Best shops in BKK for genuine second hand rolex?

hello55060

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

Are the retail prices the same here in Thailand? I do not want to walk in a Rolex shop here just to find out they have the Milgauss Z-Blue (do they have it here?) but just 50,000 more expensive than in Europe.

If you go to the Rolex site on the Internet for Thailand they have the prices there so you can check

On 2/13/2018 at 10:12 PM, Just Weird said:

Or you could get a taxi to Wireless Road to the official Rolex shop which sells exactly the same watches as the Swiss shops.

The Wireless road premises are not Watch retailers, they (S.A.B.) can ONLY service the watches, in fact, they are the only place in Bangkok that are officially allowed to do so, they do have watches on display, however, they do not sell them.

15 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

Are the retail prices the same here in Thailand? I do not want to walk in a Rolex shop here just to find out they have the Milgauss Z-Blue (do they have it here?) but just 50,000 more expensive than in Europe.

Rolex theoretically have a worldwide pricing policy in place, so genuine dealers should be selling at the same retail price, any differences would be on VAT.

You may get a discount on a Gold or Bi-Metal watch, doubtful on a stainless one.

Yes they are more expensive in Thailand than in Europe.

No Rolex dealer anywhere will discount a stainless steel sports model more than a token gesture amount unless its to a very good/regular customer. As mentioned you will have better luck with bi-metal and solid metal models, especially DJ's and very much Sky Dwellers which imo will be a future collector piece due to v low sales.

For browsing and friendly sales people I find for all high end makes the boutiques/counters in Emporium are most helpful. I mean just walking in with casual clothes on and not wearing an expensive watch already. If you're doing either of those then any of the locations/boutiques will be friendly, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Rolex have a MRSP, ( along with all the other brands in the group)

That minimum price is a global number with only the VAT changing. Note this is a minimum price, and in Thailand there is a premium for the brand, so expect MRSP +

Below the MRSP no official Rolex dealer is allowed to sell below, and if they do and are caught they will lose their official dealer status.

Now lets discuss a bit about copies, without doubt the very best I have seen were in Taiwan, and not particularly cheap, think in hundreds of USD for the very best copies.

As to second hand, some of the most discounted second hand watches I found in Japan ( you are VERY unlikely to find fakes - as if caught arrest is guaranteed )

I am not a huge Rolex fan, but bought the missus a very nice Corum, cost new 680 000 JPY, second hand with papers and box and 6 month guarantee 140 000 JPY.

YES YES YES I know that Japan is not Thailand, but would be my recommendation for second hand watches.

Alternatively look at the multitude of collector auctions in UK and other places and consider perhaps an older timepiece, some of the earlier Rolex are much cheaper than you think. I picked up an early model, needing winder, glass replacement and strap ( as well as service ) many moons ago for something like 120GBP. Using a Non-official Rolex repairer, all sorted for less than 200 more. ( OK got lucky on that one)

On 2/7/2018 at 5:38 PM, Naam said:

some people just don't get it that a watch can be much more than a time-piece.

Naam,

Would you pleas take a moment and explain what you mean by this post.      I'm aware of what another poster said with "The wife didn't get the watch to tell the time. Doesn't matter if it goes or not. Just a fashion statement; as with a Rolex."

Is that the  general focus  of  your post?

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:
On 2/7/2018 at 5:38 PM, Naam said:

some people just don't get it that a watch can be much more than a time-piece.

Naam,

Would you pleas take a moment and explain what you mean by this post.      I'm aware of what another poster said with "The wife didn't get the watch to tell the time. Doesn't matter if it goes or not. Just a fashion statement; as with a Rolex."

Is that the  general focus  of  your post?

after six months i don't remember to which post i commented. but i agree with the poster who said "The wife didn't get the watch to tell the time" and at the same time i strongly disagree with "Doesn't matter if it goes or not."

let me add that i consider the style of Rolexes horrible. nothing of the class of an Audemar Piquet, Cartier, Patek Philippe or Piaget.

