Overstaying Brit arrested after death of Pattaya bar girl is convicted rapist on the run from UK police

webfact

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, soalbundy said:

doesn't sound overly strange to me, we can't all be called Smith or Jones

I've had clients with this name.  They were Maltese. You only have to look at his brother's name......Andrayoss.  Very Smith or Jones type name.

7 hours ago, z42 said:

Sounds like a case of drunken naughtiness gone horribly wrong. The bloke obviously stupid for not helping her and fleeing the scene, but maybe he was aware that the local cops' ill repute would likely have him stitched up for something had he stuck around.

And it is sad how Thai suspects are able to cover their faces with hats, sunglasses and surgical masks when they get lifted while this guy's mug is viewable by all and sundry.

RIP to the girl, this guy is toast now and probably not for the reasons he should be. A sad case all round

Everyone is entitled to privacy until formally charged, after the charge has been set, as it has been in this case, they are no longer entitled to that privacy, we see pictures of Thais who have been charged all the time, the ones who are covered are still being questioned.

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Thank you. One poster is more concerned that he rented the bike as well! It's like the first few posters are more concerned that this piece of scum Brit might further degrade the British reputation in Pattaya. I'm sure others will try to defend this loser as well. Is his name British enough for some posters? 

RIP to the girl. No one deserves this. 

He is just another quality tourist that never should have made it into Thailand.  

Is his name British enough for some posters? 

Reece Vella and a brother named Andrayoss. No, not really, but these days who isn’t British?

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt and accepting this as a simple accident, how COULD he stick around?  The police would uncover the overstay and the UK warrant.  Running was his only option, stick around & he's boned.

He didn't run very far or very fast though.

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

How on earth would anybody's UK (or any other country) criminal convictions be accessible by a Thai immigration officer at a border post / airport entry point?

It's an interesting question that probably only someone with law enforcement background could answer.

Obviously, as you point out, Thai Immigration doesn't have access to the criminal warrant or conviction files of the UK or every other country around the world. Just like the UK doesn't have access to outstanding criminal warrants or past convictions that occurred in Thailand.

BUT.... if I'm UK law enforcement and I know or believe a suspect with a warrant out for their arrest has fled the country, isn't there somewhere like Interpol or elsewhere that I can file an alert/notice that would get seen by Immigration/law enforcement in other countries???

Perhaps Interpol, out of necessity, only has their system dealing with the bigger, more notorious cases. But I thought there was some international method of dealing with the more routine stuff as well.

This type of behaviour is nothing new in British society of today as most of the younger generation have zero values in life other than their own. It's a sad fact that British people are looked down upon around the world as low lifes these days, who also lack manners, even politeness to others is something rarely witnessed & we only have ourselves to blame for it. This is so apparent when they travel overseas on holiday & their behaviour is apalling. I was once proud to be British & proud of the fact that I served my country in the military for 20+ yrs, now I'm even ashamed to admit it! Just look at the UK today to what it was say 50yrs ago when the UK was safe place to live & raise kids. All this politically correct bullshit, a justice system that no longer has penalties that fit the crimes committed, rape cases of children & young girls are at an all time high, no go areas, which are tolerated by the police, the disrespect for authority, immigration at intolerable levels & a mixture of cultures who will always be at each other throats etc etc. I could go on & on about our country which was once a great place to live. It's not that the times have changed it's our society that has imploded by useless politics, segregated schools, immigrants that do not & will not respect our culture or laws ever, the lack of discipline in schools, in the home & workplace. I doubt if the multicultural younger generations in the UK have any idea what honesty, integrity & loyalty even means, as it's definitely no longer in today's vocabulary. The way things are in UK & we can only blame ourselves for younger generation's behaviour due to our politics of tolerance of others, politically correct idiots in parliament, our policy on immigration & tolerance of allowing cultural beliefs, which are foreign to the UK, to take over our values etc in society today breeds youngsters that are totally out of control. Sadly, this lad is part of that generation who we have failed to make sure he has had the right start in life. Condolences to the young ladies family, which must be absolutely devastating to them, knowing full well that their future will continue to suffer hardships due to her passing ... RIP. 

