Phuket beach banishment drama - hotel within their rights, say district officials

webfact

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

OK guys who believe it is not private. Let me ask you a question.

I know people who own Islands. Is their beach part of the island they own or public? They feel they own it. And people who come by boat have to request by marine radio to be allowed to go on the beach. But if people stay below high tide mark the island owners know there is nothing they can do. Some people are aware of this and do come at low tide and use the beach with no problem. Some even have fires on the beach. But high tide comes  and all i s washed away like they were never there.

I also know people who own islands and it all depends on the location of the island.

If the island is located outside the 12 nautical miles territorial waters of a country then basically it is a country of its own because it is in international waters and it then has the same maritime 12 nautical miles territorial limit out to sea from the low water mark and no one is allowed to enter that 12 nautical miles limit without the owner of the islands permission

Off course some Hotels have private Beaches all around TH. With Land Title. Engagement to maintenence and manage this on her cost.  Some Blokes here have weird Fantasy about this. Its allowed to everybody pass this beaches but does not mean, to stay there.

If a hotel claims they have a private beach, and I pay a premium for "a hotel with private beach", then I would like to think it's a private beach.  If I'm "bending nickels" and pay half (or less) for a hotel, with no beach...then public beach it is.  Where's the issue?  I'd be choked if I was expecting the private beach, the "soi dogs" made camp, and wandering Chinese mega tours started a beach, kid crapping contest.... 

As far as I am aware there is no such thing as a private beach in Thailand although a lot of resorts  that are located on the beach front claim or advertise that the beach is private , it was always my understanding that all the beaches in the Kingdom belong to the King , is this not the case ?????

21 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

They can put up a fence to the high water mark on the beach. That is where ownership of land should end as there is no point in owning land that is underwater. Maybe a Thai surveyor could give a better definition?

I don't think that they can fence to the high water mark, I believe that they must leave an area as access for people to be able to walk through without walking in the water. I know in Australia there must be 100 feet clear walking space above the high water mark open to the public as an access

6 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

If a hotel claims they have a private beach, and I pay a premium for "a hotel with private beach", then I would like to think it's a private beach.  If I'm "bending nickels" and pay half (or less) for a hotel, with no beach...then public beach it is.  Where's the issue?  I'd be choked if I was expecting the private beach, the "soi dogs" made camp, and wandering Chinese mega tours started a beach, kid crapping contest.... 

Or the elephants, or the one  that sells hammocks, or or or

‘Private beach’ in front of Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket

“However, after checking thoroughly, the beach that appears to be public land, is covered in the resort’s land deed all the way to the sea."

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

The video of Facebook user Aziz Yotharak, who uploaded a post of a tourist being asked to move from the ‘private’ beach in front of Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket, has gone viral whilst the resort denies that they ordered the staff to chase the tourist and his children off the beach.

The video shows the tourist with two children sitting on a mat on the beach in front of Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket, being asked from the staff of the resort to move out as the space is ‘private property’. The tourist also comments on the video that the beach ‘cannot possibly belong to a hotel’.

Meanwhile, Ma-Ann Samran, President of the Cherngtalay OrBorTor, has commented on the matter saying that he went to discuss the matter with hotel management.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/private-beach-front-dusit-thani-laguna-phuket

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-01-08
5 hours ago, Happy enough said:

top photo, sign says private property

Top photo also shows survey marker saying it’s hotel’s property. 

Sign says private property, survey marker says same, so why not just comply and enjoy a swim further up the beach. 

I didn't think anyone could 'own' the beach areas in Thailand,maybe I'm wrong,I thought most were 'rented' from either the Buddhists or the local 'government gaffers',and as pointed out by another poster,the King,so called,owns all beach areas,again, maybe it's something I was told and believed,  from years ago,many down south Hua Hin way do belong to the Buddhists,or,that's what I was told by locals who were renting the beach areas. 

7 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Top photo also shows survey marker saying it’s hotel’s property. 

Sign says private property, survey marker says same, so why not just comply and enjoy a swim further up the beach. 

Probably because as cash gets involved all the beach could end up eventually becoming 'private'.

3 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Seriously, I really do not know what this is all about!

I think,shouldn't do that really, what's happening is 'big cash' is taking over,as it does every where,and the public areas are shrinking, it could end up with most of the beach areas becoming private.

Archived