Russian, Thai and Korean killed in motorcycle accident in Pattaya

webfact

Agree with all the message posters here for this senseless loss of life.  I've seen the Beach Road is a favourite for all the show-offs racing along it. And since it was widened about 3 years ago crossing it without a good ability to calculate the speed of approaching traffic is awful, never mind after having a beer. Areas of Pattaya should be pedestrianised. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, balo said:

Did he have any experience riding this type of big bikes ?  Probably not , maybe he not even had the license to ride it. They should not be allowed to rent out to tourists but tell that to the people earning good money on this .  It can't be stopped. RIP. 

Look at it this way, one less high power bike on the road especially when you got a pee brain renting it, never even thought about renting one since the stats show here in Thailand riding a 125 cc can get you killed plus I'm sure there is no insurance on the bike for this type of damage so it is good lost for the shop one less in their inventory?  There is a reason insurance company charge more for insurance for someone 22 years, the brain hasn't fully developed and this was a clear case that it hadn't.

What is it with the Russian, a few years ago didn't one cut himself in half?  It isn't just them get a load on the MidEast guys who act like monkeys with the big rental around the Marina Hotel? 

Here we go, the clear answer is to ban alcohol, all forms of motorisepsed transport, all pharmaceuticals and/or walking under the influence....hell, might as well make androgyny mandatory to eliminate any "gender" related bs too... farque moi!

Speed bumps 

Radar for speed control everywhere 

Big fine 10k to the owner of the car or motorbikes if not pay confiscate the car/motorbike that will in the end lower the death toll 

But ofcores there will always be lunatics in this world 

P. S.  Make more traffic light and ofcores make them work all time

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The authorities can try whatever methods they think will keep road deaths down, {7-7-7 comes to mind), but nothing will work when a 22 y.o.tourist hires a high-powered bike, riding it, thinking he is Valentino Rossi, and killing innocent people in the process.

R.I.P. to the innocent victims.

I agree completely, yet I must add that "tourist groups" often cross roads carelessly without any attention for incoming traffic, just hoping it will stop in time.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

22 year old and living in Pattaya.  I don't think he was here doing medical research or pursuing religious studies. How does a 22 year old Russian manage to stay in Pattaya when there are all sorts of  immigration barriers that legit people have to get around?

His father lives in Pattaya.....

5 hours ago, connda said:

My first week in Chiang Mai I came inches from being hit by a regular 100/125 type motorcycle that blew through zebra crossing I was in the middle of with pedestrian light green and the traffic light above me red.  Never saw the moron as he came from in between two cars on a three lane, one-way road.  That was my first lesson regarding the danger and utter stupidity of Thai driving.  Still jerks a reaction out of me simply thinking about.  It now interesting the habits I've developed instinctively.  Cross a road and my eyes are constantly scanning both directions, always looking at the periphery, scanning.  What gets you will come from the direction you least expect.  When I turn onto dual lane carriageways or one way roads, it's instinct: look to see if someone is driving down the road the wrong way.  I don't even think about it any more. 

Back in the UK we were taught common sense 40 years ago and it still holds good today. SPLINK!

9 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

He is not a victim 

The Korean man are the victim 

All 3 are victims - the russian is a victim of his own stupidity and the 2 other became victims as a result of that....

6 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

No "speed limit" signs anywhere + no "pedestrian crossings" anywhere.

The above 2 =carnage and death. 

But there are fancy red and white striped crossings as well as 40 khm signs painted on the road in numerous places around Pattaya -but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the behaviour of drivers and neither do you see police react to infringement at these locations:blink:

Yes, I drove past that wreck last night, nasty. The Russian must have been going very fast because there was 100 meters between where the girl passenger ended up in the median, the bike and then the driver appeared to have been run over by an SUV. Lots of traffic going by that horrific scene and after that everyone, especially motorbikes, driving very slowly, safely. Too bad people don't have longer lasting memories. I do !

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

I got hit by a motorcycle taxi on Beach Road near Festival. I didn't see him because he was behind a van, then sped around it. Now I am fearful crossing a street. Would have been hard for the Korean to see the Russian coming. The Russian was probably swerving around vehicles. The idea of stopping traffic for pedestrians was a good idea in principle. 

