What is really a Pah Cha forest?

BrownShrike

Since I've moved to Ubon, I take advantage of the outdoors even though there is not much. I find myself running and walking inside the forests quite often since the air is fresh,  shaded from the sun, quiet and no human contact whatsoever. Not to mention the very little wildlife that these forests hold makes it more soothing. That being said, I was told that majority of the forests that I enjoy going to are haunted according to Thais, that would explain why nobody is ever around.

I've worked in the ER back in the states for 5 years and one of my job duties was to transport expired patients from the hospital to the morgue. Never did I experience any superstitious activity in my 5 years working there. I have experienced a few small unusual things here since living in Thailand but nothing too crazy to have people startled. Most of the time within a few days everything stops. That being said, I am not a strong believer and neither am I convinced of the superstitious beliefs people craze about.

I don't go out my way to disrespect their beliefs about ghosts but I just can't stand being told not to go here and there because of their strong beliefs. Nothing has ever happened to me in these forests except only for a few mosquito and spider bites. Not to mention, if they truly respect these forests, why are they trashed with shoes, ceramics, trash most of the time? Last time I came upon a dead cat which I believe someone tossed in the forest alongside a mountain full of used baby diapers. What a way to respect the forest if you tell me.

A few times during my walks into the forests I find myself running into strong stenches that I just can't seem to find. From what I am told is the bodies of deceased people that are ''poor" get buried in these grounds. So what I'm starting to realize is, most of my walks/runs into these forests are actually big cemeteries.

Are these "pah cha" everywhere or only in forests?

I have been to a forest burial a few years ago. The deceased had been shot by the police for selling drugs and hand guns. I was told that sometimes when a person suffered a violent death they would be buried for 7 years and then dug up and cremated. 

When I went to the cremation it's was strange, first we all went to the forest and the dug the man up. They cleaned his bones the bullet hole in his head was clearly visible . He was then taken to the temple and burnt.

From what I am told after you die you still believe you are alive until you are cremated. This is why Thai's believe any area which contains  burials is full of ghosts.

Mick: That's very interesting and unusual to me, never heard of something similar to what you experienced but I fully believe you. I noticed certain villages even have their own rituals and beliefs as well. 

Then there is the belief that once someone dies in a house here, the monks are called upon to pray around the area as well as place a string around the whole building. Thais will not be around for 3-4 days I believe, scared that the ghost might come back in those days.

I learn something every day here.

We do the string thing in our village too. Sometimes I find it hard not to laugh at the strange things that are done to prevent ghosts from causing problems. But it is very important to my wife, so I am never critical of her beliefs.

Our village has been  terrorised by three ghosts who ride a motorbike.  Any road accident is always blamed on them.

My wife cannot understand why I wouldn't believe that ghosts are not everywhere around the village.

Archived