Regarding his name, he may be British but from his brothers name and surname his family may have Greek/Maltese routes . Also his first name 'Reece' and his accent heard on the Police video are distinctly Welsh sounding . Yes is still Britain but not English . Not really of great importance either way , nor is the fact that I am English and don't get in trouble/smoke/drink or drugs. In fact I came to LOS to get away from all the dregs..Looks like they followed me unfortunately. 

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's an interesting question that probably only someone with law enforcement background could answer.

Obviously, as you point out, Thai Immigration doesn't have access to the criminal warrant or conviction files of the UK or every other country around the world. Just like the UK doesn't have access to outstanding criminal warrants or past convictions that occurred in Thailand.

BUT.... if I'm UK law enforcement and I know or believe a suspect with a warrant out for their arrest has fled the country, isn't there somewhere like Interpol or elsewhere that I can file an alert/notice that would get seen by Immigration/law enforcement in other countries???

Perhaps Interpol, out of necessity, only has their system dealing with the bigger, more notorious cases. But I thought there was some international method of dealing with the more routine stuff as well.

Yes, The UK could send a request to Interpol for a "Red Notice" which after standard compliance checks is sent to law enforcement agencies around the world.  It is a request to provisionally arrest and detail a person awaiting extradition.

There are no outstanding "Red Notices" for Reece Vella 

18 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

I've had clients with this name.  They were Maltese. You only have to look at his brother's name......Andrayoss.  Very Smith or Jones type name.

I love it, to be English you have to have an " English" name or your not really "English". And yet the Great Britain team at the London, England Olympics 2012 won 24 of the 65 medals by immigrants.  Do you plan to send the medals back to their land of origin?  

There's some real biased theories about BG's on this thread, most of them not nice . 

Regarding passport control I must say its a bit worrying that even with a warrant out for arrest someone can just skip the country without it getting flagged at UK passport control on exit, unless there ARE measures to block them and he used a fake/another persons passport. ?

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The man was already  guilty of an immigration offence simply by being present in Thailand as he was in an a inadmissible class. He lied to gain entry.

Back in my days of visit exempt entries here, I don't recall ever having to make any kind of representation about having or not having any criminal history of convictions or outstanding warrants... I don't have either, btw....

My point is, AFAIK, you just walk up to the Immigration counter with your arrival card listing your name, passport number, etc, the Immigration officer looks at your nationality and passport, and determines you're eligible for visa exempt, perhaps checks your visa exempt history in their system now because of the current entry limits, and then stamps you in.

No oral questions to answer. No questionnaire to fill out. Not for visa exempt.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Pity the UK police force(s) looking for him can't catch him before he flees the UK. Pity the UKBF don't bother with exit checks on passports. Relying on checking air line passenger lists doesn't seem to stop the fugitives from leaving as plenty seem to get caught overseas. 

And, we assume that he entered Thailand on a visa waiver 30 days? If so, was his passport flagged up as wanted by the UK? Had the UK done anything to alert other countries?

The UK seems too preoccupied with Brexit than address the points you have sensibly and righfully mentioned.

14 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Regarding his name, he may be British but from his brothers name and surname his family may have Greek/Maltese routes . Also his first name 'Reece' and his accent heard on the Police video are distinctly Welsh sounding . Yes is still Britain but not English . Not really of great importance either way , nor is the fact that I am English and don't get in trouble/smoke/drink or drugs. In fact I came to LOS to get away from all the dregs..Looks like they followed me unfortunately. 

Brit' tabloids are reporting he's from Birmingham and was living in Worcester just prior to arriving in Thailand .. 

someone commented on the lack of Brit bashing earlier in the thread... 555... I think he had reading issues, because I can see a ton of it.

and more, overt suggestions (verging on baying for blood) of double standards for penalties relating to farang convictions....

The guy has been charged with negligence causing death to another.... (last time I saw this charge was in relation to an auto accident, I think).... he has not been convicted... yet

i know from the thread, that most seem intent on repenalizing him for his previous crimes, which is wonderful... very good... but perhaps inappropriate.

the reality is that a good defense might see this guy walk with a minor sentence, as surely the prosecution have to prove that his story is contrived, because he has confessed to a bit of stupidity so far, not much more... and the stupidity seems demonstrable. (Ie, consensual sex in a stupid position)

everything else mentioned by posters, from the probable thru to damn aliens, is as yet, unsubstantiated conjecture.... and that on its own is fine... speculate away... but do try to avoid hanging the man pre trial

yesterday it was lock him up and toss the key... today I see someone suggesting that he be hung, drawn and quartered, or worse. (was William Wallace Gibson castrated and disembowelled as well?). I’m concerned about the sanity of anyone suggesting such horrendous things... what’s in your head, man? 

if convicted on the current evidence, expect the sentence to be 18 to 30 months incarceration... then off you pop, with a wai and a wave... a la Thai style.