Virat Watch @ MBK (Mah Boon Krong Mall near Siam stop on BTS)

3rd Floor - Big Fat Porky Pig Thai Chinese Guy runs it and has showcases

full of Rollie and Patek.

There are a cluster of high end watch dealers right around him as well.

I've got a Rolex collection that would choke an Arab Sheik 

but not longer need the feel for bling after stacking my chips so 

high.

oH!

On 1/17/2019 at 6:34 AM, JimmyTheMook said:

Virat Watch @ MBK (Mah Boon Krong Mall near Siam stop on BTS)

3rd Floor - Big Fat Porky Pig Thai Chinese Guy runs it and has showcases

full of Rollie and Patek.

There are a cluster of high end watch dealers right around him as well.

I've got a Rolex collection that would choke an Arab Sheik 

but not longer need the feel for bling after stacking my chips so 

high.

oH!

He does have great stock but is exceptionally rude and expensive.

Papaya are much nicer to deal with.

https://www.instagram.com/papayawatch/?hl=en

There are also half a dozen dealers on the ground floor of Central World.321852790_Screenshot2019-01-18at08_51_12.png.10d339c541e1f076503654c935a17f88.png

• 3 months later...

To add - nearly all of the used dealers at Central World have moved to the 5th floor and are located right next to each other, such as Thong Patek, Time Masterpieces, Time Zone etc. 

RAZZ

• 1 month later...

I just had an Explorer II at the Rolex Service Center at Witthayu Road.

I took about 5 weeks and they charged 22,000 THB, which they told me is the same price as in every country.

After the Service, the watch has a 2 year international guarantee.

In general, mechanical watches should have a service ( lubricants, sealing rings, etc. ) every 5 - 7 years.

When buying a second hand Rolex ( or any other mechanical watch ), I would check when the last service was done.

2 hours ago, Nick Thakam said:

I just had an Explorer II at the Rolex Service Center at Witthayu Road.

I took about 5 weeks and they charged 22,000 THB, which they told me is the same price as in every country.

After the Service, the watch has a 2 year international guarantee.

In general, mechanical watches should have a service ( lubricants, sealing rings, etc. ) every 5 - 7 years.

When buying a second hand Rolex ( or any other mechanical watch ), I would check when the last service was done.

Rolex recommends service every 10 years.

i would also find an independent watchmaker that you trust and have it serviced for about 40% less than the price of a RSC.

15 hours ago, Airalee said:

Rolex recommends service every 10 years.

i would also find an independent watchmaker that you trust and have it serviced for about 40% less than the price of a RSC.

If you know a good watchmaker, then by all means use them for the regular servicing, but, if buying a high end second hand watch, I'd rather see a certificate from the official service centre, guaranteeing a full service was done, than some receipt from a possibly unknown to me watchmaker.  For example, the full Omega service, also around 22,000 baht, involves stripping down the whole movement, ultrasonic cleaning of the parts, with replacement of any worn ones at no extra cost, and refurbishment of the case and strap.  All replaced parts are returned with the serviced watch as proof it was done, and a 2 year warranty given.  I recently had my 20 year old Speedmaster done at their Wittahyu service centre, and they even replaced the bevel, which had some scratches on it.  It now not only looks like new, it actually keeps better time than when new too.  No matter how the watch was treated previously, or what third party parts may have been used in previous services, the official one guarantees that you are buying a fully functional, genuine, watch.

Why would anyone want to buy a secondhand Rolex, when there are dozens of new ones for sale in Nong Khai? Maybe other places too. But at the market they are less than 1000k baht. Don't think certificates of authenticity are issued; but could ask, probably charge a bit extra.