Russians are the worst drivers in the world. Thousands of YouTube dashcam clips can't be wrong. A paradise for driving lunatics.

19 minutes ago, Montnoveau said:

Russians are the worst drivers in the world. Thousands of YouTube dashcam clips can't be wrong. A paradise for driving lunatics.

Yes I see that video's too I think same kind of disrespect for life as Thai 

Russian and Thai are almost same kind of people 

5 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Crossing a road, especially Beach Rd and Second Rd are the hazardous moments of anyone's day in Pattaya. And at night truly dangerous. 

Speed bumps is the only answer, since there is no law enforcement here, speed bumps is the only way to stop city streets turning into highway.  Not even highway, more like a race track, except race track with people walking across it. 

3 mnths after beach rd/freeway was built the laid down 5 speed bumps..the gradual rise type..they were perfect...but alas a young speeding thai boy launched his scooter,when he speed over the bump in front of the a one hotel ,and hit a tree,it was said he had connections and they removed all the bumps..true story...but I agree ,these rds/freeways need some sort of obsticles ''trees ,meridians''....

55 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Yes, I drove past that wreck last night, nasty. The Russian must have been going very fast because there was 100 meters between where the girl passenger ended up in the median, the bike and then the driver appeared to have been run over by an SUV. Lots of traffic going by that horrific scene and after that everyone, especially motorbikes, driving very slowly, safely. Too bad people don't have longer lasting memories. I do !

Is there a median on beach road now?  Can you specify where it is exactly?

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

Is there a median on beach road now?  Can you specify where it is exactly?

Nowhere near beach road and not Soi 7 Jomtien. It happened on Thappraya Rd midway between Patty and Jomtien.

Got me thinking of giving up the motorbike.

12 hours ago, smedly said:

and not a thing will change or be learned from this avoidable tragedy, pay the money and off you go, doesn't matter about a licence who gives a toss, and the renter of this death machine will never be held accountable **MONEY NUMBER ONE** for renting to someone unqualified to ride

Three people are now dead because of lack of regulation and allowing this kid to hire something he shouldn't, a motorcycle like this requires years of training and experience to ride safely - he very obviously had no such skills the fact he was speeding on beach road

RIP to all concerned - how tragic and all in the name of money and corruption 

How do you know the bike was rented?

How do you know the Russian had no license?

How do you know he was inexperienced?

I did not see any of your conclusions backed up in either article. 

But I do agree with you on one point;

I hope all 3 victims of this terrible accident will rest in peace. 

I did similar stupid things when I was 22.  Maybe not quite as stupid as this guy or maybe just as stupid and I was more lucky, who knows.  Ultimately you're never going to stop 22 year olds being 22 year olds.  You can try and make it harder for them but they'll still find a way.

The whole management and attitude about pedestrians need to change....

very few actual lighted pedestrian crossings via smart signals....actually never seen one as part of a 4 way intersection...they do have a couple in CM city but not at intersections...

pedestrians themselves are at blame here also as they cross anywhere everywhere and not use overpasses bridges walkways....to minimize at risk vs drivers here who don't stop or yield to pedestrians anyway...

starts with education ( in theory) and proper gov leadership

17 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

How do you know the bike was rented?

How do you know the Russian had no license?

How do you know he was inexperienced?

I did not see any of your conclusions backed up in either article. 

But I do agree with you on one point;

I hope all 3 victims of this terrible accident will rest in peace. 

Actually looks like the kid lived here with his father who I am sure is devastated along with the other victims families.

His FB page showed a photo of the bike. Lost my son 24 in a car wreck in 2014, wasn't wearing a seatbelt which was dumb. Worst thing I ever went through. Kids do dumb stuff, we all did, but that doesn't change the fact these people had families that loved them and are now going through a living hell. Give them a break, show some respect, put yourself in their shoes. Everyone realizes what could have / should have been done but right now is not the time to blow off steam.

R.I.P to these young people and may their families one day find peace.

Archived