2 minutes ago, farcanell said:

someone commented on the lack of Brit bashing earlier in the thread... 555... I think he had reading issues, because I can see a ton of it.

and more, overt suggestions (verging on baying for blood) of double standards for penalties relating to farang convictions....

The guy has been charged with negligence causing death to another.... (last time I saw this charge was in relation to an auto accident, I think).... he has not been convicted... yet

i know from the thread, that most seem intent on repenalizing him for his previous crimes, which is wonderful... very good... but perhaps inappropriate.

the reality is that a good defense might see this guy walk with a minor sentence, as surely the prosecution have to prove that his story is contrived, because he has confessed to a bit of stupidity so far, not much more... and the stupidity seems demonstrable. (Ie, consensual sex in a stupid position)

everything else mentioned by posters, from the probable thru to damn aliens, is as yet, unsubstantiated conjecture.... and that on its own is fine... speculate away... but do try to avoid hanging the man pre trial

yesterday it was lock him up and toss the key... today I see someone suggesting that he be hung, drawn and quartered, or worse. (was William Wallace Gibson castrated and disembowelled as well?). I’m concerned about the sanity of anyone suggesting such horrendous things... what’s in your head, man? 

if convicted on the current evidence, expect the sentence to be 18 to 30 months incarceration... then off you pop, with a wai and a wave... a la Thai style.

I think A life sentence in Thai jail will easily be enough for him

He should have never been in the Country in the first place! I never understand why the British government lets criminals freely travel as soon as they are released from prison.

Lee Aldhouse, Patrick Molloy etc

They come here wreak havoc and this board has many who rush to their defense because they are British.

In America, once a criminal is released from prison they are not allowed to leave the state, must report to a probation officer regularly, and absolutely no chance of getting a passport for several years.

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

How on earth would anybody's UK (or any other country) criminal convictions be accessible by a Thai immigration officer at a border post / airport entry point?

He has outstanding warrants for his other UK crimes.... You might think those would register even if prior convictions don't.... 

18 minutes ago, marinediscoking said:

He should have never been in the Country in the first place! I never understand why the British government lets criminals freely travel as soon as they are released from prison.

Lee Aldhouse, Patrick Molloy etc

They come here wreak havoc and this board has many who rush to their defense because they are British.

In America, once a criminal is released from prison they are not allowed to leave the state, must report to a probation officer regularly, and absolutely no chance of getting a passport for several years.

Would a convicted rapist go onto the Sex Offenders Register? I would hope so and would also hope that those on it; paedophiles included; would not be free to leave the UK to visit other countries and potentially repeat their offences there.

8 minutes ago, farcanell said:

I understand..... and guarantee you will be disappointed... sorry about that.

A life in Thai prison would only need to be 10 years. Most don't make it that long due to conditions and no I doubt I will. This looks very open and shut he will get the brunt of it. Running and hiding wont help.

6 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

A life in Thai prison would only need to me 10 years. Most don't make it that long due to conditions and no I doubt I will. This looks very open and shut he will get the brunt of it. Running and hiding wont help.

Even if he didn't run, or hide, or steal the phone he would likely be screwed anyway. 

A local girl was killed by a foreigner and that isn't going to go down well

Especially once the Thai judge heard he was       

1:  overstayed 

2:  convicted violent rapist 

3:  running from the UK police for drug dealing charges

I think they will throw the book at this guy and unless he has someone sending  money he won't even last a decade in Thai prison

not the brightest star in the sky given his criminal record, known fugitive, overstay and taking the risk on patio. would think he'd be extra super cautious to not do anything that could go wrong and attract attention / scrutiny

if you cant swim stay away from the water.

his iq has found the right geographic match.

A classic case for Visas for entry into Thailand.

I know I will put a cat among the pidgeons here but with his past convictions of drugs & sexual harrassement 

SEA is the last place he should be allowed to travel to, if he should be allowed out at all

Archived