4 hours ago, ballpoint said:

If you know a good watchmaker, then by all means use them for the regular servicing, but, if buying a high end second hand watch, I'd rather see a certificate from the official service centre, guaranteeing a full service was done, than some receipt from a possibly unknown to me watchmaker.  For example, the full Omega service, also around 22,000 baht, involves stripping down the whole movement, ultrasonic cleaning of the parts, with replacement of any worn ones at no extra cost, and refurbishment of the case and strap.  All replaced parts are returned with the serviced watch as proof it was done, and a 2 year warranty given.  I recently had my 20 year old Speedmaster done at their Wittahyu service centre, and they even replaced the bevel, which had some scratches on it.  It now not only looks like new, it actually keeps better time than when new too.  No matter how the watch was treated previously, or what third party parts may have been used in previous services, the official one guarantees that you are buying a fully functional, genuine, watch.

Fair enough.  I can agree with you...especially when buying a watch here in Thailand.  All my watches were purchased from reputable dealers in the US and Japan so I’m sure they are genuine.  Not so sure I would feel as comfortable here so yes...an official Omega service would probably be a good thing when buying (and selling).

Anyhow...nice to see another Omega fan here on the Rolex thread. I hope we don’t get chased away.  I don’t have a Speedmaster (3 hand die-hard here) but do have a PO2500, 3 Railmasters and a couple Aqua Terras including this rare gem (2504.70)

0416D9D9-62CC-4D01-8CD2-D4DF8860BD74.jpeg

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Why would anyone want to buy a secondhand Rolex, when there are dozens of new ones for sale in Nong Khai? Maybe other places too. But at the market they are less than 1000k baht. Don't think certificates of authenticity are issued; but could ask, probably charge a bit extra.

Lots of reasons, actually.

1.  Next to impossible to find sport models for sale and waiting lists are years long.  If you can find a new Daytona for sale at a Rolex boutique for MSRP...buy it...because you’ll be able to sell it the next day for a lot more.

2.  Some people don’t like the newer case designs (Submariner for example)

3.  Some models aren’t made any more.  Like these...

AA01D7FA-ACC5-480E-BE75-6AB5AE749C30.jpeg

When we at the duty free in Nong Khai a couple of years back Mrs Owl said she wanted a watch. At one particular stall they had at least 10 Rolex for under 1k baht. She looked them over but decided on a 'Rado'. Lovely little thing it is too, I'll give her that; but not a Rolex. She didn't care about Rolex or any other make we farang are familiar with. I was quite chuffed to get away with only spending 800 baht.

Anyway, last month, in Penn, she went to a watch-seller - who had a little shop - to get a link taken out. He told the Mrs that it was authentic Rado and was worth at least 5k baht.

I don't profess to know anything about watches. I only ever had one, and that was from Lidl with a cartoon face. Chucked it when the battery ran out.

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

1.  Next to impossible to find sport models for sale and waiting lists are years long.  If you can find a new Daytona for sale at a Rolex boutique for MSRP...buy it...because you’ll be able to sell it the next day for a lot more.

Notice that Rolex hold their price so well. Suddenly I'm taking Interesting. What is MSRP?

46 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

When we at the duty free in Nong Khai a couple of years back Mrs Owl said she wanted a watch. At one particular stall they had at least 10 Rolex for under 1k baht. She looked them over but decided on a 'Rado'. Lovely little thing it is too, I'll give her that; but not a Rolex. She didn't care about Rolex or any other make we farang are familiar with. I was quite chuffed to get away with only spending 800 baht.

Anyway, last month, in Penn, she went to a watch-seller - who had a little shop - to get a link taken out. He told the Mrs that it was authentic Rado and was worth at least 5k baht.

I don't profess to know anything about watches. I only ever had one, and that was from Lidl with a cartoon face. Chucked it when the battery ran out.

Notice that Rolex hold their price so well. Suddenly I'm taking Interesting. What is MSRP?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those watches at the stall...not real...even the Rado.

MSRP = Manufacturers suggested retail price 

Rolex Daytona MSRP (Thailand) ฿440,200  Street Price....฿600,000+   Out of my league for sure,

18 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those watches at the stall...not real...even the Rado.

MSRP = Manufacturers suggested retail price 

Rolex Daytona MSRP (Thailand) ฿440,200  Street Price....฿600,000+   Out of my league for sure,

And up. Touching 800,00k here now.

RAZZ

Archived