and they would have his photo and signature and passport info on file . He then could close that account and have pension deposited in a new one. You can only be ripped off taken advantage of if you don't have safeguards in place and give the person the ability to screw you over.

PS: He could have gone to Brit Embassy and they could have contacted Postoffice Retirement Board (another GOV agency , informed  them of the problem and they have his records , photo ID ect on file and could make arrangements to have pension sent to him.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Is the retired postmans name Walter Mitty?

Such a BS story pension 300 a month? Bol++ks, in the photo he looks about retirement age.

So his pension is only 75 pounds a month,i do not get the full pension, but still get more than 40 pounds a week more than that, iffy very iffy.

surely you meant £75 a week?, he said £300 a month divided by 4

Very iffy. Working for THB50 per day - no body in their right mind subjects themselves to such humiliating treatment. Even if this woman stole any money already in his account it should be impossible for it to continue unless of course the guy is a complete muppett, Whoops, he was supposedly working for THB50 per day, say no more.

They post some trash don't they?....He don't look old enough to be a pensioner...or do they retire them early so we can read this like this Beano and Dandy.?...honestly whoever decides to put up this kind of reporting does not say a lot about the truthfulness ..just read it again and it's like fake reporting...even the wording reads suspicious! :-) Happy New Year folks!

Sent from my HUAWEI LUA-L21 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

31 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Well then too stupid to prepare for that possibility. 

If a bank here he would go into the branch he opened his account and they would have his photo and signature and passport info on file . He then could close that account and have pension deposited in a new one. 

PS: He could have gone to Brit Embassy and they could have contacted Postoffice Retirement Board (another GOV agency , informed  them of the problem and they have his records , photo ID ect on file and could make arrangements to have pension sent to him.

Unfortunately not everyone can be as sharp and clever as you.

Without his original passport no bank here would open an account for him, or even close an existing account, regardless of whether he was an existing customer.

Even with the, very doubtful, intervention of the Embassy (they are not there to do what you suggest they would do), how, exactly, would his pension be 'sent to him' without a bank account?

His pension was £300 (not Baht) a month.  The most likely scenario is that he naively trusted his partner to manage the finances allowing her access to card and pin. Moving to Thailand he may have converted as much as possible into a lump sum (presumably also gone) - I would suspect he was already out working illegally as well giving his partner plenty of unrestricted access.  British people are often much more trusting of their loved ones - my civil partner has joint access to most of our current checking and savings accounts as well as being an authorised second user on our credit cards.  I do manage all my accounts online pretty much daily on my phone so would notice any anomalies but that is simply because I manage the money  not out of any mistrust.  I know other couples where the wife manages all the money.

Easy to mock and distrust a man who is obviously down on his luck (& not too sharp either!)

But I - in my heart of heart moment would be willing to offer him employment at three times his current dayrate, dirty, hard work but he would have a ticket back to the UK in around 5 months - providing he didn't fritter his money away on food!

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Well then too stupid to prepare for that possibility.  I have 2 different banks in USA and Bangkok Bank here. I need no documentation to order my retirement pension sent in whole or partially to any of the 3 banks. In worse case they might have me call a toll free number to verify security questions already given them before I came over. If a bank here he would go into the branch he opened his account and they would have his photo and signature and passport info on file . He then could close that account and have pension deposited in a new one. You can only be ripped off taken advantage of if you don't have safeguards in place and give the person the ability to screw you over.

Its NOT about what you understand and are able to - its all about what Postman Pat do NOT know or is NOT able to....

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes, but how many of us can put our hand on our heart and say we've never been stupidly generous or wasteful with our Thai ladies?

Although this sounds like an extreme case. As you say, it would be best if he were deported so he can maybe get his life back together in the UK.

Thailand is/has been the best thing that' ever happened to alot of us guys, I'll be heading back to the UK in April quite a bit wealthier than when I arrived here in 1998. (Heading back because I want & need a job, I stopped all the screwing around stuff several years ago, probably the main reason that I still have a fair amount of money behind me).

The postman is one of the guys that Thailand tenderised, chewed-up and spat out!!

We aren't really in control of what life throws at us, life is a movie and we are the screen watching it unfold, enjoy it but like the screen stand a little back from it all.

Sad story, good luck Brit guy.   Wonder why when he was working for that construction company he did not ask for the minimum 300 Bhat per day wage?     Guess he was just happy to get anything.    

12 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

Sad story, good luck Brit guy.   Wonder why when he was working for that construction company he did not ask for the minimum 300 Bhat per day wage?     Guess he was just happy to get anything.    

It may be that 50thb a day in the hand is just a part of it after a place to sleep and a few meals a day are deducted...

Anyway - the rule is actually very simple - if you are not able to take care of yourself in Your homecountry then Thailand is NOT the Place to start learning it....

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Easy to mock and distrust a man who is obviously down on his luck (& not too sharp either!)

But I - in my heart of heart moment would be willing to offer him employment at three times his current dayrate, dirty, hard work but he would have a ticket back to the UK in around 5 months - providing he didn't fritter his money away on food!

What a fine gentleman you are! It's impossible that the guy was working for 50 baht a day, perhaps 50 baht an hour. Even in the poorest areas like Sisaket, people make around 200- 300 baht per day in construction.

You, on the other hand are so kind that you'd let him work for 150 baht a day. Would you have mentioned anything more than 500 baht, my post wouldn't be written.

You're certainly not somebody others wanna call friend. 

1 hour ago, David in the north said:

It is people like this who are making it harder for those of us that do abide by the rules

I clicked on "sad", because that's what your post is. How can you be proud of this guy's misfortune? How does he make your life miserable, or give you a bad name? 

Archived