Tachileik Border Run Info

Hey all,

I am currently thinking of going up to Chiang Rai and doing the border run to Tachileik(Myanmar) from there. Has anyone done this recently? If so what is the go at the border, is it 350 baht to get in and they hold on to your passport?

The thing is, this will be my 7th visa exempt entry since May 2017, HOWEVER it will be my very first land crossing.

I am assuming that I will be fine giving there is 2 crossings over land per calendar year and I have yet to use 1? Or do you think i will receive some questioning?

IF for whatever reason I was denied entry, would I be stuck in this small town? Or would I be able to get back to chiang rai to fly out?

Edited by micked58

You will pay 500 baht or $10 US for a border pass to enter Myanmar. They will not hold your passport.

You will not be question when you re-enter the country. Since the 2 visa exempt entry rule went into effect they just count those.

16 minutes ago, micked58 said:

IF for whatever reason I was denied entry, would I be stuck in this small town?

Tachileik is Not a small town; more than double the size of the Mae Sai border town on the Thai side;

they drive on the other side and their time is 30 minutes different than thai;

the farther you go into the city from the bridge, the more obvious it becomes that people there are unhappy;  i was playing golf, but aside from that , you have little need to stray far from the bridge;

they Used to keep the passports but that was before the radical changes in 2011;

if you are using the US 10$, make sure it is brand new crisp one;

there is a good sized market just after the border bridge, not as big as the one on the thai side, mae sai, but big enough; hotels also;

there is also a duty free shop just before the bridge on the myanmar side ;

note also the thai immig office at the bridge has hours-of-operation; closes at 6 if i recall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, micked58 said:

IF for whatever reason I was denied entry, would I be stuck in this small town? Or would I be able to get back to chiang rai to fly out?

If Thai immigration is not going to let you return, they will not allow you to leave Thailand unless you have an actual Myanmar visa. If you did have a Myanmar visa, and were denied entry to Thailand, it would be possible to fly from Tacilek to Yangon and thence internationally.

• Haha 1

Went there with my US boyfriend for a border hop on 26 Dec 2017.

He paid 500 baht for a border pass to enter Myanmar. 

They held his passport and told him to go shopping then he got it back while leaving Myanmar.

Thanks for the replies!!

One last question

I am now on visa exempt and will be extending it for 30 days at the start of march.

Entering overland will give me another 30 days with the option to extend at immigration for another 30 correct?

Cheers

Edited by micked58

I am now on visa exempt and will be extending it for 30 days at the start of march.

That is not possible, if visa-exempts from your country are for 30-days (per your next question).  Do you mean you need to stay until March, and your next out/in is to make that possible?

Entering overland will give me another 30 days with the option to extend at immigration for another 30 correct?

If you enter visa-exempt and get 30-days (not via bi-lateral agreement - i.e. Russia), you can extend that entry for 30 more days at an Immigration office.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:06 AM, YetAnother said:

Tachileik is Not a small town; more than double the size of the Mae Sai border town on the Thai side;

they drive on the other side and their time is 30 minutes different than thai;

the farther you go into the city from the bridge, the more obvious it becomes that people there are unhappy;  i was playing golf, but aside from that , you have little need to stray far from the bridge;

they Used to keep the passports but that was before the radical changes in 2011;

if you are using the US 10$, make sure it is brand new crisp one;

there is a good sized market just after the border bridge, not as big as the one on the thai side, mae sai, but big enough; hotels also;

there is also a duty free shop just before the bridge on the myanmar side ;

note also the thai immig office at the bridge has hours-of-operation; closes at 6 if i recall

Closes at 9pm (Thai time) since Jan 1, 2016.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 10:28 PM, JackThompson said:

That is not possible, if visa-exempts from your country are for 30-days (per your next question).  Do you mean you need to stay until March, and your next out/in is to make that possible?

If you enter visa-exempt and get 30-days (not via bi-lateral agreement - i.e. Russia), you can extend that entry for 30 more days at an Immigration office.

Hi Jack,

Sorry I mean I am going out on the 4th of march and then coming back in on the same day. Get another 30 days when I come back in then extend for another 30 days at immigration.

Mike

2 hours ago, micked58 said:

I am going out on the 4th of march and then coming back in on the same day. Get another 30 days when I come back in then extend for another 30 days at immigration.

If you leave and return on a 30-day visa-exempt entry, you could extend that entry for 30 days at immigration.  You can do this by land-border twice per calendar-year.

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2018 at 8:50 AM, ubonjoe said:

You will pay 500 baht or $10 US for a border pass to enter Myanmar. They will not hold your passport.

You will not be question when you re-enter the country. Since the 2 visa exempt entry rule went into effect they just count those.

Ubonjoe, 

You are just about to give me a panic attack.

I am back in LOS, ( after living in Pattaya and C.M. for a few years and then in the U.S.A.) , with a new U.S. p.p. that I got in Saigon this year. I have two (2) visa exempt entries, with extension on the last one, in this p.p. Flew in to C.M. every time.

Now I was convinced that I could go by bus to Mae Sai and Tachilek and walk back and get a new visa exempt. This is next week I am talking about.  I understood that there were unlimited visa exempt entries allowed if by land in one year.

You said above there is a 2 visa exempt rule in effect now? Is that right? 

Why did I not get a T.V. in the first place. ? I thought it was to much trouble and was not sure if it was going to be here of Vietnam that I wanted to end up.  

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CHiangMaiMuu said:

Ubonjoe, 

You are just about to give me a panic attack.

I am back in LOS, ( after living in Pattaya and C.M. for a few years and then in the U.S.A.) , with a new U.S. p.p. that I got in Saigon this year. I have two (2) visa exempt entries, with extension on the last one, in this p.p. Flew in to C.M. every time.

Now I was convinced that I could go by bus to Mae Sai and Tachilek and walk back and get a new visa exempt. This is next week I am talking about.  I understood that there were unlimited visa exempt entries allowed if by land in one year.

You said above there is a 2 visa exempt rule in effect now? Is that right? 

Why did I not get a T.V. in the first place. ? I thought it was to much trouble and was not sure if it was going to be here of Vietnam that I wanted to end up.  

He is referring to 2 visa exempt entries BY LAND per calendar year.  If you haven't done 2 by land this year you can, in theory, do one next week.  I go over the border into Tachilek often and have noticed recently that almost every time I go a foreigner is held up at immigration on exit (unless you have a visa for Myanmar, Thai immigration will not let you exit if they intend on not allowing you back in).  Please let others know how the crossing went by posting on this thread next week.  Good luck.

If Thai immigration is not going to let you return, they will not allow you to leave Thailand unless you have an actual Myanmar visa. If you did have a Myanmar visa, and were denied entry to Thailand, it would be possible to fly from Tacilek to Yangon and thence internationally.

Fly from Tacilek to Yangon, how ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app